Not open for further replies.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Hundreds of prisoners threatening to set fires & take officers hostage tonight at the Monroe, Washington Correctional Complex; Washington State Patrol did not confirm a riot but a “major disturbance” — multiple inmates there have coronavirus - KCPQ

tbhausen

Master
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    Feb 12, 2010
    West Central IN
    Cheap gas is fun, but I’m concerned about the damage the cheap imported crude oil that makes this possible might be doing to our domestic energy producers.

My wife stopped at Kroger today and used her 50c off per gal to fill up and she paid 94c per gal. Been a long time since I've heard about less than $1per gal gasoline!

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    I don't have that much gin.

Hmmm... I think I do. Couple handles of Bombay Sapphire, some Hendriks, some Aviator... Yeah, I'm feeling pretty good about my chances.:cool:

And finally, confirmation of a theory I came up with at the start of this...

A top German doctor recommends whiskey to protect against COVID-19

Dr. Rissland was asked about whether or not drinking alcohol could kill any viruses a person may have ingested. "Yes, of course, that's true," Dr. Rissland responded. "And the higher the percentage of alcohol, the better it is."

Guess my bottle of Elijah Craig barrel proof, at 136.8 proof, is about as "better" as you can get.

Thinking of making Herr Dr Rissland my family doc. Tele-medicine across the Atlantic seems reasonable at this point.;)

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    I was going to reply earlier but has been one of those days yet again. I did a little follow-up on this, and the numbers for Indiana are going to be changed working back from today using the new guidelines for reporting a death. Any death of a person COVID positive, will be counted as a COVID death. There was a statement made that was a little alarming, I am waiting to hear back from another Coroner to verify regarding reporting and testing, but looking at the change in past case counts, it might be true.

As far as the stats from Johns Hopkins, I am not sure if they are going to "true-up" the numbers. I have updated the list available here: https://twnwi.com/Historical.php The Johns Hopkins numbers are (JH) and of course the Indiana Numbers are (IN).

In other words: moving forward, the reported numbers, and statistical analysis based on them, are now bunk.

Good to know.

OurDee

nobody
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Sep 16, 2017
    Camby
    Ghuns,
    I quit drinking over 26 years ago. But my theory going into this is the same as yours. There you go, you've been peer reveiwed.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    It would seem that’s the case. So any sick person with flu-like symptoms who dies is now a C19 death? That’ll make the numbers pretty high.

I believe it is anyone who dies from respiratory complications and:
    - has tested positive for the novel coronavirus;
    - lives with or has had close contact with someone who has tested positive for the novel coronavirus;
    - has no history of respiratory issues but dies as a presumptive positive with the other symptoms (high fever, rapid onset, differential diagnosis factors).

It is more broad than what it apparently was, but IMHO those are the criteria that should've been in place much earlier. There are a fair number of false negative tests (how scary is THAT?) especially in the early testing. And, the numbers support "more" deaths from this than what has been reported.

I very much suspect that there's a different set of numbers being examined regarding hospitalizations, etc., that is not publicly reported.

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    Ghuns,
    I quit drinking over 26 years ago. But my theory going into this is the same as yours. There you go, you've been peer reveiwed.

I can add some clinical evidence as well.

I drank a few angry orchards last night,and I do not have covid-19 symptoms.It must be working.

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    https://brownfieldagnews.com/news/tyson-closes-iowa-pork-plant-amid-covid-19-outbreak/
    TYSON CLOSES IOWA PORK PLANT AMID COVID-19 OUTBREAK
    CARGILL SHUTTERS PROCESSING PLANT DUE TO CORONAVIRUS CONCERNS
    https://brownfieldagnews.com/news/cargill-shutters-processing-plant-due-to-coronavirus-concerns/

About those supply lines....

Here is a total view of every meat processing plant in the USA.I am sure at some level somewhere some one is tracking each and every one.
    It would be interesting to see for sure.

https://www.fsis.usda.gov/wps/portal/fsis/topics/inspection/mpi-directory

You may want to start asking those in charge for information about what is left functioning on that list,at the very least it will get them to look.

Obviously keeping businesses on that list running should be a high priority.

Last edited:

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Ghuns,

I can add some clinical evidence as well.

I drank a few angry orchards last night,and I do not have covid-19 symptoms.It must be working.

Sweet.

I'll get our findings typed up and submitted to the New England Journal of Medicine pronto.:cheers:

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    I have mentioned some about commercial shipping in this thread before.

Last week was the worst so far for cancellations. Quadrupling in the last 3 months to 212.
    [FONT=lucida_granderegular]Copenhagen-based Sea-Intelligence reported on Monday that 212 sailings over the last three months had been canceled in response to major shipping lines reducing capacity along routes in developed and emerging markets. The total number of "bank" (canceled) sailings has quadrupled over the last week, reported [/FONT]American Shipper[FONT=lucida_granderegular].

[/FONT]
    [FONT=lucida_granderegular]And for some proof that a V-shape recovery in the global economy is a distant dream. The World Trade Organization (WTO) published a new report on Wednesday that offered some truly apocalyptic estimates for global growth:[/FONT]
    "World trade is expected to fall by between 13% and 32% in 2020 as the COVID 19 pandemic disrupts normal economic activity and life around the world."

Chart%202%20-%20Ratio%20of%20world%20merchandise%20trade%20growth%20to%20world%20GDP%20growth%2C%201990%E2%80%912020_0.png

https://www.zerohedge.com/economics...-19-sparks-unprecedented-surge-blank-sailings

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    It is more broad than what it apparently was, but IMHO those are the criteria that should've been in place much earlier. There are a fair number of false negative tests (how scary is THAT?) especially in the early testing. And, the numbers support "more" deaths from this than what has been reported.

Brief (sorta) follow up on this. The ISDH and CDC actually have published directions on this.
    https://coronavirus.in.gov/files/NCHS Final Guidance for Reporting COVID-19 Deaths_04022020.pdf

It is fairly dense, partly because it is intended (I think) to be practical for a very narrow group of people who already know the lingo. Importantly:

In cases where a definite diagnosis of COVID–19 cannot be made, but it is suspected or likely (e.g., the circumstances are compelling within a reasonable degree of certainty), it is acceptable to report COVID–19 on a death certificate as “probable” or “presumed.” In these instances, certifiers should use their best clinical judgement in determining if a COVID–19 infection was likely. However, please note that testing for COVID–19 should be conducted whenever possible.

So there's a fair bit of discretion on the "close calls" about what to put down.

Also, for clarity, this is the tail end of a section that goes into great detail about how practitioners are supposed to document a death involving COVID-19. Even down to what line on a form to put COVID-19.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom