• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Garb

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2009
    Richmond
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQM-wERs-VE]YouTube - Shooting the COP 357 four barrel derringer[/ame]

What are your experiences with this gun? I'm interested in getting one but apparently the company that made them went out of business so they are pretty rare.

Dawall

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    Lake County
    COP = Compact Off-Duty Police. Did not group well and has a long and hard trigger pull. Very heavy for what it is and hard to holster. Looking at 4 barrels, Priceless.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    If you want one for the "cool" factor... Then go for it!

If you're looking for something as a "backup" or as a carry weapon, there are MUCH better options out there.

That said, I'd almost rather fire a COP with .357 loads in it than my S&W 642 with .38 Special +p loads.

The heft of the COP helps.

-J-

Garb

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2009
    Richmond
    Well I am looking for a backup gun right now... I googled derringers and this thingy came up. Glad to hear personal experience and reviews about it though, I know it would be more of a range toy than a legitimate self defense weapon.

Whosyer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 5, 2009
    Warren County
    f you want a derringer, there is only one I would consider. (and I carry personally) Check out Bond Arms website. They're well built, and accurate. They are not inexpensive. Barrels are available in about every caliber you can think of, and are interchangable.

http://www.bondarms.com/

picture.php

bdj357

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jun 13, 2008
    DaRegion NWI Crown Point
    I had one years ago, had to get grips specially made because they were cracked. A little heavy...both weight and trigger pull. With if I recall, it's weight was comparable to the magnum j-frames but one less round. Recoil was pretty bad. I liked my J-frame better and couldn't afford to have safe queens laying around so I sold it. If I found one cheap I may pick it up...wow knows.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Well, for a backup, derringers like the Bond aren't all that compact, and they're heavy (compared to alternatives). Don't get me wrong, they're very well-built pieces (maybe the current best of the breed), but many folks prefer something lighter for a BUG.

As others have pointed out, j-frame-size revolvers are around the same size as the COP, are lighter, have better triggers, and 24% more capacity than the COP (and they're in production). Of these reolvers, the Ruger LCR is the lightest (at 13 oz) without going to the expensive scandium alloys.

A Kahr PM45 would be smaller than your primary and maintain ammo compatability. Fairly close to the size of a j-frame actually, although a couple of ounces heavier.

Going smaller still for a backup piece: you have the Kahr PM9 and the small 380acp pocket pistols (P3AT, LCP, etc.). The NAA Black Widow in 22 mag with the 2" bbl can play this part as well, but it's a smaller cartridge than many folks are comfortable with (a real last ditch, shoot and scoot sort of gun).

Anyway, those are a few suggestions. Have fun looking.

Garb

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2009
    Richmond
    Well, for a backup, derringers like the Bond aren't all that compact, and they're heavy (compared to alternatives). Don't get me wrong, they're very well-built pieces (maybe the current best of the breed), but many folks prefer something lighter for a BUG.

As others have pointed out, j-frame-size revolvers are around the same size as the COP, are lighter, have better triggers, and 24% more capacity than the COP (and they're in production). Of these reolvers, the Ruger LCR is the lightest (at 13 oz) without going to the expensive scandium alloys.

A Kahr PM45 would be smaller than your primary and maintain ammo compatability. Fairly close to the size of a j-frame actually, although a couple of ounces heavier.

Going smaller still for a backup piece: you have the Kahr PM9 and the small 380acp pocket pistols (P3AT, LCP, etc.). The NAA Black Widow in 22 mag with the 2" bbl can play this part as well, but it's a smaller cartridge than many folks are comfortable with (a real last ditch, shoot and scoot sort of gun).

Anyway, those are a few suggestions. Have fun looking.

I do like the look of the new Ruger LCR in .357. I think I'm going to give it awhile to make sure there's no recalls and then start shopping around for one of those. Thanks for the advice. :yesway:

Carrtech1

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 16, 2010
    I used to have one of these COP's. They are an awesome firearm to have and they are Very Rare! I really wish I wouldn't have gotten rid of mine.

FERLACH

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 28, 2010
    Plainfield
    I owned one for several years. Trigger pull is very hard. Very heavy gun. It did seem to be well made as far as locking up tight and nicely machined. I probably fired it 300 to 500 times and only remember 2 or 3 times when it failed to go off. Oh, it was not very accurate. I sold it for $300.00 a few years ago and would not buy another one for $300.00.

Top Bottom