• Status
    Not open for further replies.

rw02kr43

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    Paragon
    I'm in a weird situation. I'm a contractor. The actual company I work for insists that I work from home. The job I actually do at the company is all hands on stuff. That company also says I should work from home, but they don't really understand what I do. I'm going to come in as long as my wife will let me. After that I don't know what I'll do.

Jason

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    I heard a French doctor say on the radio that you could have sex but should avoid kissing.
    He said maybe it was time to try new positions. :):

Also something along the lines of, "You should have sex, even with your wife if necessary...." ;)

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    [Side note: a FAMAS is one of my dream guns.]

You might have a chance of getting one now that they are being replaced by the H&K 416.

They made very few semi-auto ones for import to the US, they probably cost $10,000 now.

It's impossible for us to own the full-auto version and they don't offer the semi-auto version for civilians anymore (they made 1,000 in 1993). :noway:

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Here I am social distancing...most of the firm is working from home, so I am in the office.

Besides, I have 2 teens who do online school....and they sent my daughter home from college to finish the rest of the semester online, and that taxes the DSL pretty badly. Rural life is a hoot except for having no internet options.

...but I would be in the office anyway. I just don't get anything done at home. Scratch that, I'm in the middle of rebuilding a staircase at home and that would get done, but nothing billable.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    Still going in, if I could print from home I would be. Oh I can do setup from home but that’s only a small part.
    Customers can phone or email in orders so that’s not a problem.
    It’s been slooowww, as you can imagine.

Wifey works from home because that’s where her office is so no change there.

Mark-DuCo

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2012
    Ferdinand
    As of right now our factory (mainly restaurant, school, dorm, and hotel furniture) is running like normal other than most orders that go to schools or universities or delaying shipment, so our warehouse is filling up fast.

sparky32

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 5, 2013
    Morgantown
    I work for a contractor been there 11 years this year. I am considering taking a voluntary layoff. I have sub fund i can draw 500 bucks a week for 14 weeks(if unemployed) plus unemployment right around 850 a week total. Prob about 75% of what I make on a weekly basis. I have a lot of pride and am having trouble doing it though will wait another week before I pull the trigger.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    You are headed into "ignored".

It is apparent you don't know what you're quoting or you never would state that 8 banks represented 17% of US GDP and then quickly thereafter state it is 7.1%. I wonder whether you understand the composition of GDP?

Fractional banking and economics is complex and while there are some here who understand it, you don't see them arriving at the conclusions you've drawn.

I'm afraid you really don't know what it is about and I assume most will overlook your "sky is falling" conclusions wrt banking.

Good day.

So, shouldn't you enlighten us about where his errors lie with a few pithy paragraphs embodying your superior understanding (with citations) ... if you can?

Imperiousness is not a substitute for shared, fact-checked knowledge

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Smokingman, if you’re posting for rep, you’re doing it wrong. I’m certain I can speak for many of us when I say I did appreciate your posts, though.

I think he was saddened that he received negative rep from someone, not that he wanted more rep. His postings were interesting, informative and well supported with citations. All I'm seeing in response are folks arguing he's wrong because they want him to be, not because they have much evidence of it. How we interpret information is a personal choice but I wish we could save the arguments about how bad it will really be until after the government stops acting like it will really be bad. Until then, assuming the worst while hoping/praying to be wrong is the smarter course IMO. Perhaps those of us who prep are less likely to see the bright side (especially when it's not there)

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    It's not "hack" to be able to do that. Not a good idea in the least, but certainly not a hack. You can actually ventilate more than 4 at one time with a rigged system (if it is powerful enough). The difficulty is not in the ventilating but rather managing the respirations.

hack
    v.

1. To program a computer in a clever, virtuosic, and wizardly manner. Ordinary computer jockeys merely write programs; hacking is the domain of digital poets. Hacking is a subtle and arguably mystical art, equal parts wit and technical ability, that is rarely appreciated by non-hackers. See hacker.

2. To break into computer systems with malicious intent. This sense of the term is the one that is most commonly heard in the media, although sense 1 is much more faithful to its original meaning. Contrary to popular misconception, this sort of hacking rarely requires cleverness or exceptional technical ability; most so-called "black hat" hackers rely on brute force techniques or exploit known weaknesses and the incompetence of system administrators.

3. To jury-rig or improvise something inelegant but effective, usually as a temporary solution to a problem. See noun sense 2.

From the Urban Dictionary

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    She's a whack job. In theory yes, practicality absolutely not. I would not want this person for my doctor.

She is talking about ventilating patients; not maganing them for recovery.

If the choice was between this and no ventilation, which would you choose if you or a loved one would likely die without some help maintaining breathing? I think I'd opt for the non-zero chance

Hatin Since 87

Bacon Hater
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Mooresville
    So a question we’ve been discussing at work... why haven’t we done a national quarantine before it spreads further? The more it spreads, the less likely a quarantine will work. If we quarantine with the numbers fairly low, for say 2-3 weeks, we might be able to starve this virus out. A virus doesn’t have legs, it doesn’t walk and infect people, it’s transmitted through contact... if you can keep the transmitting under control you can keep the virus under control. Or am I not thinking about it correctly?

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    So a question we’ve been discussing at work... why haven’t we done a national quarantine before it spreads further? The more it spreads, the less likely a quarantine will work. If we quarantine with the numbers fairly low, for say 2-3 weeks, we might be able to starve this virus out. A virus doesn’t have legs, it doesn’t walk and infect people, it’s transmitted through contact... if you can keep the transmitting under control you can keep the virus under control. Or am I not thinking about it correctly?

That is a drastic step that creates many ripples. If you think the economy is taking a hit now with the more limited approach, just imagine if there was really nothing being produced or bought in any meaningful numbers. There's also a greater likelihood of civil unrest for something like that, although I'm not sure how big of a deal that is since most people tend to be law-abiding.

From a purely epidemiological approach, though, you're absolutely right. The hope is that the more narrowly focused quarantines/isolationism will do "enough" to have the current virus hot spots burn out.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom