Cops as a "standing Army"? And this is from the Am Bar Association!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IN_Sheepdog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 21, 2010
    Northwest aka "da Region"
    Got this in a regular mailing from the ABA. (not exactly the most conservative of publications... :): Yes it is a long article, but it does point out another area where the insidious erosion continues.. (lord... I see myself posting this and I am feeling like a RAMBONE ! ) just Kidding rambone, I like your posts...

Read as much as you can handle... I find it all disheartening... Its not a left or right, or a Deom Republican thing. Its a "fundamental change in America thing, regardless of "political party" as for the most part they are BOTH to Blame....

How did America’s police become a military force on the streets? - ABA Journal

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    This was reprinted in the ABA Journal from fellow Hoosier Mr. Balko. I find it astounding that the ABA would reprint this as they are nothing more than a (willing) cat's paw of Big Brother.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Radley is just saying what many of us have been saying for years. The Founders warned us about the standing army and people thought it was the military. It wasn't. Sometime soon we are going to have to rein in the new standing army and clip their wings. In many parts of the country they are already out of control and do as they please, regardless of peoples Rights.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Radley is just saying what many of us have been saying for years. The Founders warned us about the standing army and people thought it was the military. It wasn't. Sometime soon we are going to have to rein in the new standing army and clip their wings. In many parts of the country they are already out of control and do as they please, regardless of peoples Rights.

Yep

dirtfarmerz

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 28, 2010
    Henry County
    Obama made it clear when he said "We cannot continue to rely only on our military in order to achieve the national security objectives we've set". He believes there is an enemy in our country that requires a force equal to our military to control. He is using the cops, IRS, DHS, USDA, and other government agencies to fundamentally change our country. I've posted this link before, but this quote from Obama shows us that his intention is to have a "civilian national security force".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B19PDXL2csw&feature=related

2ADMNLOVER

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 13, 2009
    West side Indy
    Oh yay, another thread making all police the bad guy.

How many threads have been started showing the militarization of the US police forces / officer screw ups / bad apples / isolated incidents ?

There's only so many times you can get away with calling officer screw ups an " isolated incident " before it looks like pattern .

In this thread , an article AGAIN points out what a lot of folks have recognized for years , the police forces of America ARE becoming militarized .

Redhorse

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 8, 2013
    Yes they are. What's worse is this country does have a drug and gang problem where such force is neccisary. However, these swat teams and special units won't use their equipment in places where such force is neccisary. There's some places where drug gangs have practically complete control but instead of focusing their resources on places like this, they'll target low level drug dealers simply because they'll face little resistance and get an easy arrest. They do this in order to rack up arrests to get more federal money. I hate to say they need these resources but they do. Honestly I can see why they need it. They need to ultilize it, however, where it's needed. For example, they need to target large drug cartels in major cities and quit being scared. I hate to say that but that's hw it seems.

And they are becoming highly militarized which is why civilians should be allowed to have the dreaded "assault" rifles. It's the only way to keep them in check.

And on a side note, how reliable is this source? I've had state police looking for pot out here before (no it wasn't mine, I'm a law abiding citizen) and sometimes they found it and they NEVER ran in with guns blazing in full turn out gear. They usually only had their sidearms and sometimes the state issued shotguns. Most of the time it was just a handful of them. Now they have "assault" rifles but I never heard any reports of them using them in these cases. Ill be honest with everyone, some people around here are pretty bad, which is probably an understatement.

2ADMNLOVER

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 13, 2009
    West side Indy
    I hate to say they need these resources but they do. Honestly I can see why they need it. .

I disagree with the notion of them "needing" any military training and equipment based on the fact that they aren't getting gunned down by lawless criminals using such equipment .

Sure there are a FEW examples of LEO's getting murdered with military style weapons but it's not like the gangs / thugs are breakin out the MRAPS , hummers and choppers against them .

So tell me again why the police " need " military training and equipment cause I'm not understanding their "need" .

Where are the criminal gangs with automatic weapons , the armored vehicles and air support running around brazenly killing whomever they choose in broad day light ?

Not in this country .

So why does our police departments feel like they need to equipped to deal with those kinds of folks ?

UncleMike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    NE area of IN
    Oh yay, another thread making all police the bad guy.
    And you're surprised?????
    Like I've said before.
    It's no wonder that this site doesn't have more LEO's join.
    Most Cops (The men at least) would rather slam their junk in a car door than join a site that's populated by so many Cop haters.
    Me.....
    I hang around for my daily dose of abuse.
    I miss it since I retired.

Lucas156

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 20, 2009
    Greenwood
    You guys get butthurt awful easy for being cops or former cops...Most of us don't hate cops we just hate cops violating citizens rights and usurping the U.S. Constitution-you getting upset about that is telling. If you don't violate citizens rights or usurp the Constitution then we are not talking about you. One cop is not all cops, half the cops isn't all cops and three quarters of the cops isn't all cops. Same goes for citizens.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    However, these swat teams and special units won't use their equipment in places where such force is neccisary. There's some places where drug gangs have practically complete control but instead of focusing their resources on places like this, they'll target low level drug dealers simply because they'll face little resistance and get an easy arrest. They do this in order to rack up arrests to get more federal money.

