• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Citizen711

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 8, 2010
    Fishers
    I didn't want to hijack Hickman's thread, so I'll ask here.

I've been deer hunting (or hunting of any sort, really) only once in my life, but we didn't even see any, much less bag one. The fact is, I was kind of glad we didn't. Sound strange? I'm sure it is, but I'll tell you why.

The fact of the matter is, while I have no problem with the notion of shooting animals (game), I've never cared for the thought of dealing with the carcasses. I don't find it particularly gross - I've worked for a butcher before and did my fair share of beef and poultry cutting. What I *do* find it, however, is a little creepy. Handling a freshly killed animal is just more than a little unsettling for me. Heaven forbid some sort of postmortem nervous twitch or something happen - I would probably squeal like a little girl, turn and run dead into a tree. If I were a wealthy man, I would probably hire someone to come along and carry my gear/deal with the kills for me. :D

I've had to handle dead pets before, and I think the only reason that wasn't so bad was the fact that they were more or less part of the family, and it was easy to show them the respect they deserved after passing.

Anyone else had to adjust to hunting in this regard?

hammer24

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    That's part of it. Something everyone who hunts has to adjust and get used to. I find every part of taking an animal enjoyable except gutting. Preparing to hunt, hunting, the shot, skinning, butchering, I enjoy it all...except gutting. You get used to it quickly, and trudge through it, but it isn't pleasant.

Now I know people who hunt that actually have a hard time pulling the trigger on an animal due to some sensability that escapes me. They like to be in the woods and see the animals, but have a hard time with the actual killing part.

Like anything else, hunting isn't for everybody. If a person isn't willing to do what they must from hoof to freezer it isn't for them.

Right now, your feelings are based on inexperience. If you want to hunt, go out and do it. Experience taking an animal and all that comes with it (physical, emotional, and psychological). Then re-evaluate if it is for you.

Mike H

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Vincennes
    No I have never even thought about that.
    Heck, I like it all including gutting, skinning and butehering.......that means that I was successful in harvesting game. Why pay when I am capable? The more involved I am the better.
    As a kid my brother and I raised some rabbits for the skillet. We took care of those too!

GLOCK1982

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 17, 2010
    PARKE CO.
    Remember when you shoot and animal to feed yourself and your family, you must show it respect. That animal will eventually become a part of you as you consume it. That part that may be "creepy" is part of it as the other members state above. You will learn to get through it quickly with practice and preparation. You do it enough it becomes so quick and painless all you can think about while doing it is my favorite part. THE DINNER TABLE!!!

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    For every silver lining, there must be a cloud.

I was somewhat taken aback when I dropped my first white-tail, a 9-point buck, just over 30 years ago. I had hunted and cleaned my own rabbit and squirrel for as long as I could remember, but this was much bigger.

It was then a friend taught me that they're all mammals. Some are just larger than others.:dunno::rolleyes:

There's really nothing glamorous or pretty about the dressing of game.
    Like any mammal, leaving the carcass long enough for the body to bleed out and breathing to cease, greatly diminishes the chances of an after-death "twitch", however cutting through some muscles and tendons will trigger movement for a long time.

The part I find most offensive is the smell. I overcome this by breathing mostly through my mouth during the gutting.

If you decide to battle your fears and tackle the job "yourself", get some help, and by this I just mean some-one who can wash the meat, and package if nothing else. It's quite a bit of work to butcher a deer, but I gladly do it several times a year.

It's something you will never forget, and I doubt you will regret it either. It brings you very close to nature to hunt, process, and cook your own food.

It's all part of the process

NDhunter

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    North Central IN
    I've never really thought about this as it is something I guess I just took for granted growing up around it. I think I was hanging off of dad's deer in pictures when i was three. I can see from your viewpoint how it would be a little bit of an unnerving circumstance.

I'd say get some accompaniment the first time if you can from someone experienced, and you can feed off of their 'calmness'. I really don't think you'll have a problem with it after the first time or two, it will begin to just feel natural, but until then, I'd tackle it as a team.

I wouldn't suggest eating the heart 'Red Dawn' style on your first kill in your case ;)

inlineman

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 16, 2012
    I suggest watching a few videos on field dressing on youtube otherwise you will most likely have an awful mess to deal with.When you start eating it youll soon be hooked,not only the flavor and the healthy standpoint but the gratification of what you accomplished.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I'd rather do a deer than a rabbit or squirrel.

