• ...and so much more!
  • k1500

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2013
    West Lafayette
    1. All guns are always loaded.

I understand the concept behind this. If you treated a gun like this all the time, would you disassemble a loaded gun prior to cleaning it? Would you hand a loaded gun to a gun enthusiast to inspect or for him/her to load and fire?

dmarsh8

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    Katmandu
    1. All guns are always loaded.

I understand the concept behind this. If you treated a gun like this all the time, would you disassemble a loaded gun prior to cleaning it? Would you hand a loaded gun to a gun enthusiast to inspect or for him/her to load and fire?
    :popcorn:

ghostdncr

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Louisville
    I don't think it could be. If it's always loaded, it will always be treated as such and "accidents" won't be much of an issue. I feel fairly certain this is why Col. Cooper worded it as such.

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    The point is, don't point it at another person, or hopefully anything else you wouldn't want to destroy. Know what it's pointed at, and what's behind that. And keep your dang booger hook off of the bangswitch.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    When the Four Rules signs were painted at API/Gunsite Clint Smith painted "Treat all guns as always loaded." Cooper himself said the only caveat to Rule 1 is the one that you had unloaded and verified unloaded.

If you treated a gun like this all the time, would you disassemble a loaded gun prior to cleaning it?

No, unload it then clean it. Four Rules apply and ensure that you have a safe backstop before unloading as all guns may discharge when loading or unloading (with no fingers involved).

Would you hand a loaded gun to a gun enthusiast to inspect or for him/her to load and fire?

Depends on the circumstances. Four Rules would always apply so it would not matter.

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    I think OP means taking it the the logical extreme. As in, would you take apart a gun that is loaded? Of course not. We check to make sure they aren't before we do, but, if we follow the rule directly as stated, even directly after checking the chamber it should still be treated as loaded and therefore unsafe to take apart.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I think OP means taking it the the logical extreme

Those that have their own schools to promote and their own franchises to sell deliberately confuse the issue without telling people the full teachings of API/Gunsite.

Unload the firearm, inspect it, clean it, use it in your Rush drum solo a la Krieger, just follow the Four Rules and you and others will be fine.

Mackey

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    interwebs
    Maybe the rule should be:
    All guns [strike]could[/strike] will explode without notice with the force of a tactical nuke and should never be handled at all, or even talked about in polite circles as even the mention of a weapon by name has been known to cause it to go on a wild shooting spree ... and if it doesn't kill you will painfully scratch your eye for spite!

Or:
    All guns are loaded with Black Talons

Slawburger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Almost Southern IN
    People get spun up over this. Maybe the board they used for a sign wasn't big enough for a full paragraph per rule or he just wanted something short and easy to remember. I know what it means as do most people.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    I think that if someone doesn't understand the wisdom he was trying to impart maybe they aren't smart enough to own a gun.

pasonik

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2012
    My rules with over 40 years of gun ownership:
    Treat every gun as if it were loaded is a given.
    1. Finger OFF the trigger until you're ready to shoot.
    2. Always be aware of where the muzzle is pointed. NEVER point at anything that you don't want to shoot.
    3. EVERYTIME you pick up a gun or are handed a gun, ALWAYS check to see if it is loaded. I've been handed guns before that I was told were not loaded, and surprise! I find a bullet chambered!!
    4 Anytime you plan on pulling the trigger outside of the range, check, double check, and it doesn't hurt to triple check to make sure a round isn't chambered.
    5. Do not sleep with a gun under your pillow! You might grab it in the middle of the night and fire off a round! :):

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    When the Four Rules signs were painted at API/Gunsite Clint Smith painted "Treat all guns as always loaded." Cooper himself said the only caveat to Rule 1 is the one that you had unloaded and verified unloaded.

No, unload it then clean it. Four Rules apply and ensure that you have a safe backstop before unloading as all guns may discharge when loading or unloading (with no fingers involved).

Depends on the circumstances. Four Rules would always apply so it would not matter.

Agreed. It means it is loaded, so you then need to unload it to confirm it is clear. Set the gun down, and walk away, it is loaded again, and you need to clear it. It means if someone clears and hands it to you, then you clear it again.

I think OP means taking it the the logical extreme. As in, would you take apart a gun that is loaded? Of course not. We check to make sure they aren't before we do, but, if we follow the rule directly as stated, even directly after checking the chamber it should still be treated as loaded and therefore unsafe to take apart.

It is loaded, so clear it, then clean it.

The gun is always loaded until you prove to yourself that very instant that it is not. I'm sure there will be a Schrödinger's cat reference here at some point.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    I think that if someone doesn't understand the wisdom he was trying to impart maybe they aren't smart enough to own a gun.

^^^This!^^^

^^^^THIS^^^^

When I was in the army they told us there were no dumb questions. I have never been able to totally agree with that.

It am always perplexed when I see this question.

Top Bottom