Really...

My SWAT team has never made an arrest. We don't conduct the investigations that lead to the warrants needed before the team gets involved. We don't target or avoid any of these "places" you speak of. We respond to critical situations that the patrol officers are not equipped or trained to handle safely and we serve search and arrest warrants in an attempt to reduce injury and/or loss of life to innocents, suspects or officers. That's pretty much it.

I don't know which teams you speak of but your opinion certainly doesn't apply here.

UncleMike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    NE area of IN
    Really...

My SWAT team has never made an arrest. We don't conduct the investigations that lead to the warrants needed before the team gets involved. We don't target or avoid any of these "places" you speak of. We respond to critical situations that the patrol officers are not equipped or trained to handle safely and we serve search and arrest warrants in an attempt to reduce injury and/or loss of life to innocents, suspects or officers. That's pretty much it.

I don't know which teams you speak of but your opinion certainly doesn't apply here.

He read about it on the Internet.
    And we all know they can't put anything on the Internet that isn't true.

Bon Jour....

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    I'm not in agreement that all agencies are bad at the core. But I do think the govt is intentionally making it the norm for police agencies to be a paramilitary force. Also the federal level too. So it's not just out local agencies. But the Feds don't wanna get caught with their hands in the constitutional cookie jar so they contract it out to local agencies.
    I've said many times before that as a whole I don't have a problem with my Leo agencies in my county, but there's a lot of agencies around the country that do abuse authority and get a hard on at even the hint of working with the Feds on a joint OP.
    thankfully there are still Leo's in command positions that refuse to operate at the Feds whim and stick up for liberty.
    Leo's and average citizens can deny the pattern and what's coming all they want in order to continue with what seems to be a normal life, but we all know what's coming whether you wanna talk about it or not. I don't have to be ashamed or attempted to be shamed by cops or retired cops for stating my opinion of what I see, and it does NOT make me a cop hater!
    I don't know why good cops even comment on issues like these when it doesn't involve their agency. If you blindly stick up for all cops or the profession then your part if the problem too. There are big problems with our govt our courts our local law enforcement mentality in some cities. Denying that is just making the problem bigger.

In order for law enforcement to be effective they must have the support of the people. Their losing it not gaining it. One of you smart guys (I mean that as a compliment) need to ask and figure out why that is.

Last edited:

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I fail to see any sticking up in my post. I make attempt to bring a bit of reality to many of the LEO threads here lest some be led to believe the misleading and often intentional misinformation posted by those with an agenda.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    I fail to see any sticking up in my post. I make attempt to bring a bit of reality to many of the LEO threads here lest some be led to believe the misleading and often intentional misinformation posted by those with an agenda.

I wasn't calling you out at all. I liked your post

Matter of fact if I was calling out anyone in this thread it was uncle mike who had nothing to say that contributed. But more hate posting.

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    You guys get butthurt awful easy for being cops or former cops...Most of us don't hate cops we just hate cops violating citizens rights and usurping the U.S. Constitution-you getting upset about that is telling. If you don't violate citizens rights or usurp the Constitution then we are not talking about you. One cop is not all cops, half the cops isn't all cops and three quarters of the cops isn't all cops. Same goes for citizens.

"Citizens" don't get half the **** talked about them on INGO as the cops do. Hell, if I was a betting man this thread was posted because I didn't shoot a dog when I was completely justified in doing so. Can't have anything good posted about cops, non-cops might actually start supporting them again. And that just wouldn't fit the INGO way.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    I am simply an internet commando, my opinion is worth very little, so here it is... :D

Our military has all kinds of cool weapons and gadgets. These weapons enable them to bring decisive, violent action against enemy targets on whatever battlefield they find themselves on. Their job is to find and kill the enemy.

When these weapons, tactical vehicles, etc. are employed by civilian law enforcement agencies, it definitely creates the impression of a military force. It also creates a desire to employ them, often in situations where they are not really necessary. The higher ups must have something to point to at budget time.

I understand officer safety is important, but public safety must be more important. The risks involved in deploying a military styled force in a civilian environment are great and the margin for error is small. The overuse of such tactics can lead to the often discussed stories we hear where police are responsible for property damage or even the deaths of innocent victims, often with little more than a "our bad" from the local police and prosecutor.

I do not blame this on individual officers. They are put in difficult life or death situations by elected officials and political appointees who seem to be oblivious to the possible negative outcomes of a military style assault. But they must be held to, at least, the same standard that I, as an armed citizen, will be held to if I ever screw up and shoot someone who doesn't desperately need it.:twocents:

VN Vet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Meine Damen un Herren, it all depends which side of the line Our Standing Army is on.

If they are on our side, the side of Freedom Loving, Death Before Dishonor, Oath Keeping, Constitution Loving and Constitution Supporting Americans, then they shall be on the side of the GREATEST STANDING ARMY IN THE WORLD. It is us, We the People.

If all caps bold and underlined means I am shouting, then yes I am. I'll shout it louding as I can, beause I am proud of who I am and what I am.

I will gladly join the LEOs who will join us.

Top Bottom