• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    IF a $500 budget is the only reason buy the RIA. IF you can afford more then definitely buy more gun. Springfields are more gun for a little less $. I'm impressed with the Sigs in quality for the $ too.
    Being your first 1911 I'd recommend a better gun than the RIA. Don't get me wrong as they're a decent gun with good customer support. I've owned 3 now and still have one of them. I had to spend a lot more $ on it to bring it up to an acceptable level. I'm picky though. You will get what you pay for. Look around first AND THEN make up your mind

walt o

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 10, 2008
    Hammond
    That's a good place to start. I have 3 RIA guns and have not had any problems . You are buying a entry level firearm and if you like the 1911 platform then you MAY want to move up to a more sophisticated 1911 later .Although more money does not = a better gun .Don't expect to get a big payback if you do loads of custom work to your RIA shoot it and enjoy.

HandyAndy

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 1, 2012
    Fort Wayne (SWAC)
    The Main reason I looked at this particular firearm is the combination of value and the mag capacity. The A2 carries a 14 rd mag, something that I have not seen a lot of in a 1911 style and something that I am quite fond of from the XDM45 that I play with on occasion.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    Jeffersonville
    RIA's MIL-SPEC 1911-A2 is the double stack variety, correct? That makes a big difference if you ever intend to carry it over a single stack, but it really just comes down to preference.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    My second 1911 was an RIA and I still have that gun. I have no complaints at all with the RIA. It has been as much fun to shoot, as reliable and as accurate as my Kimbers, Springfield and SIG 1911s. Mine is a compact though, not a full size double stack 1911. I've been very happy with it and have no regrets over buying the RIA.

SubicWarrior1988

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    central
    I'm considering purchasing a Rock Island Armory Mil-Spec 1911-A2 in .45 acp. Any thoughts or reasons I should/should not? This will be my first 1911.

Thanks in advance
    Andy

Rock Island makes a fantastic pistol. Here are a few terms for you to google

Hammer bite, Idiot Mark, series 70 accidental discharge.

Conditions of readiness, that should get you started. :)

The 1911 is an amazing platform, enjoy.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    One of the hardest pistols I've ever had to put back on the shelf was a RIA tactical with teh rail & night sights. In SW Ft Wayne I held it at Rangers Supply and it just fit me to a "T". Unfortunately the timing and $$ never came together before I got into other things, but from all the reading I did on those pistols they'll shoot with just about any other factory 1911 out there.

My very first pistol was a colt 1911 45acp and I don't think there's anything wrong with a 1911 as a first pistol. I've also had a para ord P-14 and as much as I really really really like have a lot of ammo in a gun it's just not the same to me. A 1911 is meant to be a single stack, and if you want a double stack 45acp there's a lot out there to pick from. I think you'll find as I found with my P-14 is that the aftermarket options are slim to none in the double stack 1911 world. I was lucky to get a pair of hogue grips for my P-14.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    If you want a 1911, I'd have no issue with an RIA.

However, if you want a double stack .45, I personally would look at something instead of a 1911 variant personally.

Make your decision of 1911 OR double stack first, then pick the particular brand.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    I have a LSI and a RIA. They are a nice low price pistol. I use the LSI for daily carry. I have 7k plus rounds threw it. I bought the RIA a few months ago to give my LSI a break lol. I like the sights more on the LSI.

FERLACH

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 28, 2010
    Plainfield
    I have an RIA mil spec 1911 A2 that I bought used but in nice condition. Shot over 300 rounds thru it with out one single malfunction. I am more than satisfied with it.

Top Bottom