• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    The 12th Edition of Cartridges of the World has hit the shelves. There isn't much about it that is terribly different than the 11th edition, but there IS one noteworthy comment in it.

They make mention of folks shortening 35 Remington cases by .120" to meet Indiana's deer-hunting regulations. I might pick one up, just to see what they had to say. :)

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    Looks interesting, think I'll pick one up too, I have a lot of old military ammo stored - once in a while I lose the identification attached. I then have to measure the round to re-identify. My son has all the reloading manuals at his house so have used the web but having this book would be helpful.

Cerberus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2011
    Floyd County
    Can you be more specific?

Oh there are a few. On the section on the .44-77 Sharps, it said it was a popular target round but not popular on the buffalo prairies. Wrong.

And there were some inaccuracies on the .45 Sharps cartridge family, but I don't remember all of them. Most of them were "rookie" type mistakes.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    Oh there are a few. On the section on the .44-77 Sharps, it said it was a popular target round but not popular on the buffalo prairies. Wrong.

And there were some inaccuracies on the .45 Sharps cartridge family, but I don't remember all of them. Most of them were "rookie" type mistakes.

When you said "very erroneous" in your earlier post, I thought you meant some truly egregious mistake, not a question of perception or hyperbole.

All in all, COTW is a remarkable reference work for anyone remotely interested in firearms and cartridges. It might even be considered acceptable for a book with thousands of entries to have one or two you do not fully agree with. ;)

Top Bottom