Considering a Pistol Caliber Carbine...which is best?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • profjeremy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jun 30, 2020
    Indianapolis
    BINGO! Looks like we have a winner folks!
    The .357 magnum is probably my all time favorite load!

I promise that I'm not trying to start a caliber war or anything remotely like that, but I'm just curious as to the reasons why several of you like .357 Magnum over other calibers/loads. Just interested in understanding what you all consider when you identify a "favorite".

MindfulMan

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 14, 2016
    Indiana
    I promise that I'm not trying to start a caliber war or anything remotely like that, but I'm just curious as to the reasons why several of you like .357 Magnum over other calibers/loads. Just interested in understanding what you all consider when you identify a "favorite".

I like it because of the power (ft./lbs of energy) that it possesses for it's compact size. Also, I enjoy rounds that have a large thump (recoil) when you shoot it. For example, a .22 LR round provides little enjoyment to me.

When I pull the trigger, I want to know that I'm sending something downrange ! A .357 magnum does that for me. :)

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    Pistol caliber carbine versus a magnum revolver cartridge rifle?
    That's two different machines suited to two different sets of purposes that just happen to have some overlap.

As long as we're already here, wouldn't a .357Sig be the cats meow? But then there's the ammo availability boogerbear.

But seeing as I roll my own, this is what I'd like a carbine to shoot for when the bunnies get uppity in the garden.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/8mm_French_Ordnance

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    10mm and Underwood, Buffalo Bore, or Doubletap ammunition. That would be a beast of a PCC.

Still waiting for a Ruger PC10 but definitely not holding my breath.

profjeremy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jun 30, 2020
    Indianapolis
    I like it because of the power (ft./lbs of energy) that it possesses for it's compact size. Also, I enjoy rounds that have a large thump (recoil) when you shoot it. For example, a .22 LR round provides little enjoyment to me.

When I pull the trigger, I want to know that I'm sending something downrange ! A .357 magnum does that for me. :)

I’ve never shot a .357 Magnum, but it sounds very similar to the way I feel about shooting 10mm. Some of the Underwood rounds I’ve had are rated up around 800ft/lbs (not factoring in the 8” barrel of my Banshee). Even though I’ve never shot them at anything but paper, I love the difference in thump as compared to 9mm!

Top Bottom