‘A resume for future office’: Virus tests a GOP governor

800.jpeg

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Vitamin D levels may impact COVID-19 mortality rates, study claims.

https://www.foxnews.com/science/vitamin-d-levels-covid-19-mortality-rates

IMO, I'd take this with a grain of salt. We know that the people who died from WuVid 19 were overwhelmingly very old. These people are not very active and don't get outside much and as such Vitamin D deficiencies are common in the elderly

It could be correlation without causation if they did not control for pre-existing deficiency

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Some observations by Frank Viola in his 64-page Virus Crisis Survival Guide:
    The word “quarantine” comes from the Italian term "quaranta," a word invented during the fourteenth century black plague.

1) Reframe “normal.”
    If you look at world history, it’s actually normal for plagues, pestilences, economic fallouts -- not to mention other disasters -- to sweep through various parts of the earth from time to time.

2) No one knows what’s really going on, despite what they say.

3) We don’t know what the long-term repercussions of the virus are.

4) We don’t know how many people have really died from it.

5) We don’t know what’s going to happen with the economy over the next 12 months.

6) We don’t know if those who have had the infection and recovered can get it again.

7) We don’t know if/when a full-proof treatment will knock it out.

8) We don’t know if there will be a resurgence of infections in the Fall or Winter.

I could go on for pages, but this makes the point.
    As one who can see a conspiracy behind every rock, I have grown weary!

Where are the "Truthtellers?"
    Who do we believe?
    One of the political parties? Really? I think everyone knows better.
    Somewhere out there are medical people who are telling the Truth, but there voice is being drowned out by those with agendas.
    Will we really know the Truth about all this in 2 yrs., or just one version of it?

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    IMO, I'd take this with a grain of salt. We know that the people who died from WuVid 19 were overwhelmingly very old. These people are not very active and don't get outside much and as such Vitamin D deficiencies are common in the elderly

It could be correlation without causation if they did not control for pre-existing deficiency

I would guess those with vitamin D deficiency were pre-existing, even chronic. The matched control group they needed to include (and hopefully did) are those without vitamin D deficiency.

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan
    The word “quarantine” comes from the Italian term "quaranta," a word invented during the fourteenth century black plague.

1) Reframe “normal.”
    If you look at world history, it’s actually normal for plagues, pestilences, economic fallouts -- not to mention other disasters -- to sweep through various parts of the earth from time to time.

5) We don’t know what’s going to happen with the economy over the next 12 months.

6) We don’t know if those who have had the infection and recovered can get it again.

8) We don’t know if there will be a resurgence of infections in the Fall or Winter.

Who do we believe?
    Somewhere out there are medical people who are telling the Truth, but there voice is being drowned out by those with agendas.
    Will we really know the Truth about all this in 2 yrs., or just one version of it?

This is pretty much why I just don't really pay much attention to the whole thing or really care one way or another.

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.

1) Reframe “normal.”

Who do we believe?
    Patience.
    We are not a patient people, generally.

This is why I don’t get too riled up about the politics, or one opinions that seem to come with motivations.

We are so used to getting info now that we can’t hardly stand it when we have to wait for it. The way I see it, those that demand answers prematurely are more likely to reach wrong conclusions.

Patience.
    The truth will come out.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon

It absolutely is, based on data presented. That is my primary problem with articles - and, especially, headlines - based on such epidemiological evaluations. The article literally says "correlated", but the headline speciously changes that to "may impact".

dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States
    I would guess those with vitamin D deficiency were pre-existing, even chronic. The matched control group they needed to include (and hopefully did) are those without vitamin D deficiency.

I haven't read this particular paper yet but vitamin D deficiency is shown to be a contributor to other respiratory diseases that people typically get in the winter like cold and flu. And if Vitamin D deficiency is a large contributor to morbidity and mortality for covid-19, it may be part of the reason why so many dark-skinned people in Northern climates are getting more severe illness

Often these things are overstated or totally made-up, in the case of an easy solution with a supplement. I certainly don't think vitamin D is going to solve the covid-19 problem but a low dose is completely harmless. We started taking a thousand units each back in February that's a pretty small dose but without an actual known deficiency it makes sense to me

dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States
    Patience.
    We are not a patient people, generally.

This is why I don’t get too riled up about the politics, or one opinions that seem to come with motivations.

We are so used to getting info now that we can’t hardly stand it when we have to wait for it. The way I see it, those that demand answers prematurely are more likely to reach wrong conclusions.

Patience.
    The truth will come out.

i recommend following Laurie Garrett on Twitter. She's a bioscience journalist and wrote a book in the late 90s that describe the way something like this was going to happen. I don't mean she just predicted a disaster. I mean she understands why we were so vulnerable. Although the US was expected to be better prepared than it is

This week on CNN, she described the difficulties of getting a widespread vaccine. She didn't really say anything shocking in itself but when you put it all together you see how difficult it is to get a vaccine developed and especially distributed

Almost no one here will like her politics, just as a warning. She's pretty mad at Trump about the handling of the pandemic and from a couple of comments she tweeted I think she's also anti-gun. But i learn a lot from her about the issues of the pandemic. She seemed to have supported George Bush by the way so she's not a complete partisan

Check out Laurie Garrett (@Laurie_Garrett): https://twitter.com/Laurie_Garrett?s=09

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom