• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • loudpedal

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Parc Fermé
    We all know that ammo is in short supply. As it becomes more plentiful it seems to me to be logical that the price will rise supply/demand driving that.

Worse yet my guess yup I said guess is that the monarchy will use all of this as an opportunity to tax the crap out of ammo in an effort to reduce gun sales,with the added benefit of increasing revenue, and building more bureaucracy.

If I'm correct, I assume that more people would turn to reloading.

Now to my question. Do you guys think that the feds will see reloading supplies as the next target? If so do you think that brass, powder, lead an so forth will be regulated, or taxed more?

I am not currently a reloader, and don't want to be one if I don't need to. Is it time to re-examine my position? :dunno:

03A3

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Shaker Prairie
    I wouldn't begin to guess what. gov might try to do about reloading components and/or surplus components.
    What is a certainty is the consumers will buy everything that isn't nailed down before long if it hasn't happened already.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    A lot depends on how far-reaching the govt. efforts go, in trying to strip law-abiding citizens of their Constitutional rights, during this emotionally-charged power play they are making in the wake of a great tragedy.

My personal opinion is that they will stick to low-hanging fruit; they know enough people hate "black guns" that they might be able to ban those w/o a political fall-out, if they strike while the pain is still fresh. If one of the 4 highly-publicized cases from the last year or so had been a guy that reloaded his own ammo, you can bet THAT would be splashed across the front page, as well.

Would I be going too far to say that someone who is of the mentality to load his own ammo, is precluded from the mental instability that causes one to do harm unto others? Maybe that is just wishful thinking, but every reloader I've ever met has been very conscious about ALL aspects of gun safety. That might be a natural carry-over from the care and caution one must exercise to load ammunition that isn't dangerous to ones self. :)

I don't think access to component brass, once-fired or otherwise, is going to become a problem for handloaders any time soon. At the moment, the greatest threat we all face is the panic buying from within our own ranks. :(

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    .223 brass is "out of stock" at just about every reloading supplier. Esp Midway, Midsouth and Weidners........The run is on!!!

Amazing. It's almost like the ticking bomb that we all expected to go off right after the election somehow had the mechanism get stuck and then Friday triggered it.

I have tens of thousands of .223/5.56 brass, if it's still scarce in a couple months I may pick me up some spare cash selling some off...

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    I don't think access to component brass, once-fired or otherwise, is going to become a problem for handloaders any time soon. At the moment, the greatest threat we all face is the panic buying from within our own ranks. :(

Yah, and for the last 2-3 years since the last panic eased I've been telling people that folks need to have at least 1-2 years worth of components on hand because they are cheap enough to stockpile and doing so keeps these types of panics from impacting everyone.

I plan on making a killing in primers this time around.

jmemmert

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Nov 5, 2009
    In less than a year you will see prices drop to much lower levels... People will also be selling of most of their stockpiles at big losses...

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    In less than a year you will see prices drop to much lower levels... People will also be selling of most of their stockpiles at big losses...

Interestingly enough, I thought that would happen after the panic buying 2008/2009, but it really didn't to any major degree. People seem to be holding on to their stashes better than I thought they would.

loudpedal

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Parc Fermé
    .223 brass is "out of stock" at just about every reloading supplier. Esp Midway, Midsouth and Weidners........The run is on!!!
    Well that answers much of my question right there.

Sadly I am not surprised by the panic buying of new ammo. When I posted I was expecting to get a lot of "your tinfoil must be too tight" kind of responses. My limited exposure to reloading shows in my failure to actually look into the availability of supplies before I asked my question. After I posted I started to think well maybe I had just been looking at tea leaves too long (maybe not.)

I hope that the feds will be so busy exploiting this tragedy that reloading supplies will not yet be on their radar. After I heard yesterday that the president announced that stuttering Joe would be the "brain trust" looking into gun control I didn't expect him to look very far down the road.

Sounds like after the panic cools down a bit perhaps I should give more consideration into learning the craft of reloading like it or not.

I'm not concerned about them banning ammo, but just making it so expensive that it is not affordable.

After all, they know that money is the ring in the nose that determines our behavior.

RonnieF

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    New Castle,Indiana
    If you do lmk I just bought a stevens 223 for yote and ammo is no where Id like to buy a couple hundred or so to have. (just starting to reload)

Amazing. It's almost like the ticking bomb that we all expected to go off right after the election somehow had the mechanism get stuck and then Friday triggered it.

I have tens of thousands of .223/5.56 brass, if it's still scarce in a couple months I may pick me up some spare cash selling some off...

MooreALX

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 8, 2012
    Hartford City
    I have a feeling they're going to go after ammo this time around. I remember them making a big deal about the wackjob in Colorado buying bulk ammo online, I see that as a sign. If they do go after that, I see them treating primers and possibly powder as live ammo too. I don't really see them going after brass/bullets though, I think it would be too hard for them to track.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    If you do lmk I just bought a stevens 223 for yote and ammo is no where Id like to buy a couple hundred or so to have. (just starting to reload)

Ronnie,

Since you're new to reloading, and won't need a ton of cases for a bolt-action, I'll be glad to send 100 pieces of once-fired. Shoot me a PM with your address and I'll snail-mail them to you...free of charge.

Profiting from the lack of foresight other reloaders have shown is simply not my style.

Jason

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    Just more panic buying. Granted, I have been reloading for about a year and a half now. I have not seen component prices increase like ammo. Honestly, I doubt they'll go after components. They are too stuck on banning those evil black rifles. Some people are probably new to reloading, or need to stock up on brass. I have plenty, so I'm not worried.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    Profiting from the lack of foresight other reloaders have shown is simply not my style.

Jason

During the last shortage I kept my friends supplied in components at the replacement prices (not the outrageous inflated prices some people were trying to get), and I've been hammering those same people to stock up ever since and most of them STILL don't have more than a small amount of supplies on hand. I used to take the high-road position like you, but I'm a little burned out on that right now.

Now, new reloaders are a different story, I'm more likely to just give them a few basic supplies to get them started just like you've offered here.

RonnieF

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    New Castle,Indiana
    Yes sadly all this started on the day my press was dropped off by ups. Being on a fixed income I used all my extra money for the month buying this. Trust me Im planning on stocking up. Im not getting into this to just have 50 or 60 rounds. As I told a select few people around here you buy your dies and pay for supplies ill load for you. Next payday Ill be buying primers and powder and some lead if I can find it.

So far loving this bored answer come fast and very friendly people.

During the last shortage I kept my friends supplied in components at the replacement prices (not the outrageous inflated prices some people were trying to get), and I've been hammering those same people to stock up ever since and most of them STILL don't have more than a small amount of supplies on hand. I used to take the high-road position like you, but I'm a little burned out on that right now.

Now, new reloaders are a different story, I'm more likely to just give them a few basic supplies to get them started just like you've offered here.

SecondAmendment

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 20, 2012
    They are definitely going to go after ammo. Feinstein and Obama have said the assault weapons ban is an important FIRST STEP.

SnoopLoggyDog

I'm a Citizen, not a subject
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw
    I remember the 94 ban when primers were sold out for months. After they became available at a reasonable price, I stocked up on powder, primers and bullets.

One tactic the gun banners may implement is an EPA requirement that all ammo be "Lead-Free". Lead-free primers only have a 3-5 year shelf life. Lead-Free priming compound diazodinitrophenol (DDNP) has a max rated 5 year shelf life. Some online sources are quoted that DDNP has a 10 year shelf life. However, the cases of training ammo that I have seen, all have a 5 year shelf life on them.

Top Bottom