Could an LTCH holder have done anything to lessen the damage caused in Colorado?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Could an LTCH holder have done anything to lessen the damage in Colorado?

• Total voters

Valvestate

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2012
    NWI
    With all that extra weight, he would fall pretty hard and have a hard time getting back up. He'd either try to take a few shots or go fetal.

CX1

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 27, 2012
    Vigo Co.
    "The rarity of the event makes it an unrealistic concern for me" :ugh: really? I am sure the people in Aurora thought the same way.

Look at the numbers.

Opening week-end had $160,900,000 in US ticket sales.

'Dark Knight Rises' officially debuts with $249 million worldwide - latimes.com

The average ticket cost is a little over $8.

Movie Ticket Prices Plan to Increase in 2012 | Moneyland | TIME.com
    But to be generous I looked at Fandango to see ticket costs at the IMAX in Carmel IN zipcode(I figure those ought to be the high end on cost) and they are $12.00 for adult and $9.50 for child. (FYI IMAX tickets are cheaper in the 90201 area code :n00b: )

But since most tickets are not IMAX I will just use $10 a piece.

So that is approximately 16,900,000 viewings of the movie the first week-end.

Out of those 16,900,000 viewings 12 were killed by a spree killer. Or 0.00071%

And factor in that Batman only played on a little over 13% of the screens in the US that week-end.

Weekend Box Office Results for July 20-22, 2012 - Box Office Mojo

So yes it seems an unrealistic concern for me. Obviously it has happened once. But people have been killed by run-away elephants in this country too but I'm not concerned about that happening to me either.

But if you want to worry and prepare for events that happen that rarely go right ahead. You do have an elephant gun right?

wagyu52

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    South of cob corner
    CX1, I couldn't care less about your statistics, that is not the point. Stop putting words in my mouth, I never suggested that one should be prepared for everything, including runaway Elephants, never said anything of the sort. Aside from the fact that your comment is completely insensitive, the idea that this act evil is of no concern to you is wrong.
    A completely random act of mass violence should be a concern of everyone, if we don't figure out how to prevent these events we are doomed to have another one. I make no distinction between this event, killing, death, whatever you want to call it and what it really is, evil, sin. The only true way to defend yourself/family from evil is through the redeeming blood of Jesus Christ.

BLA

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 14, 2011
    Brown County
    No because hypotheticals dont work. I believe yes that it could have helped but we will never know for sure. hence that they dont work. It was a terrible thing that happened. God bless all the victims and their family's :ingo:

CX1

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 27, 2012
    Vigo Co.
    CX1, I couldn't care less about your statistics, that is not the point. Stop putting words in my mouth, I never suggested that one should be prepared for everything, including runaway Elephants, never said anything of the sort. Aside from the fact that your comment is completely insensitive, the idea that this act evil is of no concern to you is wrong.
    A completely random act of mass violence should be a concern of everyone, if we don't figure out how to prevent these events we are doomed to have another one. I make no distinction between this event, killing, death, whatever you want to call it and what it really is, evil, sin. The only true way to defend yourself/family from evil is through the redeeming blood of Jesus Christ.

What words have I put in your mouth? You wrote;
    For those who think an armed citizen would have had no effect in the theater shooting, I ask why even carry a weapon?
    And I explained why I would carry in a theater.

I also never stated that I was not concerned about the loss of life in the theater. So who is putting words in who's mouth now?

I am not concerned with being in a similar event due to the extreme rarity of that type of event.

