• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jon5212

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2010
    I believe if I were in this situation... if I truly believe I was safe in helping IE not affecting any by standers with potential cross fire I would personally have to help.

I would not want to not help and come to find out I could have saved a person's life.

My family and bystander's would be first priority, but if I can stop a piece of garbage from hurting/ending one's life then I will.

Jack Burton

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    NWI
    I believe if I were in this situation... if I truly believe I was safe in helping IE not affecting any by standers with potential cross fire I would personally have to help.

I would not want to not help and come to find out I could have saved a person's life.

My family and bystander's would be first priority, but if I can stop a piece of garbage from hurting/ending one's life then I will.

So, jon (and I don't mean to pick on you), in spite of the openly stated desires of the police that you only be a bystander in such a situation you will choose to disregard their public requests and "intervene"?

jon5212

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2010
    So, jon (and I don't mean to pick on you), in spite of the openly stated desires of the police that you only be a bystander in such a situation you will choose to disregard their public requests and "intervene"?

Yes, it would go against my nature, if I can see that the situation is being handled I would be a good witness.

If someone's life is threatened, even yours, and I believe I'm the only thing left to stop the attack then I will have to act.

Whatever consequences there are later I'll give Guy a call.

I think a police officer being assaulted/over powered/and or shot by a piece of scum would change their thinking if a law abiding citizen helps them and/or saves their life so they can go home to their family.

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN

Not every officer requests that non-officers be bystanders. I personally would be grateful for any assistance if I was getting my ass kicked or shot at.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Please give documentation of an Indiana Law Enforcement agency requesting that you "don't fight back"?

My statement would apply more to nationwide.
    Illinois had to rewrite their advise to women to puke on themselves and pee, if someone tried to rape them. It was discussed here and on the news, so I'm not going to bother to find it.

Philidelphia or New York said no one's possesions are worth a life. Then said if you are in fear for your life, then you could fight. But they couldn't tell you how to know the difference, when a gun's pointed at you.

Maybe you've never heard the old advice to women, that fighting back only increases the attackers anger, and results in more harm.

TheReaper

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2012
    Southeastern IN
    My statement would apply more to nationwide.
    Illinois had to rewrite their advise to women to puke on themselves and pee, if someone tried to rape them. It was discussed here and on the news, so I'm not going to bother to find it.

Philidelphia or New York said no one's possesions are worth a life. Then said if you are in fear for your life, then you could fight. But they couldn't tell you how to know the difference, when a gun's pointed at you.

Maybe you've never heard the old advice to women, that fighting back only increases the attackers anger, and results in more harm.

I do remember that, I also remember when that idiot Bob Knight told women to "lean back and enjoy it."

But, we're not worried about what goes on in other states, I guess I just never heard of any issues with Law Enforcement in Indiana telling Hoosiers that they didn't have a right to defend themselves, which is contrary to state law.:dunno:

Jack Burton

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    NWI
    Not every officer requests that non-officers be bystanders. I personally would be grateful for any assistance if I was getting my ass kicked or shot at.

Frank, one of the problems you guys have is that the PTB are more than willing to knife you in the back. Until those who are in authority wake up and understand the advice they give about "citizen intervention" is putting you street guys at risk then the average person just may hesitate about helping you.

Jack Burton

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    NWI
    I do remember that, I also remember when that idiot Bob Knight told women to "lean back and enjoy it."

But, we're not worried about what goes on in other states, I guess I just never heard of any issues with Law Enforcement in Indiana telling Hoosiers that they didn't have a right to defend themselves, which is contrary to state law.:dunno:

They would never come out and state there is no "right" for citizens to defend themselves and if that is the bar you are setting it will never be found.

But I'd bet there are dozens of examples in the past Hoosier media where a LEO spokesperson has advised after an incident to "give them what they want" or to "not intervene" or that "a gun often makes things worse."

Why would Indiana be any different from any other state where you can read these stories on a common basis.

TheReaper

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2012
    Southeastern IN
    They would never come out and state there is no "right" for citizens to defend themselves and if that is the bar you are setting it will never be found.

But I'd bet there are dozens of examples in the past Hoosier media where a LEO spokesperson has advised after an incident to "give them what they want" or to "not intervene" or that "a gun often makes things worse."

Why would Indiana be any different from any other state where you can read these stories on a common basis.

That's a pretty easy statement to make when there's no proof to back it up.

longbarrel

Expert
    Rating - 91.7%
    22   2   0
    Nov 1, 2008
    Central Indiana

Jack Burton

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    NWI
    That's a pretty easy statement to make when there's no proof to back it up.

If you want to deny that the default advice that police give via the media is "don't take things into your own hands" or some variant of that then go for it. Far too many people here have read just that in the newspaper.

linkinpark9812

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 15, 2009
    Lake County, Town of Munster
    Didn't read all the pages but there actually is a law about aiding a police officer.

IC 35-44.1-3-3
    Refusal to aid an officer
    Sec. 3. A person who, when ordered by a law enforcement officer to assist the officer in the execution of the officer's duties, knowingly or intentionally, and without a reasonable cause, refuses to assist commits refusal to aid an officer, a Class B misdemeanor.

It doesn't seem like the officer directly ordered him, so it wouldn't apply. I have been on a ride along where someone had a warrant for their arrest and it was failure to appear for this charge.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    Didn't read all the pages but there actually is a law about aiding a police officer.

IC 35-44.1-3-3
    Refusal to aid an officer
    Sec. 3. A person who, when ordered by a law enforcement officer to assist the officer in the execution of the officer's duties, knowingly or intentionally, and without a reasonable cause, refuses to assist commits refusal to aid an officer, a Class B misdemeanor.

It doesn't seem like the officer directly ordered him, so it wouldn't apply. I have been on a ride along where someone had a warrant for their arrest and it was failure to appear for this charge.

I am glad you posted this. I actually had forgotten about this statute.

All the cowards who would slink away instead of doing their duty for their fellow man and a sworn Police Officer might have to face the legal consequences of this decision.:cool:

Top Bottom