• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rocketscientist

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2014
    Valparaiso
    as I said in my op, i was in a parking spot, getting ready to go into the store for my son's cupcakes.

Getting home unscathed is more important than cupcakes bro. Granted, I wasn't there, but from what you described, I woulda burnt rubber outta there. No offense meant, but I'm concerned that someone of your background and line of work wouldn't instinctively move yourself out of danger when it presented itself. If the guy wanted to kill you, by sitting there in your parking spot you basically offered him a free and clear shot.
    Its only pure luck that he was not one of those people. I hope to God you realize that.

I'm not saying all this stuff just to give you crap, or make you look like a fool. I actually care even though I don't know you from Adam. I'm trying to get you thinking about how to react to the next encounter. Trust me, this won't be the last. Seriously. Run some "what if" scenarios in your head and have a pre-plan next time some angry a-hole comes beating on your door.

AA&E

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 4, 2014
    Southern Indiana
    BTW, there's a reason for not allowing firearms to be kept in the vehicles (by CO's, employees, or civilians) while on the prison grounds. It has nothing to do with 'CO's aren't cops so shouldn't have firearms'.

The reason is that if a convict escapes, within just a few yards they could have ready access to a firearm. It's not much of a 'stretch' to understand that if firearms were allowed be stowed in cars, likely most CO's (and many if not most staff members) would do so. A simple rock or stout stick would permit an escapee to obtain that firearm, which obviously compounds the problem.

Further, while everyone (at least on INGO, anyway) is aware there are 'lockboxes' for vehicles, chances are many (most?) would be more apt to just leave the gun in the glove box or underneath the seat or something similar.

As noted earlier in the thread, CO's lives are pretty much an 'open book' as far as the inmates are aware. Therefore, it would be HIGHLY likely that any escapee would know what vehicle(s) to head for to find that gun.

The solution to that would be to allow the CO's to carry onto the property, and provide a secured lockbox system (similar to what LEO's have at their disposal when visiting the prison), most likely at the primary point of entry for the CO's and staff. These would be secured in the same manner as other firearms are stored at the prison, and the CO would simply check his firearm in and out each working day.

For logistical reasons (storage space) long guns could still be prohibited, but it's fairly easy and not 'space intensive' to store even 60 or 100 handguns in a 'lockbox wall'. NO loading or unloading permitted, or needed. CO (or staff) simply places their handgun in the lockbox, and heads on their way.

Having worked both jobs, IMO the CO (as current law stands) has a much greater risk 'off duty' than the LEO. Due to the nature of prisons, the CO is much more likely to run into a former inmate and / or family member than the average LEO.

To the OP's post, based on the events as presented, it's a distinct possibility that the ex-con recognized the OP and / or the OP's vehicle, and pulling out and cutting off the OP could well have been intentional, and an opportunity presented itself for the ex-con to initiate an incident with the OP.

It's for this reason that I originally posted that ALL CO's (at least in Indiana, but IMO, in every State) should be armed and sworn Officers, just as their LEO counterparts are. And paid at the same level as their equivalent LEO's (County or State).

OK, but couldn't the same be said for houses located just down the street from this prison? Where do you draw the line?

ChalupaCabras

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    LaPorte / Kingsbury
    BTW, there's a reason for not allowing firearms to be kept in the vehicles...

The reason is that if a convict escapes, within just a few yards they could have ready access to a firearm...

I work at a facility that has found loaded pistols in the visitors bathroom inside the facility. FURTHERMORE, you have to walk past an armed CO to get from the facility to the staff parking lot.

Multiple oprotunities exist for an inmate to aquire a weapon BEFORE they get to the parking lot in many cases. The attitude I have gotten for YEARS from the administration is EXACTLY that they don't trust their staff.

The solution to that would be to allow the CO's to carry onto the property, and provide a secured lockbox system (similar to what LEO's have at their disposal when visiting the prison), most likely at the primary point of entry for the CO's and staff. These would be secured in the same manner as other firearms are stored at the prison, and the CO would simply check his firearm in and out each working day.

At our facility, there are many more LEO lock boxes than ever get used. There is ample room for several COs to store weapons in the main gate lockers, yet that is expressly prohibited by the administration and the specific post orders... The admin simply doesn't trust us to do so.

