Conservative voters motivated by recent rulings and political environment?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AA&E

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 4, 2014
    Southern Indiana
    A liberal classmate of mine had made a facebook post about it being a hard week on conservatives with recent rulings. I personally feel this has the potential to rally conservative voters and seriously impact the next election cycle. Perhaps people that would be less likely to show up at the polls will actually realize that standing on the side lines has allowed things to get to this point. Opinions?

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Lawrence County
    If true conservatives ever want to win major elections they need to get off moral battles they can not win and concentrate on the important political issues - Fiscal conservatism for instance. Trying to legislate morality will never put a conservative at the head seat. My personal religious views have nothing to do with balancing the budget and putting Americans back to work. So, my opinion?...let it go. Get back to fiscal responsibility and sound foreign affairs policies!

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    I think there are a lot of people who are only motivated to vote if they perceive the pendulum has swung too far in either direction. I guess we will see if that is true.

findingZzero

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2012
    N WIndy
    If true conservatives ever want to win major elections they need to get off moral battles they can not win and concentrate on the important political issues - Fiscal conservatism for instance. Trying to legislate morality will never put a conservative at the head seat. My personal religious views have nothing to do with balancing the budget and putting Americans back to work. So, my opinion?...let it go. Get back to fiscal responsibility and sound foreign affairs policies!

*********************************BINGO!*******************************************

.....and, shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.............

olhorseman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    Middle of nowhere NC
    Oh no, I need morally superior conservatives and socially aware liberals to tell me I'm immoral or unjust. Otherwise, how will I ever know.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    I am not really sure what to expect. The other potential consequence of recent events is to arrive at the conclusion that your vote doesn't make a damned bit of difference and sit back until events prohibited from discussion on INGO start happening, which everything I know about history tells me that they necessarily will sooner or later unless we have a significant change in direction. When you let the walls crumble, the ceiling WILL fall in, just a question of when. The S WILL hit the fan, and there WILL be chaos. Addressing the fiscal responsibility, economic problems, and foreign policy problems will be adequate to deal with this much of the problem.

As for social/moral issues, I am not willing to accept the notion of legalized murder. I have a major problem with explicit or implied government endorsement of certain activities which have won big in recent memory, and the fight has gone beyond equal rights which were offered without social endorsement quite some time back into acceptance enforced by the government. Take this in combination with the oligarchic role being assumed by the Supremes and the trend toward policing thought, and at some point you likely will, in retrospect, reconsider the importance of moral issues. That said, I do not see some of the positions taken by a number of folks to be politically tenable in the present, but think it through before potentially throwing the baby out with the bath water.

I would argue that the biggest problem in recent elections has been the lack of a conservative candidate. Romney or McStupid? Get real! Being marginally better than the alternative isn't going to do it. Campaigning such as to reach for more or less dead center against the hard left isn't going to do it. Asking voters to punish Obama for ObamaCare by running the man who invented it and is calling for repealing and REPLACING it isn't going to do it. If anyone wants a significant turnout, there is a need for a choice that is more significant than Coke vs. Pepsi. At best, we have the illusion of choice and the last week or so has demonstrated that the person(s) in office make very little difference in the outcomes, therefore our votes make very little difference in the outcomes. Sure, we have won a few victories here and there, but they are really insignificant in contrast with the representative republic being ripped out from under us. Court rulings like Heller and better reciprocity are just fine, but in the end, they are little more than shiny things that are distracting us which can easily be reversed in the future with little or no recourse as the nature of our government changes into the very abomination our founders warned us to guard against.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    If folks focus on fiscal conservancy they will find the rest of that stuff follows anyway...since a fiscal conservative tends to be a responsible adult with some values. It's the ones who want to spend every last red cent that have a tendency to lack of control in all aspects of life.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    If folks focus on fiscal conservancy they will find the rest of that stuff follows anyway...since a fiscal conservative tends to be a responsible adult with some values. It's the ones who want to spend every last red cent that have a tendency to lack of control in all aspects of life.

Good point. My concern is that this only works until we pass the point where more people vote for a living than work for a living. A friend made mention of a book he had read written by a woman who was raised in the 'hood and says she was 15 years old before she realized that there were people who worked for a living. Scary thought.

MisterChester

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 25, 2013
    The Compound

You speak like it's impossible to be fiscally conservative and socially liberal. I feel like many of us on INGO fall into this category.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    All this talk I'm hearing about sponsoring constitutional amendments for marriage and making it so justices are subject to retention elections, etc are just a waste of time and effort. On the other hand, I have no problem with them speaking their minds on the poor legal justifications for both of the big cases announced this year and trying to turn the public's opinion on what is constitutional and what is not.

