• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lmyer

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 28, 2012
    South Bend
    I have a Mosin Nagant and a can of ammo coming Friday. I've read that this ammo is corrosive. What steps do I need to take after firing it?

Many opinions on this one.

You will want to clean it both initially when you get it and then again after shooting. Lots of threads on cosmo removal over on Gunboards.

After shooting if you have a good brass jag and tight patches pushed once through the bore, pretty much any bore solvent will physically push out the residual KCl left from the primers used in milsurp ammo (especially if your bore is nice and not frosty).

Others subscribe to a couple water patches, followed by normal cleaning with a bore solvent.

Yet others like a water or light soap solution down the bore, followed by oiling or treatment with Ballistol and the like.

Yet others like Windex or any number of things to clean the bore.

Yet others have other favorites......

Bottom line is nothing "neutralizes" salts, only water dissolves KCl, and it is not absolutely required to dissolve the KCl in order to clean a good bore with tight patches effectively. Note that tight patches take a good jag and a 1-piece rod. I use a bore guide from Possum Hollow.

Just don't forget to clean it same day (sooner if really humid outside), and then inspect the next after shooting corrosive
    . That will tell you if your cleaning has worked.

If a frosty bore, it is much more difficult to clean and may never give clean patches without serious effort each time. If frosty, expecting clean patches each time is not advisable as cleaning to that extent will do more damage than good. I definitely would not take a bore brush to a frosty bore each time you shoot, just to try to get clean patches.

Myself, I handload and I now only buy Mosins with pristine bores. Really keeps the numbers of Mosins I own down, and they do cost a wee bit more!

Congrats with your new Mosin and have fun!

Come shoot with us June 22!!

Les

Last edited:

Laughing Snake

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    SW Indy
    When my AK74 had a frosty barrel I rinsed it out with hot water in a utility sink then scrubbed with dry patches and brushes, then normal cleaning. It only took two humid days for it to get like that. Ever since I keep silica packs in my gun case to help.

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    Some hot soapy water followed by your regular cleaning regime is all that is required. I use plenty of the hot water soap mix, enough to heat the barrel that it dries almost instantly.
    A lot of people use windex, but windex is simply a mild soap and water solution with a a miniscule amount of ammonia.
    But yes, the main thing is that irregardless of the method used, it HAS to be done at, the sooner the better, not something that can be put off to next weekend. I've seen barrels start to rust within minutes if it is humid enough.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    FYI:

Don't believe the Windex hype. Windex is 93-97% water depending on formulation.

Windex for this purpose only works because of the water in it. Personally, Windex is some rather expensive water.

Just use water do help dissolve the corrosive salts, or another method to remove them.

Keep in mind that if you use water to flush, you'll then have to take care of the water.

-J-

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Lol knew the windex urban legend would pop up.

Use water and clean it as soon as possible.

It always rears it's ugly head!

It's one of my missions in life to educate folks about it - so they're not spending money needlessly on WATER. :D

beeeman

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    soapy hot water rinse
    blow out water with compressed air
    clean as usual

"So, what kind of ammo does your gun eat?"
    "Comrade, in Soviet Russia, ammo eats gun!"

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I know the Windex (actually I use windshield washer fluid) isn't necessary, but it does have surfactants in it unlike plain water, which I think makes the "real" cleaning a little easier when I get home from the range. Usually I have very little real cleaning of the bore to do after I get done with the Windex rinse-n-dry.

beeeman

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    The problem with plain water is that the salts can hide in/under existing hydrocarbons (ie lubricants). Use soapy water to break these down.

lmyer

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 28, 2012
    South Bend
    I have no doubt that hot water, or hot water with a little soap in it, or even Windex is quite effective in cleaning up after corrosive milsurp.

I can say that I would personally be careful to get rid of residual water and soap afterwards. This can be done by cleaning the bore with enough hot water to cause evaporation by the residual heat - or by following with a normal cleaning. See.... everyone is right!!

Just pick a method and clean away! If you use water make sure you get it all out of your rifle.

If you don't want deal with any of this, then handload or shoot Privi ammo.

Les

Redtbird

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Apr 18, 2012
    Monroe County
    I listened to & read about several different ways to clean a Mosin. Then, I made up my own concoction that seemed to work.

In an 8 oz squirt bottle, I added a healthy shot of Dawn Dishwashing Soap. about 1.5 oz ammonia, and filled the bottle with hot water.

Then I plugged then end of the barrel and filled it full of my solution and let it set for about three to four minutes. I drained, replugged and filled it again, letting the fluid set for about four minutes, and drained.

Next a wet patch of Hoppe's solvent, one way down the barrel. I let that soak while I changed to a bore brush and worked my way down. After this, about 6-8 patches to dry the bore.

A good shot of Gun Scrubber was next, with another pass of the bore brush. Then 4-6 patches, or until coming out clean finished the job.

Used an old toothbrush and Q-tips soaked in my cleaning solution on all the metal parts and the mag follower. Also used the same on the bolt.

Finally an inspection with a light and an oily patch down the barrel and she looked a pretty as new!

Several steps, I know, but this is my first Mosin, and I wanted to be sure. Maybe when I have a dozen or so, I will take them to the laundry mat and run them thru one of their machines! :D

I took it out today for its second shooting and...WOAH! Ran PERFECT for me. On two 12x12 inch targets I pasted a 6 inch Shoot-N-C; one came back with thirteen(13) holes in the 6 inch circle. At 100 yards. With iron sights. :D

As James Brown would say, "I feel good!" :D

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 29, 2012
    Freedom, Indiana
    I listened to & read about several different ways to clean a Mosin. Then, I made up my own concoction that seemed to work.

In an 8 oz squirt bottle, I added a healthy shot of Dawn Dishwashing Soap. about 1.5 oz ammonia, and filled the bottle with hot water...........

That's a LOT of cleaning...I may be too lazy to shoot a Mosin...lol

strokin7.3

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 23, 2012
    Hancock County
    That's a LOT of cleaning...I may be too lazy to shoot a Mosin...lol

Ran 70 or 80 rounds through my t53 a month or so ago, ran patches through it with hoppes no. 9, wiped everything down with a remoil wipe and tossed it back in the safe. No rust, no corrosion a month later. People make way too big of a deal out of shooting corrosive ammo. Do you think the russians had the down time to be pouring boiling water down their bores while the mother land was being invaded?

Top Bottom