• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bobkunz

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 26, 2016
    Bean Blossom
    Regardless of what you think of the 1911 style firearm, you have to try the Coonan 1911. It's chambered in 357 Magnum and it's one of the most amazing cannons I have ever fired. People that aren't used to heavy calibers will definitely feel the power after about 50 rounds. I highly recommend going out and shooting it. It's a great range toy and collectable. Like a 1911, it doesn't have much use as a carry gun; but if you want an awesome service pistol, this is it.

I only experienced one failure to extract the shell from the chamber; but it was a range rental so who knows.

If you want to have some fun; go for this weapon if the range in your area has one to rent. Serious 1911 collectors, this is one for the collection.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I would love to have one, but they are a spendy breed.
    Love the .357manglum round.
    I have a Desert Eagle in .44Rem/mag, so the Coonan should be a pleasure to shoot.

Maybe someday, but I've never even seen one in the wild, only in pictures.

BFR50-110

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 19, 2015
    Montgomery County
    I have a Coonan .357 magnum and it is an awesome gun. Lots of power with a lot of blast and little recoil. Mine has been 100% reliable with factory ammo. I disagree that they and other 1911's are poor choices for carry. I carry mine often with no issues.

Bobkunz

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 26, 2016
    Bean Blossom
    It's a preference. Personally I carry a Browning 1911-380 or a Glock. I have trained past the safety on the 1911; but many don't have the time to commit to drawing and turning the safety off at the same time. With a 1911, you have to train much more muscle memory than weapons with trigger safeties. When SHTF, you rely on muscle memory. The less M.M. you have to develop, the more you can focus on the situation at hand. Thus, it doesn't have much use as a carry gun in the hands of most people carrying. It's a great service pistol, though. Different purposes, different guns.

Bobkunz

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 26, 2016
    Bean Blossom
    I would love to have one, but they are a spendy breed.
    Love the .357manglum round.
    I have a Desert Eagle in .44Rem/mag, so the Coonan should be a pleasure to shoot.

Maybe someday, but I've never even seen one in the wild, only in pictures.

Indy_Trading_Post

Bobkunz

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 26, 2016
    Bean Blossom
    Wish the Coonan would work, wear large gloves and the grip is still to big for me.

I agree, the grip is a bit big. If you are just using it as a range tool or a collectable that gets fired by the family every Christmas it shouldn't be an issue. If it's something that you want to use regularly and you have small hands then by all means avoid this thing.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    You should grab hold of that .44mag Desert Eagle!
    Talk about a cumbersome grip! That, and it weighs as much as TWO bricks.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    The Coonan is widely praised for its quality, although that quality doesn't come cheap.
    If you have big hands and are willing to master the manual of arms required to operate a 1911, it would make an excellent carry gun in a top quality holster.
    .357 Magnum has rated at the very top of handgun calibers for terminal performance for decades now, so having a sidearm in that caliber that takes magazines instead of speed loaders is a nice bonus.

Bobkunz

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 26, 2016
    Bean Blossom
    That was the first .44 Magnum I ever fired.
    It felt pretty bulky, but not too bad.
    Big ol' mitts help there.
    Wouldn't want to carry it IWB, though!

I personally am not a fan of IWB for anything that isn't designed for deep concealment. The largest thing I carry IWB is my RIA M200 and even that is a rarity. Everything else goes OWB or on a shoulder harness.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    I personally am not a fan of IWB for anything that isn't designed for deep concealment. The largest thing I carry IWB is my RIA M200 and even that is a rarity. Everything else goes OWB or on a shoulder harness.

Preferences can differ from one person to the next.
    Here's what I carry, including the Kramer horsehide IWB#2 in which it rides in complete comfort and inconspicuous as anyone could ever want
    Kramer_Holster_and_Gun_horizontal_zps7oqwovhk.jpg

It doesn't hurt that I'm 6'4" and over 240 lbs, but if I were to get off my dead butt and drop the 30-40 lbs that I need to, it would be even more comfortable than it is already, which is saying something.

Bobkunz

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 26, 2016
    Bean Blossom
    Preferences can differ from one person to the next.
    Here's what I carry, including the Kramer horsehide IWB#2 in which it rides in complete comfort and inconspicuous as anyone could ever want

It doesn't hurt that I'm 6'4" and over 240 lbs, but if I were to get off my dead butt and drop the 30-40 lbs that I need to, it would be even more comfortable than it is already, which is saying something.

Im not exactly a big guy, so concealing larger guns isn't an option for me. If I carry anything larger than my 1911-380 Browning people will know unless it's winter.

That doesn't bother me though in this great state.

dak109

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 26, 2009
    Brown County
    An area I didn't see mentioned is a hunting gun. .357 mag, check. 4"+ barrel, check. Whitetail legal in Indiana. Now just to get a load worked up for it.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    An area I didn't see mentioned is a hunting gun. .357 mag, check. 4"+ barrel, check. Whitetail legal in Indiana. Now just to get a load worked up for it.

That would be really cool!
    I carried the pistol you can see in my posted photo above as a backup (never needed it... .30-06 brought him down quickly) for deer season.

dak109

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 26, 2009
    Brown County
    I hope it will be. Need to get a holster too. It would also make a good companion for the Henry BB steel. Of course taking the Henry means leaving the Marlin 1894 at home.
    The ring of fire from the Coonan is way cool too.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    scottrodgers87
    Top Bottom