But let's not kid ourselves, as I heard Rush say Friday, until something changes, conservatism will be relegated to tweaking liberal legislation. Any fiscal stuff that a Paul, Cruz, Walker, et al will propose will be rebuked by the liberals and the culture. I'm skeptical that even if one of these guys that is promising to repeal SCOBAMAUTScare would even get the chance, even if the repubicans hold both chambers the first 2 years of his/her term.

findingZzero

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2012
    N WIndy
    After "do unto others", I'd like to nominate "don't just be fair, be generous" as a (suggested) moral imperative.

And yes, JJ I believe Republicans, if not conservatives, distract the working class with social issues whilst they help the big boys grab all the pie.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    After "do unto others", I'd like to nominate "don't just be fair, be generous" with other people's money as a (suggested) moral imperative.

And yes, JJ I believe Republicans, if not conservatives, distract the working class with social issues whilst they help the big boys grab all the pie.

FIFY to better reflect the reality of your position. We know exactly how you mean it.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I am not really sure what to expect. The other potential consequence of recent events is to arrive at the conclusion that your vote doesn't make a damned bit of difference and sit back until events prohibited from discussion on INGO start happening, which everything I know about history tells me that they necessarily will sooner or later unless we have a significant change in direction.

If your side loses, your vote likely didn't make much difference. That's pretty much how elections work. In a society, no one gets their own way all the time. I'm sure "the other side" feels equally disenfranchised that we can still burn coal and buy 30 round magazines.

The problem with your "True Conservative" nominee is that no significant portion of the population even agrees on what a "True Conservative" looks like. Most of the people being labeled as such are tied heavily into social issues that simply don't resonate, and indeed alienate, many voters. What is the True Conservative plan to address the even widening wage gap and concentration of wealth in the hands of fewer and fewer people? What is the True Conservative plan to address corruption in the banking sector that continues to exist? What is the True Conservative plan to address the ever bigger chunk of GDP health care eats up? Has any True Conservative gotten out in front of any of these issues and pushed them? If so, are they effectively getting that message out? Or is the noise about social issues, like if we need a Constitutional amendment to ban gay marriage taking the lead? In a climate where the majority seem to be just fine with gay marriage being legal? The folks who don't think it should be legal, is that the Big Issue they weight heavily when deciding who to vote for? Probably not. So is that the message that should be taking the lead? Probably not, unless you need to stir up the base.

MisterChester

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 25, 2013
    The Compound
    Related... better hope the SCOTUS doesn't get more liberal. Two justices suggested today that the death penalty (in the constitution) is unconstitutional.

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...ion-permitted-if-execution-attempt-fails.html

Although increased conservative voting on recent issues may be somewhat misguided... I'm all for it if it prevents the Supreme Court from going more blue.

At one point it was unconstitutional, but it was later overturned. I have mixed feelings about it. It should be reserved for the most egregious of crimes, but there's always a chance an innocent person can be put to death and that has happened. I'd rather not have it than risk an innocent person being executed wrongfully.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    If your side loses, your vote likely didn't make much difference. That's pretty much how elections work. In a society, no one gets their own way all the time. I'm sure "the other side" feels equally disenfranchised that we can still burn coal and buy 30 round magazines.

My point is that the with the exception of a handful of issues used to jab at people, the teleprompter says the same thing regardless of who is reading it or that person's party affiliation.

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    After "do unto others", I'd like to nominate "don't just be fair, be generous" as a (suggested) moral imperative.

I agree, but even a cursory examination shows that the Democrats, if not the Left, do the same thing. "War on Women" (while Hillary takes donations from countries that oppress women and pays the money out in salaries to her flunkies)? What's Hillary's position on Big Trade Deals? Does it differ significantly from her husband's? Doesn't that help keep shoving the pie up the food chain? Does it help the Middle Class earn better wages?

The intelligent conclusion would be that the members of the Middle Class squabble over their pet social issues, because it's the last thing remaining where there are still prizes on the table able to be won. Everything else (the economic issues) has already been pushed so far out of the Middle Class's reach, there's almost little point left in talking about it. Why bother when both parties agree? Might as well spend our time on things we have a chance of influencing. Heck, that's why so many of us sit here and preach gun rights issues to our choir-mates...it's not set in stone yet, there are battles left to be won which we can actually influence with our money and time, and we're winning - mostly, for now.

You're not going to try to tell me both parties don't basically agree on the Economic stuff...are you? (whizzzz..click! Bait hits water...remember your next President before answering).

Last edited:
    Top Bottom