Deer are bigger and IMHO easier (you can get a hold on stuff).
    Don't let the size spook you.

You do one and you're halfway to being a pro.

Some folks are pretty sloppy. My buds say I do surgery on mine :) Blood not past my wrists, none on my clothes (usually, sometimes a drop or two on my boot).

I zip 'em open and get it all out in just a few minutes (no bladder busting or digestive organ cutting either). Think I bobbled last yrs and it took 8 mins (yes we timed it). No mess though.

Not a pleasant task, at first. But once you do a few you'll take great pride in doing a superb job at it. It becomes fun, and even more when you check what your shot did, and occasionally find the bullet ;)

Relax, it's part of the hunt. You'll do fine :)

Tydeeh22

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    Indiana
    speaking of which, about time to make sure the guns shoot straight, clothes are scent free, treestands are set, and freezer is empty.

Dirty Steve

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 16, 2011
    Danville
    Yes, gutting a deer is not the most pleasant part of it, but it's part of the experience. With practice, you can do it quickly and get it over with. I really don't mind it now. As others have said, there are some excellent video's available. Having someone that can do it well guide you through it can't hurt either.

Try gutting a bull moose, you'll be shoulder deep in the chest cavity. Field dressed and quartered one my friends son shot in Wyoming several years ago. When we got back to the trail head with the first pack trip out, I had to change clothes. An old guy sitting at the trail head said "Well, I can tell who did the shooting and who did the work!". I didn't really want to hike all the way back for the second and third trip though grizzly country looking like a kid that had an accident with a 55 gal. drum of ketchup.

Dirty Steve

hoosierdaddy1976

I Can't Believe it's not Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Mar 17, 2011
    newton county
    it's not so bad, once you're in the middle of it. as far as the twitching, as stated above, if you've waited for the deer to expire before tracking it's not usually an issue. small game is much worse for that. it made me jump the first time i felt a rabbit roll against the small of my back in the game bag of my vest.

on a semi-related note, my freshman year of college i was a bio major. my school raised frogs for dissection, and on lab day we were shown how to dispatch them using a dissecting needle to perform brain and spinal piths. when sliding the needle through the spinal column, all four legs on the frog jump straight out- it's a weird thing to see.

Matt52

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2012
    I will say this it is a little "creepy" when you start getting real good at skining deer and you do it really fast and you start thinking about all those horror movies youve watched and you think man good thing im a law abiding citizen lol.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I've only killed a few dozen (bow and gun).
    Never had one twitch during field dressing.

Field dressing, skinning and butchering...............they are part of the job.

Take pride in doing well whatever parts you choose to perform.

KEHO

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 17, 2010
    Noblesville
    For me, I wasn't thrilled about the thought of walking up on a large critter that was alive a few minutes ago and doing what needed to be done either - at first. I got around it by reading all I could about it, watching videos of it being done, and then having someone help me out the first year. That was 2 years ago. Last year I harvested, gutted, skinned, quartered, butchered and packed my 3 deer by myself.

Find someone to go with you that can help and you'll be a pro at it in no time. Heck, I'm in Noblesville, hit me up and I'll go out with you and help get your critter taken care of... you'd have to carry your own gear though :)

TkdGunter

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 20, 2012
    Got my first deer a few years back hunting with my father... one word of advice when gutting is to not stick that knife too far in... could become a real smelly situation pretty quick

benjaminlee06

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 11, 2012
    Downtown Indy
    Check out a guy by the name of Steve Rinella. He did a show on discovery for a bit, and does a lot of writing. His ideas revolve around our disconnect to our food and how it is not good for us. We want meat, but we don't want to take, so we have someone else do it, or we accept meat raised in very inhumane conditions pumped full of antibiotics. There is no respect or sustainability. Hunting deer at a reasonable rate is one of the best deals for us and the environment. Look him up though; he is from Michigan, but he, his wife and son live in Brooklyn and only eat meet he has hunted, trapped or fished and it is pretty sweet. He will really challenge you give good thought. And in the end my guess you will want to hunt and you will want to respect and honor what you take.

benjaminlee06

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 11, 2012
    Downtown Indy
    Keho - I live down in Indy, but am from Northern, IN. If that offer would be extended, I would certainly be interested. Or if you know of anyone else in the area that would welcome a guest, I would appreciate the connection.

Top Bottom