• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bung

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 11, 2012
    Anderson
    I've held a XDM45 and really liked the way it felt. I have small hands so I have issues with larger guns. I really wanted something with decent accuracy (at least out to 15 yards) so I've been considering a 1911 since they have a fixed barrel. Maybe I'm wrong in thinking it is more accurate, this is where you guys' come in. I've been carrying a LC9 but wanted something with more punch. I hear and read conflicting opinions about hollow-point 9mm over hollow-point 45. My only real concern is distance accuracy over the lower muzzle velocity of the 45. I would imagine I wouldn't need to worry about through-and-through with the hollow-point 45 as much as I would with the 9mm.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    I've held a XDM45 and really liked the way it felt. I have small hands so I have issues with larger guns. I really wanted something with decent accuracy (at least out to 15 yards) so I've been considering a 1911 since they have a fixed barrel. Maybe I'm wrong in thinking it is more accurate, this is where you guys' come in. I've been carrying a LC9 but wanted something with more punch. I hear and read conflicting opinions about hollow-point 9mm over hollow-point 45. My only real concern is distance accuracy over the lower muzzle velocity of the 45. I would imagine I wouldn't need to worry about through-and-through with the hollow-point 45 as much as I would with the 9mm.

Wow. Where is the "can open, worms everywhere" icon? You are really looking at a number of different issues here. There is certainly nothing wrong with a good 1911, I am not sure it will give you what you are looking for though. First off, any extra "punch" from a .45 is highly debatable. Don't let this be your reason for switching as all handgun rounds pretty much suck for stopping a person quick.

Pretty much anything of decent quality is going to be 15 yard accurate. That is a pretty short distance. Will a 1911 be more accurate than your LC9? Probably, but it will be because of practical accuracy not inherent accuracy. What I mean is that due to sights, trigger, grip, the 1911 will be easier to shoot well. Of course there are trade offs. If this is an EDC, which I assume it is, are you willing to take the big jump in size and weight to go to the 1911? A gun you don't have with you does you no good, no matter how well you shoot it.

Shoot through's? All of the modern hollowpoints are designed to meet FBI requirements and in theory have very similar penetration.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    Accurite out to 15 yards. Sounds like you are looking for a 380 not a 45. On a good day I can hit a pop can 5 out of 10 shots at 50 yards. I'm a crappy shooter too ;)

SkullDaddy.45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    0hio
    Accurite out to 15 yards. Sounds like you are looking for a 380 not a 45. On a good day I can hit a pop can 5 out of 10 shots at 50 yards. I'm a crappy shooter too ;)
    You can see a pop can at 50 yards away?? Young people ,thpffft! XDM .45 is a damn good gun. But if your going to carry a full size .45 , get the 1911. Cuz they're COOL!:cool:

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    I have both an XDm .45 4.5" and a WC 1911 .45 5". The 1911 is a tack-driver and I love the way it feels in my hand - the XDm is less accurate but is still a wonderful firearm.

I carry the XDm when I ride the motorcycle and I take it with me when I travel as it's more easily replaced than the WC 1911. At the end of the day you really can't go wrong with either so long as the gun is what you want. The upside to the XDm is that it carries more rounds stock than the 1911 but the downside is that the grip is considerably fatter for it. It's much easier for me to conceal my WC1911 than even my XDm 9mm due to the double-stack design versus the single-stack design.

partyboy6686

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Oct 9, 2011
    Indianapolis
    I have small hands and prefer the 1911. I daily carry a 1911. If you plan on daily carrying a 1911 you will need a good belt, good holster, and a mag pouch if you plan on carrying more then 8 rounds. I use a Daltech Force Bio Belt, a Ted Blocker 911M holster, and a Ted Blocker TL2 dual mag pouch. 1911's are very accurate at 15 yards. And as other members have said you can easily hit 50 yard targets with a 1911 if your a good shot.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Usually 8 for 8 at 50 with a 1911....not 100% but close enough that the target surrenders.......:)

Party boy...your EDC ought to drive tacks.

daddyusmaximus

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.9%
    90   1   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Remington
    1911 dos not have a fixed barrel. if your compareing 1911 to and xd my choice is the xd. reasons why....... more ammo capacity, more dependable, just as accurate.

"More ammo capacity" = fat grip. OP has small hands.. READ. I also have short fingers. I have both an XD and a 1911. Both are dependable, but I shoot the 1911 way better, because it fits my hands. For smaller hands, the slim grip of a 1911 is great. Just go hold one. Shoot one if possible. By one, and if you're not happy with it, I'll trade you for my XD.

Top Bottom