• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Fearthewolf

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Goshen, IN
    Alright, so my grandpa has an AR that he's never used because he doesnt have anyone to go shooting with, so this helps us both out, he gets a shooting buddy and I get an AR :D. So pretty much what im looking for is something in 7.62 or 5.56 that would be fine to run wolf/silver bear through, pretty much the cheap russian stuff. And this will also be my SHTF gun, so 7.62 is looking a little better, but im open to caliber ideas! I really just want to keep it under 1k. Thanks all!

baldmax

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    57   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    North Liberty
    You can run steel cased ammo through any AR. There are several ARs in the classifieds. What length of barrel are you wanting? What kind of sighting system are you wanting? What ranges are you looking at shooting? The 5.56/.223 AR will be cheaper to shoot than the 7.62(unless you are looking at the 7.62x39). You can get a good AR-15 under $1000. Good luck.

Electronrider

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    White County
    Get yourself an A3 style flat top. That way you can either mount irons, or optics without a problem.

If you want a SHTF rifle, you want light and small. I would recommend one with a 16" barrel.

Adjustable buttstocks are very nice when you have other people not your size shooting your rifle.

Stag, DPMS, PSA, and many others make a rifle in this configuration for under 800 dollars.

AR15.com is and excellent resource for figuring out what you want to build or buy.

Good luck and post pics!

Fearthewolf

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Goshen, IN
    You can run steel cased ammo through any AR. There are several ARs in the classifieds. What length of barrel are you wanting? What kind of sighting system are you wanting? What ranges are you looking at shooting? The 5.56/.223 AR will be cheaper to shoot than the 7.62(unless you are looking at the 7.62x39). You can get a good AR-15 under $1000. Good luck.

I wont be shooting at any further than 100 yards most likely. And I guess I heard that some AR's run steel ammo better than other, could jus1t me a myth haha. But ueah, I was lookig at 7.62x39, thats what his shoots and we could just split a case and go shooting. And I honestly am a huge fan of iron sights when it comes to ARs, wouldnt mind a dot sight but at 100 yards or les bads not a huge issue. And to be completely honest, I have no idea about barrel length on an AR, I know it varies but thats about it. Thanks for the reply!

Fearthewolf

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Goshen, IN
    Get yourself an A3 style flat top. That way you can either mount irons, or optics without a problem.

If you want a SHTF rifle, you want light and small. I would recommend one with a 16" barrel.

Adjustable buttstocks are very nice when you have other people not your size shooting your rifle.

Stag, DPMS, PSA, and many others make a rifle in this configuration for under 800 dollars.

AR15.com is and excellent resource for figuring out what you want to build or buy.

Good luck and post pics!

I like the idea of small and light but its not a must, and the adjustable stock is a great idea!my gf is only 5'2" and shes bound to want to shoot it sometime! And ill check out that website for sure, thanks man!

jjohnson

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 1, 2011
    I have a dpms 5.56. I really like this gun and it was very affordable at the time I bought it. I gave $700 out the door for the basic carbine model. This particular brand voids the warranty if you shoot any kind of foreign ammo through it. I personally only shoot brass through mine. I don't want to take any chances on messing my gun up.

cassaireland05

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 1, 2012
    Hillsboro IN
    You should be able to find a 7.62x39 or 5.56 cheaper than 1k. I got my dpms AR 10 for 1k. I love it but way more pricey and i don't think you can shoot it at gun ranges but i don't know. If you want a cheaper round I would go with the 5.56 it cheaper and its easier to find right now than a .223 I think the 5.56 is better than the 7.62x39. Good Luck! :)

chuddly

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jan 17, 2012
    Eminence, IN
    You should be able to find a 7.62x39 or 5.56 cheaper than 1k. I got my dpms AR 10 for 1k. I love it but way more pricey and i don't think you can shoot it at gun ranges but i don't know. If you want a cheaper round I would go with the 5.56 it cheaper and its easier to find right now than a .223 I think the 5.56 is better than the 7.62x39. Good Luck! :)

WOW...just ....WOW. So much mis-information here it is scary. Im just going to tackle a couple of these and leave the rest for someone else. The statement of "I don't think you can shoot it at gun ranges" is a broad and far to general statement because that all depends on the range and what they allow. The major thing that bit me on your statement was " 5.56 it cheaper and its easier to find right now than a .223". Little do you know that the 5.56 and the .223 are actually an ALL BUT IDENTICAL round. MANY AR-15's are made to fire both. The only difference is the throat depth with the 5.56 being ever so slightly deeper (don't remember the exact number) than the .223. And as far as it being easier to find... that's like saying its easier to find 12 egg cartons than eggs that come in cartons of a dozen. Also calling the 5.56 round better than the 7.62 round is way to broad of a statement as well. The 7.62 will defiantly punch a bigger hole....BUT looses energy very fast and wont want to travel as far with out a ton of drop. The 5.56 round is much smaller but with its powder to weight ratio and its smaller shape it fly's much further with better accuracy.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    If you ware wanting a rifle chambered in 7.62x39, I would go with an AK. I thought about an upper in 7.62x39, but have read a lot of negative comments trying to find mags that will reliably feed. I have no first hand experience, it's just what I have read.

Fearthewolf

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Goshen, IN
    I've been looking around on the internet and found that I can get oodles and oodles of 5.56/223 for really cheap, so I think I might just go that way. But the big question IS should I get it chambered in 5.56 or 223? Or do most ARs only come in 5.56? I know their is a difference between the two with the pressure and size of the bullet (correct me if im wrong) but would it be better to get 5.56 so I can buy either of the ammo types? Thanks for all the great replies and info though!

davedolli

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    106   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    Clinton IN
    Get one in 5.56, and it will shoot either 5.56 or .223 with no problems. I shoot both all the time in all my ARs. If you get one chambered in .223, then that is all you should shoot. The cal markings that matter for this are on the barrel, not the lower.

Dave

chuddly

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jan 17, 2012
    Eminence, IN
    Also bullet size is exactly the same and pressure is the same depending on the powder charge. Only difference is the case. I went with .223/5.56 and wouldnt do it any different. A buddy of mine did a AR-10 in 308 and he loves it...but doesnt shoot it like he wants to because of the price of the rounds.

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    Yep, go with .556. You can get a nice AR15 in your range. I built (bought a stripped PSA lower and a rifle kit) a really nice 16" Palmetto State Armory rifle for right around $800. I'm actually thinking about this rifle kit to finish off my spare lower. 16'' Hammer Forged Mid-Length Light Profile Rifle Kit - Rifle Kits - AR-15 Just buy a stripped lower from them (if you'd get both, make it separate orders to save money), pick up the lower at your friendly FFL, and spend an hour watching videos and putting it together slowly (my first lower took maybe 30 minutes because I was distracted by the phone).

If you want to buy one off the shelf, stop by ZX Gun and see what they've got. I haven't purchased anything from them but I've talked to them at a gun show, seem to have good prices and are helpful.

Patriot3

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 11, 2012
    Kokomo
    I personally have an ak47 and i had a ar15. The ar was great but i liked the simplicity and conviency the ak had with the cleaning rod and pouch inside the buttstock. So that you had everything you needed when you picked the gun up

flashG8

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2012
    Personaly i'd go with the AR, I just bought a brand new Stag model 3 that comes with alum forend with flat top rails and colapsable stock for $820. Ammo is going up but .223 is easy to find I got 1000 rounds with mine for $320

Top Bottom