• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • m2steven

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2009
    I feel a 380 shooting something like Buffalo Bore is a real option for self defense. I have a Sig P238 and it's been super reliable for me (100 percent). It's light, has a real safety, shoots like a creampuff and has a super trigger. Some people have had real problems with the magazines and springs.

I have a TCP and it's been 100 percent reliable and I think it's trigger is good and it shoots very easy.

I also have a Colt Mustang and it's about the easiest to carry as it's so smooth. It's a lot like the P238 but it's quite a bit heavier and doesn't have night sights. It's also 100 percent reliable.

My LCP is 100 percent, but I just HATE shooting it. It's simply not an enjoyable experience. I do a lot of forum reading and by far the LCP is
    the most reliable 380 in existence.

The sleeper in the bunch is my Bersa 380 compact. It has a great trigger, low recoil and is again 100 percent reliable so far. It's a tad thicker than some of the other pistols, but it's a beautiful and well balanced piece.

Anyway, as you can see I have a fetish for these small pistols. I do own an S&W 642 and feel more confident carrying it than anything but a couple of Glocks I have. The 642 is light, accurate, can come with laser sight, and WILL fire everytime the trigger is pulled. It's just a bit too large for most pocket carry but with a good holster can be carried beneath most clothing.

hoosierfishing

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Jul 17, 2010
    I would like to add with the LCP not only do you have a reliable pocket pistol but you can also add the +1 mag extension and have 8 rounds of 380 in your pocket. Potent little package in my opinion. Not sure if this extension is a option with other pocket guns.

slacker

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Indianapols, IN
    I have the PF9, and it is slightly larger than the true pocket guns, but it is still very concealable.

I can tell you one thing though, it is not fun to shoot. Very snappy and pretty uncomfortable, but in a pinch it can get the job done. Accuracy is pretty decent since it has real sights (compared to p3at or lcp). The mag extension makes it a little more comfortable to shoot, but also increases the size.

byggpoppa

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    NW Indy
    I have NO idea what the attraction to the small, magazine fed .380s for pocket guns is all about. None.

A J-frame smith works so well, is so light, conceals so easily, and a simple Bianchi suede clip holster can be tucked into the waistband, tossed into a pocket or clipped onto your seatbelt.. I honestly dont know why someone would mess with tiny autos.

They are also much harder to draw from the pocket than a J, which has a nice curved handle that conforms to your pockets shape.

And their trigger pulls are INSANE horrible in every example I have tried.

.38+P Cor Bon DPX is a comforting round to have 5 of in your pocket.

I personally, would be hard pressed to carry anything else "In-Pockito"

What he said... and if you have the loot a 340 PD with some .38 Special +p and you have an uber-concealable, super lightweight gun that you'll actually carry that has proven sufficient effective stopping power. Yes it's a bit snappy... but with PRACTICE it's a non-issue.

nate77

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    Bunker Hill
    Can't speak for the Ruger, although I have much respect for the brand.

The more I shoot my 738, the more I love it!

Being a thin guy & desiring to carry everywhere, it was tough to find a piece that provided some power, decent accuracy & great conceal-ability.

I will say this: I'm fine carrying a load of Winchester White Box FMJ's. Not sure, but I don't believe the TCP likes the hotter loads.

Matter of fact, I had about 200 rounds through mine without a jam. Let a friend borrow it & he complained it jammed nearly every round. Found out he was running hotter 'self defense' rounds through it.

Have been running WWB through with generally no problem, but am finding extractor issues now. Nothing serious, but... like I said, probably best not to get carried away with powerhouse munitions.

Hafta clean it well and often. Which is not a bad idea for anything you'd carry in your front pocket, anyway.

The more I shoot it, the more accurate I get with it, and the more I love it.

My TCP is totally reliable with Speer Gold Dots, and Winchester PDX1's, both hot defensive hollow points; of course that is after my gun took a trip to Miami, and had the slide replaced.

If your gun handles Winchester white box, it should handle anything you throw at it, since the white box ammo seems to be the most troublesome load on the Taurus forum.

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    I looked at some of the small .380s and had a chance to pick up a KelTec p3at in good shape at a pretty good price. I passed on it because I hated how it felt in my hand. I've got pretty big hands so it wasn't happening. I liked the LCR much more than the LCP and the p3at. I'll probably end up with another S&W though. I've been looking at the M649 .357 2.1" and the M&P 340 .357.

Michiana

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 3, 2008
    Granger
    I've had several and going for #5

I've owned and fired a Kel-Tec P-3AT, Ruger LCP, Taurus TCP and a Diamondback DB380 and I am expecting delivery Monday of a Sig P238. I would rate them all as decent shooters, the LCP being the nicest of the four pocket guns. I haven't shot the Sig yet but it is a little larger than the others and I am wondering how it will feel in my pocket. I believe I held all the 380's at the shot show and the Jiminiz can run $150 and the Rohrbaugh can cost you $1,200.

The beauty of these guns is that they are so easy to carry you never leave home without it. With a larger firearm I sometimes said to myself "I have my 357 in the car so I won't bother packing a 40S&W today due to ____ (fill in the blank)". My pocket gun is always in my pocket and becomes second nature.

I have experienced at least a few FTF and FTE on all of them during the break in periods and each one liked some brands of ammo over others. It comes down to individual taste in how they look and feel and how much you are willing to spend; you can get a Kel-Tec for $225 and a Ruger for $269 which should fit within most peoples budgets.

Last edited:

Wheeler78

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 20, 2010
    NWI
    lol guess i should update this i went to the gun shop and held them all (ludco has a HUGE stock btw) i ended up going with a P-11 not so much a pocket gun but it's still pretty small and i kind of wish i would of looked around alittle more and spent a little more and gotten a PF-9... live and learn.

jamstutz

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 9, 2008
    Berne
    lol guess i should update this i went to the gun shop and held them all (ludco has a HUGE stock btw) i ended up going with a P-11 not so much a pocket gun but it's still pretty small and i kind of wish i would of looked around alittle more and spent a little more and gotten a PF-9... live and learn.

I've owned and shot both the PF-9 and the P-11. The trigger is a little bit nicer on the PF-9, but I found the P-11 to be much more reliable with a wider range of ammunition. You did well. :twocents:

Top Bottom