For logistical reasons (storage space) long guns could still be prohibited, but it's fairly easy and not 'space intensive' to store even 60 or 100 handguns in a 'lockbox wall'. NO loading or unloading permitted, or needed. CO (or staff) simply places their handgun in the lockbox, and heads on their way.

We have several long gun lockboxes as well... They never get used, and are currently used to store sleeves of styrofoam cups.

The bottom line is that the majority of admin personel has no faith in us, and has no interest in helping us.

MickeyBlueEyes

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    BFE, Indiana
    I really doubt there is anyone following this thread anymore, but the last paragraph was my small victory to the parking lot exemptions. When folks suggest breaking the law, I have another suggestion, getting the law changed.

[FONT=&quot][h=1]2017 Indiana Code
    TITLE 34. Civil Law and Procedure
    ARTICLE 28. SPECIAL PROCEEDINGS: MISCELLANEOUS CIVIL PROCEEDINGS AND REMEDIES
    CHAPTER 7. Possession of Firearms and Ammunition in Locked Vehicles
    34-28-7-2. Regulation of employees' firearms and ammunition by employers[/h][/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Universal Citation: IN Code § 34-28-7-2 (2017)
    IC 34-28-7-2 Regulation of employees' firearms and ammunition by employers Sec. 2. (a) Notwithstanding any other law and except as provided in subsections (b) and (c), a person may not adopt or enforce an ordinance, a resolution, a policy, or a rule that:
    (1) prohibits; or
    (2) has the effect of prohibiting;
    an employee of the person, including a contract employee, from possessing a firearm or ammunition that is locked in the trunk of the employee's vehicle, kept in the glove compartment of the employee's locked vehicle, or stored out of plain sight in the employee's locked vehicle.
    (b) Subsection (a) does not prohibit the adoption or enforcement of an ordinance, a resolution, a policy, or a rule that prohibits or has the effect of prohibiting an employee of the person, including a contract employee, from possessing a firearm or ammunition:
    (1) on the property of:
    (A) a child caring institution;
    (B) an emergency shelter care child caring institution;
    (C) a private secure facility;
    (D) a group home;
    (E) an emergency shelter care group home; or
    (F) a child care center;
    in violation of 465 IAC 2-9-80, 465 IAC 2-10-79, 465 IAC 2-11-80, 465 IAC 2-12-78, 465 IAC 2-13-77, or 470 IAC 3-4.7-19;
    (2) in violation of federal law;
    (3) in or on property belonging to an approved postsecondary educational institution (as defined in IC 21-7-13-6(b));
    (4) on the property of a domestic violence shelter;
    (5) at the employer's residence;
    (6) on the property of a person that is:
    (A) subject to the United States Department of Homeland Security's Chemical Facility Anti-Terrorism Standards issued April 9, 2007; and
    (B) licensed by the United States Nuclear Regulatory Commission under Title 10 of the Code of Federal Regulations;
    (7) on property owned by:
    (A) a public utility (as defined in IC 8-1-2-1) that generates and transmits electric power; or
    (B) a department of public utilities created under IC 8-1-11.1; or
    (8) in the employee's personal vehicle if the employee, including a contract employee, is a direct support professional who:
    (A) works directly with individuals with developmental disabilities to assist the individuals to become integrated into the individuals' community or least restrictive environment; and
    (B) uses the employee's personal vehicle while transporting an individual with developmental disabilities.
    (c) A person shall adopt or enforce an ordinance, a resolution, a policy, or a rule that requires an employee of the person, including a contract employee, who possesses a firearm or ammunition on the property of a penal facility (as defined in IC 35-31.5-2-232), to:
    (1) secure the firearm or ammunition or both in a locked case; and
    (2) store the firearm or ammunition, or both:
    (A) in the trunk of the employee's vehicle;
    (B) in the glove compartment of the employee's locked vehicle; or
    (C) out of plain sight in the employee's locked vehicle.

[/FONT]

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Not sure if you saw, I got the law changed buddy. No stash needed. Read the last paragraph of the quote.

Nicely done. It has been a long time, but I still remember what it is like. I certainly do not envy you your job. I dont miss it one little bit!

Top Bottom