• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    Chesty was harsh from what I hear, but Mattis is still around to kick your a**!

Hopefully they get new barrels to drop them even more. Not like they are subject to the NFA rules.

Kobe has a point. It's one more thing to keep track of in the woods, and keep clean in the mud. Once it gets lost, or torn up, you gotta pay the piper.

As to barrel length, we're already having trouble with engaging targets in Afghanistan. Every battlefield is different, but we don't have the budget to have multiple uppers for each infantryman. It would be cool, though. So when you talk about shortening a 14.5" barrel, you're removing more of the functionality it already sucks at.

cop car

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Southside
    Silencers make it a whole lot harder to identify where you are being shot at from. Not to mention the night fire benifits. I think it's time for bullpups though. Much easier to have a 14-16 inch barrel with a silencer on the end of it.

Excalibur

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   2   0
    May 11, 2012
    NWI
    Silencers make it a whole lot harder to identify where you are being shot at from. Not to mention the night fire benifits. I think it's time for bullpups though. Much easier to have a 14-16 inch barrel with a silencer on the end of it.

I agree with that. Suppressors added length to rifles that were meant for CQB and to fully get the benefit of suppressors and CQB, you’d need to shorten the rifle down to 10ins like some special forces look, otherwise, a 14.5in M4 can easily go back to being as odd to handle in close quarters like a full size M16. A bullpup would eliminate that problem in CQB. But the costs for transitioning the size of the inventory in the US military wouldn’t be feasible.

cop car

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Southside
    It's going to happen. Just a matter of when. Not if. Question is will they transfer to the caseless round at the same time. The next leap in what our military uses is going to be mind boggling and it will be in the next 20 years. A silencer on the end of a bull pup is way more manageable and comfortable. Less of a lever pulling down on you. A 14.5 M4 is good inside a house. A 14.5 M4 with a can on it goes back to not being so good.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    The Army was trying to work on bull pups back in the 60's, as well as caseless ammunition. And they've been flirting with them off and on ever since. I hate bull pups, but I suppose it's a possibility for the future.

Last edited:

Beowulf

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    They could solve this by issuing two different uppers to most ground troops. A 16" barrel for out in the open fighting and a 10" barrel for close in CQB with a suppressor. Swapping an upper on an AR takes a few seconds (and an update to the 40+ year old pin design could make that even simpler).

Sure, it's extra gear for the guys to hump, but gone are the days where our soldiers are walking 40 miles from a supply head into combat (outside of some fairly rare circumstances, which are usually done by specialized troops anyway, like Rangers or Seals, etc).

Or, just switch to a bullpup already, like a number of other modern armies have (Brits, Israelis, Belgians, French, Australians, Austrians, Chinese, etc)

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    They could solve this by issuing two different uppers to most ground troops. A 16" barrel for out in the open fighting and a 10" barrel for close in CQB with a suppressor. Swapping an upper on an AR takes a few seconds (and an update to the 40+ year old pin design could make that even simpler).

Sure, it's extra gear for the guys to hump, but gone are the days where our soldiers are walking 40 miles from a supply head into combat (outside of some fairly rare circumstances, which are usually done by specialized troops anyway, like Rangers or Seals, etc).

Or, just switch to a bullpup already, like a number of other modern armies have (Brits, Israelis, Belgians, French, Australians, Austrians, Chinese, etc)

Rare instances like the entire war in Afghanistan?

And please stop using that word Bullpup. I don't want anyone in the Pentagon getting any bad ideas.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    And please stop using that word Bullpup. I don't want anyone in the Pentagon getting any bad ideas.
    Sorry, dude, that ship (the LCS) has sailed.

And the fighter (the F-35) flown.

I could go on.... :)

Top Bottom