• ...and so much more!
  • Disposable84

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 4, 2017
    Palmyra
    Mother-In-Law saw a cougar crossing between two dense woods out on Bradford Road just outside of Greenville, Indiana .. She was on her way to work about 3am. That was about a month ago.
    I am not to nervous about one sneaking up on me in our woods though. we have many horses , goats, chickens, and cows that would be offering a more tasty meal.

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Lawrence County
    Still like to see those cougar track pics.

And, no don't try to bait for cougar. They only eat what they kill unless they are very young. They and bobcats cache their kills and stack debris on them, but only Cougar eviscerate their kill.

The one I saw in 2014 I put out cameras and never got a pic. I still have cameras in the area and still no pics.

Last edited:

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    117   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    here is the pic my neighbor got.......

xsx7a.jpg

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    117   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    never seen any tracks here or at neighbors......back in the 80's over by the Viaduct i seen some tracks but i didn't have a camera......that is a pic of a pic he sent me.....i'll get the original which is much clearer....

kolob10

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Nov 28, 2008
    Beautiful Southern Indiana
    I picked up a cougar track last year while hiking in the snow. Saw them again a week later in the mud along my creek. Told my son and he dismissed it as a big bobcat track.
    A couple months ago, he and I were coming back to the house from the range and he stopped to rest. He looked down in the mud and saw the track there. He looked at me and stated that maybe I did see cougar tracks. He scrutinized the tracks for a few minutes and admitted they were from a cat bigger than a bobcat. We have never seen the cat but my daughters boyfriend reported that it crossed the road in front of him one night a year ago. He didn't tell anyone then because he thought it to be unbelievable by others. No he doesn't drink or do drugs! I understand that cougars have a large range which would account for scarce sightings or tracks. I have a game camera in the woods but have never picked up any big cats.

FCS-04

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 27, 2013
    Bloomfield
    I've seen tracks that I thought were mountain lion (cougar) in a hollow in the Jackson county side of HNF but since have dismissed them as a large bob cat. I spend lots and lots of time all throughout the HNF and have seen some bob cats but no signs of a mountain lion. I like to think there's a couple out there but I haven't seen anything to say there is.

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Lawrence County
    Like you, FCS-04, I have never seen sign. I spend a good bit of time afield at NSWC Crane, year round, and back when they let us had multiple cams out year round, never any pics. However, in my 32 years here I have personally seen two cougar. Never any sign, never any pics, but I have seen two. One in the daylight less than 30 yards away, and one at night in the headlights of my car less than 20 feet away. They are illusive.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Like you, FCS-04, I have never seen sign. I spend a good bit of time afield at NSWC Crane, year round, and back when they let us had multiple cams out year round, never any pics. However, in my 32 years here I have personally seen two cougar. Never any sign, never any pics, but I have seen two. One in the daylight less than 30 yards away, and one at night in the headlights of my car less than 20 feet away. They are illusive.

Around here? At Crane?

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    DNR said their are no big cats in Indiana.

Here is an unrelated story.
    My daughter at the time was 9 Years old were deer hunting when we were stationed at Ft Polk LA.

We were 20 miles from anyone deep in the Louisiana woods.
    After an uneventful morning my child demanded omelets with bacon on the side so we (she) decided we were leaving.
    Three deer crossed the fire break about 20 meters in front at a full run my spider sensor went off.
    I pulled the child monkey close closer to me and saw a dark red large K9 pass in chase of the deer one of which seemed to be wounded.
    We turned and ran straight up the hill to get a better shot my child was ready to get a deer.
    Then about 20 meters in front of us one,two three deer then a Wolf not a coyote a f$$@ing Wolf.

So we go to the fish and game office staffed with one federal game warden and one state game warden.
    "yeah that was a Red Wolf" we can't say that they are in the area but they are.

WTF!!!'

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Lawrence County
    I believe near his home... he lives close to where the Lawrence County Deputy saw one a few years back...

that's true - it was at the junction of Hwy 37 and Washboard road - approximately one mile from my house. However, again, no one snapped any pics, gathered any evidence so the DNR does not count it. In fact, almost none of the sightings are "confirmed" by DNR due to lack of physical evidence.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I believe near his home... he lives close to where the Lawrence County Deputy saw one a few years back...

that's true - it was at the junction of Hwy 37 and Washboard road - approximately one mile from my house. However, again, no one snapped any pics, gathered any evidence so the DNR does not count it. In fact, almost none of the sightings are "confirmed" by DNR due to lack of physical evidence.

I remember reading about that one in the paper. That year, there were a number of sightings around Lawrence county.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Right before the deputy sighting, two buddies of mine were shinning below my house and saw a cougar on a ridge. This was Guthrie TWP area. Right after that one was seen around Leatherwood Rd.

I don't remember anyone seeing one south of the river. Seems like they were all north.

joe138

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Lawrence County
    I saw the image that the Deputy had. It was the rear half of the cat pulling a road kill dear into the woods. The Deputy, who I know well, said that he saw it before he was able to get the picture and it ran into the woods. He said he then blacked out and waited by the carcass a few minutes. It then returned and he had his camera/phone ready. When he turned on his headlights he was able to catch the image. This was on SR37 between Avoca and Washboard Road.

Top Bottom