• Status
    Not open for further replies.

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    or... perhaps... this was never as bad as it was claimed to be
    . perhaps some anecdotes of severe illness were believed to be typical and repeated time and again.

yes, not putting people on vents seemed to improve outcomes. they are using convalescent plasma also, transfusing antibodies from previously infected patients into the critically ill.

but ultimately I think what happened is massive population centers like NYC has been burned out and has high immunity levels. other places were never going to by NYC or Italy and had some bumps as expected. what we are seeing now isn't less severe illness. it's the same illness just in less dense petri dishes.

and T.Lex, it's called "rafting" together, not hooking :):. though I'm convinced some hooking occurs while rafting

I just hope the doctors get the credit, not the politicians. But you know who's going to be first at the microphone...

Doc, I'd like to know your opinion on something. How much do you think the tone of our response has been affected by the initial pants-sh!tting paper published by the Imperial College of London med people, theorizing about "asymptomatic transmission" and the possibility of the virus staying live on surfaces for 9 days, was that based on looking at lies from China, etc.? It certainly seems like not much changed as a result of it. We turned the world upside down, the people who were always going to die, died anyway, and here we are.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    It's a weird feeling when I actually get pissed by the old lady in Kroger just now coughing loudly and openly walking down an aisle. Just loud, deep coughs.

terrehautian

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 6, 2012
    Where ever my GPS says I am
    I broke my “I’m not going to menards until there isn’t a mask policy” policy today. Redoing our deck so had to buy lumber and things. Hopefully they get the 40 16’ deck boards in a few weeks. Our current deck is pretty much deconstructed. They didn’t have any 4x4 posts either due to covid shutting down saw mills. My brother in law is checking out Lowe’s tomorrow here for us and if not there, the places around indy. Have to get more stuff in a few weeks but most of it for now.

As for a mask, my wife got a few from work just Incase it was needed for a funeral.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    Hm, interesting. Would that be suitable for putting in a spray bottle and cleaning things like shoes? Not just food surfaces?

I don't see why it couldn't be used in that way. It is my primary disinfectant in my current hotel. Granted, I drive, rather than fly, to this site, so I'm not concerned with volume of liquids. That said, one stearamine tablet is really cheap, even if I have to fly, and waste part of whatever solution I make up. So, it could become part of my regular travel kit.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    I for one am happy about it.

I have also had my eyes opened to just how political science has become. I thought it was just a few "bad apples". Now I see it is most of them.

You can not trust scientific papers any longer. Not when they can buy data points from a company that did not even gather it to begin with.

It really has shattered my belief that any of them follow science...especially now. Defending protesters right to assemble while still telling others to stay home and not go to work or church(signed by over 1200 scientists).

I had to much faith in the people to do the right thing and practice actual science.

By the way the WHO changed mask guidance again today(bowing to political pressure to do so). Now we should all wear cloth masks in public. Prior to the refinement today the WHO said only those sick or caring for the sick should wear a mask.

Welcome to the desert of the real. I swallowed that particular red pill some time ago. Working in a STEM field, it is indeed difficult to accept.

Ben Nelson

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 26, 2011
    Corner of Walk & Dont Walk
    Welcome to the desert of the real. I swallowed that particular red pill some time ago. Working in a STEM field, it is indeed difficult to accept.

I hear you . . . From working in a STEM field to now working as an editor/publisher in a STEM field, what I see passing as science now is disgusting. As smokingman puts it, "you can not trust scientific papers any longer" and it has been that way in my organization for the last 10 years or so.

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    STEM is really just an acronym for modern-day so-called empirical religion.

I can't tell if this is supposed to be an insult or not. I kinda want my scientists, doctors, engineers, etc "worshiping" empirical data to make sound decisions so I'm less likely to die at their hands. It seems the topic at hand here is that they're worshiping political pressure and BS instead. Maybe I just read your statement in an odd way?

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    I can't tell if this is supposed to be an insult or not. I kinda want my scientists, doctors, engineers, etc "worshiping" empirical data to make sound decisions so I'm less likely to die at their hands. It seems the topic at hand here is that they're worshiping political pressure and BS instead. Maybe I just read your statement in an odd way?
    Yeah, I assume I've missed it as well. STEM is like saying "Liberal Arts" rather than listing them all out.

OurDee

nobody
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Sep 16, 2017
    Camby
    I don't see why it couldn't be used in that way. It is my primary disinfectant in my current hotel. Granted, I drive, rather than fly, to this site, so I'm not concerned with volume of liquids. That said, one stearamine tablet is really cheap, even if I have to fly, and waste part of whatever solution I make up. So, it could become part of my regular travel kit.

I'd use it to clean the hotel tub. First thing I do.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom