• ...and so much more!
  • aporter

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 11, 2017
    Hamilton County
    Considering to start reloading. I have some questions regarding equipment. Are the any specific brands or pieces of equipment needed or recommended?

Doublehelix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 20, 2015
    Westfield
    Welcome to the [STRIKE]addiction[/STRIKE] hobby!

Once you start piecing together some ideas, run them by the knowledge base here, and we can give you some hints, ideas and things you might have overlooked.

I will say, once you start getting your mind wrapped around things, it is really not that complicated, although at first, it can seem that way for sure.

Best of luck with getting your setup together!

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    A Lee turret press is a cost effective way to see if reloading is for you. It's also something you can use long term. Even if you later go to a high volume big-$$$ setup, for small runs where you don't want to adjust your mini-factory you can still use the turret to crank out a couple hundred of your "side project" ammo.

I've used a Lee turret for about 15 years now, but I don't load rifle rounds. I've loaded a metric butt ton of pistol rounds, though, particularly .45 and .38/.357.

Doublehelix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 20, 2015
    Westfield
    A Lee turret press is a cost effective way to see if reloading is for you. It's also something you can use long term. Even if you later go to a high volume big-$$$ setup, for small runs where you don't want to adjust your mini-factory you can still use the turret to crank out a couple hundred of your "side project" ammo.

I've used a Lee turret for about 15 years now, but I don't load rifle rounds. I've loaded a metric butt ton of pistol rounds, though, particularly .45 and .38/.357.

I agree with this 100%. I still use my Lee Classic Turret Press for load development, and then move over to the XL650 for cranking out the ammo. Even if you hate it, they are only slightly north of $100, and you can always sell it used for a good percentage of what you paid for it, they are very popular for a reason.

bocefus78

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 9, 2014
    Hamilton Co.

X3. I still use mine even with a progressive right next to it. New load tests of 25 to 50 rounds are no reason to be changing the progressive up.

Once you know what you are doing and find good rhythm, the Lee classic turret will make 120-150 rounds per hour.

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    385   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    +100 with BBI thoughts...

Here's the thing...IF?? you decide that reloading/handloading is your thing--Buy Once-Cry Once...Get the best tools that you can..Dillon is hard to beat, especially on handgun loading. Redding is hard to beat, especially on rifle loads..Bill

ZbornacSVT

Owner at Bobcat Armament
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 15, 2009
    Shelbyville
    We'd be glad to assist any way that we can. Feel free to swing by the shop anytime.

What are you looking to load? That will go a long way to shrinking the list of suggestions down.

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    385   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    Here's the thing...IF?? you decide that reloading/handloading is your thing--Buy Once-Cry Once...Get the best tools that you can..Dillon is hard to beat, especially on handgun loading. Redding is hard to beat, especially on rifle loads..Bill

While this is undoubtedly true, the Lee Classic Turret press will meet the needs of most shooters.

It's the PERFECT press for a beginner, for three reasons:

1) It costs so little, you don't even cry ONCE! ;) You might cry when you buy a Dillon 550 or 650, but not when you buy the LCT...it's that inexpensive.

2) Removing the indexing rod allows you to learn as though it's a single-stage press. You can do the same thing on Dillon press, but not quite as effectively, IMHO.

3) For those of us who shoot a couple hundred rounds of pistol or AR ammo per month, or maybe 1,000 rounds per year, the LCT is the "just right" tool. Fast enough, but not more than you need.

The only way I could recommend someone start out with a Dillon 550 or 650, is if they had money to burn and they were very likely to continue to load their own ammo for many years to come. For folks wanting to try it out, the LCT is simply the better choice.

Steel and wood

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2016
    Tipton
    These post really help. There is so much out there about reloading it’s overwhelming at times for someone looking to get into it. Thanks for all your guys experience in reloading. And op glad you started this new thread

JMitch

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2015
    Greenwood
    I recently upgraded to a Dillon 650 from a Lee turret press. I really enjoyed using the Lee for many calibers and it was easy to learn on. It helped me know where to look and what to feel on the 650 that has so much going on at once. I still use the Lee for load development and calibers I don’t load large quantities. It would be low risk to get one to learn on because it is still useful if you upgrade to something else and can be sold for most of the original cost if you don’t like it. The reloading rabbit hole runs deep get a manual and check forums like this and Brian Enos as well.

Top Bottom