• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ilitical

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 14, 2014
    Evansville
    You don't need to sign back up just to view their page unless you want to follow them to get their updates instantly. Just google whittakers face book.

Also seen a SR1911CMD in Dave's when i was in there saturday. Might be worth giving him a call. same price as Whittakers (+20 txfr) and you dont have to wait till sunday to pick it up. ;)

I will give them a call on lunch! Thanks!

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    There are lots of good options in that price range. My favorites in that range are the Remington R1S and the Sig Carry size guns. For daily carry, the shorter barrel bobtail 1911s are hard to beat. Also, try holding a couple of guns that both have and do not have front strap checkering. I've found that I need some texture there and all of my 1911s that get carried have either checkering there, skate board tape, Wilson Combat front strap checkering plates or Talon grip tape. Checkering is my favorite but my Kimber Compact has a piece of the Talon rubber grip tape and that's nice too. The Wilson Combat front strap checkered plate works very well but tends to mar the finish on the gun.

ilitical

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 14, 2014
    Evansville
    There are lots of good options in that price range. My favorites in that range are the Remington R1S and the Sig Carry size guns. For daily carry, the shorter barrel bobtail 1911s are hard to beat. Also, try holding a couple of guns that both have and do not have front strap checkering. I've found that I need some texture there and all of my 1911s that get carried have either checkering there, skate board tape, Wilson Combat front strap checkering plates or Talon grip tape. Checkering is my favorite but my Kimber Compact has a piece of the Talon rubber grip tape and that's nice too. The Wilson Combat front strap checkered plate works very well but tends to mar the finish on the gun.

Thanks for the insight. Things I would of never thought of!

Roll Tide

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2012
    Connersville
    I keep seeing a term used and I would like some clarification. The term is "entry level". Why is there an "entry level"? Why not just save for a Kimber, or TRP, or other higher end ($) gun and cut out the middle expense? I mean, it's not like when you got your first car, and were learning how to drive, and got a cheaper car in case you wrecked it, right? Is there a downfall to going another route?

I too am looking to purchase my first 1911, and I battle with this all the time. If the Ruger's and RO's are just fine, then why are they "entry level"? And if they are associated with "entry level" for a reason, why not save up $200-$300 more and get a "mid level" pistol?

I'm not trying to be provocative, or demeaning in any way, and I understand financial constraints can be an issue, I'm just trying to learn this thought process.

Sorry if I jacked the thread.

SERparacord

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 16, 2012
    Amish Mafia Bar
    I keep seeing a term used and I would like some clarification. The term is "entry level". Why is there an "entry level"? Why not just save for a Kimber, or TRP, or other higher end ($) gun and cut out the middle expense? I mean, it's not like when you got your first car, and were learning how to drive, and got a cheaper car in case you wrecked it, right? Is there a downfall to going another route?

I too am looking to purchase my first 1911, and I battle with this all the time. If the Ruger's and RO's are just fine, then why are they "entry level"? And if they are associated with "entry level" for a reason, why not save up $200-$300 more and get a "mid level" pistol?

I'm not trying to be provocative, or demeaning in any way, and I understand financial constraints can be an issue, I'm just trying to learn this thought process.

Sorry if I jacked the thread.

Entry level usually means lower price. A lot of people do not have the big bucks to put out right away.

Roll Tide

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2012
    Connersville
    I guess I just got the feeling from the term "entry level" that at some point in time, the person would buy a higher end gun, thus spending more money. So if these SR1911's and RO's are good, why buy higher end? If the higher end pistols are THAT much better, why buy mid level, and not just save up for an extra month or 3 and buy that?

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I guess I just got the feeling from the term "entry level" that at some point in time, the person would buy a higher end gun, thus spending more money. So if these SR1911's and RO's are good, why buy higher end? If the higher end pistols are THAT much better, why buy mid level, and not just save up for an extra month or 3 and buy that?

Its like having a nice hot rod. Eventually you will want to go faster.....:)

I have mid range pieces up to a Trophy Match and a TRP. I have found no 1911's tat run any better, group any tighter or feel any sweeter than those guns.
    It is all a matter of personal opinion and perceived performance. Yes, Wilsons, Night hawks and Browns are very well made guns. I have shot the snot out of all of them. I like them well enough. No well enough to pee my pants over them.

SERparacord

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 16, 2012
    Amish Mafia Bar
    Its like having a nice hot rod. Eventually you will want to go faster.....:)

I have mid range pieces up to a Trophy Match and a TRP. I have found no 1911's tat run any better, group any tighter or feel any sweeter than those guns.
    It is all a matter of personal opinion and perceived performance. Yes, Wilsons, Night hawks and Browns are very well made guns. I have shot the snot out of all of them. I like them well enough. No well enough to pee my pants over them.

Depends. :)

Roll Tide

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2012
    Connersville
    So, really, intended use is more of the deciding factor, than anything?

So, if I intend to carry every now and then, and want a fun shooter that will be accurate yet forgiving, what would you suggest?

SERparacord

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 16, 2012
    Amish Mafia Bar
    So, really, intended use is more of the deciding factor, than anything?

So, if I intend to carry every now and then, and want a fun shooter that will be accurate yet forgiving, what would you suggest?

If you plan to run one hard, skip the low end or know how to fix them. All are fun to shoot.

Top Bottom