• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tdosha

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 29, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    My intention this past weekend was to pick up a Remington 700 in .308. I want to build a long range, bolt action rifle. My goal is 1000 yards. The day started out well with a bite on one of my items I had listed on Craigslist. Long story short I ended up taking in a very nice Remington 670 in 30-06.

At the gun store my wife found a Beretta CX4 Storm in 9mm that she really liked and it came home with us. So some of my funds for my gun are gone. Despite my initial intent to sell or trade the 670, I've begun to think about using it instead of purchasing a 700.

Your thoughts?

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    My intention this past weekend was to pick up a Remington 700 in .308. I want to build a long range, bolt action rifle. My goal is 1000 yards. The day started out well with a bite on one of my items I had listed on Craigslist. Long story short I ended up taking in a very nice Remington 670 in 30-06.

At the gun store my wife found a Beretta CX4 Storm in 9mm that she really liked and it came home with us. So some of my funds for my gun are gone. Despite my initial intent to sell or trade the 670, I've begun to think about using it instead of purchasing a 700.

Your thoughts?

continue on with your original plan to get rid of the 670 and upgrade to the 700. when you get started building a rifle you have to look at what aftermarket parts are avaible. there is almost no quality aftermarket parts for the 670, and if no one makes parts you cant do your build

tdosha

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 29, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    continue on with your original plan to get rid of the 670 and upgrade to the 700. when you get started building a rifle you have to look at what aftermarket parts are avaible. there is almost no quality aftermarket parts for the 670, and if no one makes parts you cant do your build

I'm thinking there isn't any harm in practicing with it for the time being. It lacks a bipod but I'll just use a sandbag. It's received some trigger work already, so it's not a bad gun. Back to saving up funds for a new build.

tdosha

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 29, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    I've been looking at the Remington 700's that are available locally. I don't like the way the new ones feel and look. I'm the type that need it to look as good as it works and am not getting the right vibe on them. A local gunsmith suggested that I look for an older 700 or consider a Savage Axis. Thoughts?

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    I have it I figured out the code***,, 670=760

I think he may have bought a 760 rem in 30-06 if so keep the pump. If it happens to be a 18 inch carbine barrel they are cool also.

Save for the 700 action.
    Get a rem wingmaster to go with the 760. A perfect match in every way.
    When it comes to hunting guns the 760 is a fine piece of work.

If you want to do long range work look at a reloading setup first and then a 260 AI or maybe 6.5 creedmoore. !000 yards with a 308 is capable. The 6.5 creedmoore and 260 AI have been whats winning in the long distance game lately. If you are going to get a new barrel and all why not go with a little better cartridge after a brass stockup the price to send down range is the same.

Top Bottom