Your religious views are also not something I am concerned about. This forum has rules that do not allow me to respond to them either. Maybe you should try to follow the religion rules here as well.

neeltburn

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2012
    I answer yes, it "could" have had some effect on the out come, but think about going to get that refill of your drink or popcorn right as the movie opens, unless the door he entered into the theater was right into the room where the movie was playing he likely walked down the hall before entering into auditorium 9. That would be your best chance to engage the threat, I would guess that a guy in body armor carrying multiple long guns and gas grenades is a threat. Things that this has brought to my mind are, I hardly ever carry a back up mag or a flashlight. As others have stated how do you know who is the good guys and who is the maggot err target you are trying to stop. Hopefully in the storm of Hell this would be clear but it is still something to think about. Active shooter situations are often more than a single patrol officer can handle let alone a LTCH could deal with, now many LTCH would have a better chance but still arriving LEOs are looking for a suspect with a gun and you don't want to be the guy holding a gun when they arrive, hopefully your actions would have ended the threat and you could re hostler but that is something to think about with any time you may have to use your carry gun.

RabbleRouser

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 24, 2011
    Mishawaka
    I went to see batman today, kinda of a hard time enjoying it. I kept scanning the room identifying points of potential cover and looking at the fire exit. never has my situational awareness been so high in a movie theater. and yes....I had my 1911 tucked under my shirt.

wagyu52

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    South of cob corner
    "But if you want to worry and prepare for events that happen that rarely go right ahead."where did I ever say that..you did, not me. I never said anything about being prepared for anything.

"I explained why I would carry in a theater."
    I agree with you :dunno: never did I say I didn't.

"I am not concerned with being in a similar event due to the extreme rarity of that type of event".
    Humm... so you added similar :scratch:
    "The rarity of the event makes it an unrealistic concern for me".
    Adding that one word kinda changes your statement, so which statement is true:dunno: it looks like you are changing the words that come from your mouth, not me.

I never made a religiously based thread, I broke no rules.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    What words have I put in your mouth? You wrote;
    And I explained why I would carry in a theater.

I also never stated that I was not concerned about the loss of life in the theater. So who is putting words in who's mouth now?

I am not concerned with being in a similar event due to the extreme rarity of that type of event.

Your religious views are also not something I am concerned about. This forum has rules that do not allow me to respond to them either. Maybe you should try to follow the religion rules here as well.

It's only a rarity, because you narrowed it down to Batman movie.
    I carry everywhere.
    The chance of violence occuring somewhere is much greater.

CX1

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 27, 2012
    Vigo Co.
    It's only a rarity, because you narrowed it down to Batman movie.
    I carry everywhere.
    The chance of violence occuring somewhere is much greater.
    My point being I would not personally use the Batman event as a reason to change when, where, what or how I carry. Specifically because that type of crime is so rare.

That does not mean I do not think that there are much more common crimes that are reasons for me to carry.

Please remember I was only responding to the question asked if I thought carrying would not have made a difference in the specific Batman event then why carry at all.

Another example, I carry a fire extinguisher in my car. I don't expect it to be helpful in a massive semi tanker fire but there are other possible events where it might be helpful so I have it for those type events.

The person I responded to seem to be asking since I didn't think my fire extinguisher would help in the specific event of a tanker fire then why have it at all.

bwrin

Plinker
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Anderson, IN
    considering he had on all that body armor, i think even if someone was carrying, the odds of them meeting the target and it actually being effective is pretty slim...i wasnt aware he had on a helmet and everything, that dude was determined

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    considering he had on all that body armor, i think even if someone was carrying, the odds of them meeting the target and it actually being effective is pretty slim...i wasnt aware he had on a helmet and everything, that dude was determined

He was, and that gives him an EDGE. Only an EDGE.
    Armor is not foolproof.
    He was wearing a mask. Which restrict sight, and sight alignment.
    He had to cover 180 degree in front, if he had a wall to his back. And he was looking though a mask.
    If people were popping up and shooting him, from different angles, he'd be down.
    And regardless, I'm not going to give up.
    If necessary, my damm chalk line will inch towards him.
    Fire until the threat is stopped.
    Or until you have exhausted your supply.
    Then knife.
    Then teeth.
    Or spit blood.
    If I'm going to die, it'll hopefully be facing him.

Top Bottom