• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • STEEL CORE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Fishers
    I used to go up there frequently, I have done it all. I have said F it, rather be tried by twelve than be carried by six, kept quiet and carried. Left it locked up at home, never liked that approach, and the all popular disassembled and locked in the trunk. Biggest life threat to me was the F ing traffic. Oak Park, Lincoln Park, do what had to be done and back home again to Indiana. I got held up buying chicken at Popeyes I think, cause their sales tax I believed was high, and saw some shady characters, but stayed away from the percieved bad areas. Good luck on your trip, let us know how it went. Its not like your going to Detroit, where there are no safe/safer areas period.

M9Hoosier

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 4, 2008
    NWI
    Some of you crack me up, Unless your on the south or west sides. your going to be ok. A gun in the trunk is useless to you so your better off leaving it at home. Enjoy your time and the food.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Do not take your gun to Chicago!!! They will use you as a example! I live 30 minutes from the hell hole, I would never take my gun there. Chicago is where freedom goes to die!!
    I take my gun into Chicago four times a week. It stays locked in the car while I am there, but I do have it for the trip there and back, plus if and when I need to go anywhere once back in IN.

If you do not exit your car with the loaded gun, they cannot make an example of you.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Some of you crack me up, Unless your on the south or west sides. your going to be ok. A gun in the trunk is useless to you so your better off leaving it at home. Enjoy your time and the food.
    Downtown has its fair share of crime. Plus how do you get into the city from IN without going through the South Side?

M9Hoosier

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 4, 2008
    NWI
    Downtown has its fair share of crime. Plus how do you get into the city from IN without going through the South Side?

Unless he plans on taking the side streets he will be on the interstate the entire time. Downtown does have its share of crime, but like anywhere else, situational awareness is key. Blend in and don't look like a tourist and you will be on your way to having a good time.

Butch627

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 3, 2012
    NWI
    Unless he plans on taking the side streets he will be on the interstate the entire time. Downtown does have its share of crime, but like anywhere else, situational awareness is key. Blend in and don't look like a tourist and you will be on your way to having a good time.

Though far from perfect the ability to have a loaded gun in the car legally is very comforting if you may have a fender bender , or car trouble while on the expressway. There was a story in the past few days about someone being beaten by locals after a traffic accident. If that motorcycle in your avatar broke down on the Ryan at night Ill bet you wished you had a way to protect yourself.

revance

Expert
    Rating - 88.9%
    8   1   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Zionsville
    I understand it does no good in the trunk, but I can have it while I am in the car. My brother recently got into an accident (stupid mistake on his part) and the other driver went crazy. He was kicking himself for not carrying when the person looked like they were going to bust his window while he prayed the cops would get there soon.

I simply avoid going without any time I don't legally have to. That is much more reliable than trying to guess when you might need it.

my question was simply to make sure my understanding of their laws was correct and get opinions on whether to leave it in the car or transport into the hotel. I'm not asking about protection while walking around downtown. I have no legal way to carry then, so it is irrelevant.

revance

Expert
    Rating - 88.9%
    8   1   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Zionsville
    Wow. I DID NOT know that laser sights are illegal there.

What are those crazies smoking? I don't like lasers, but how are they something that needs banned??? These idiots obviously learned everything they know about guns from the movies.

Valvestate

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2012
    NWI

Accidents happen and cars break down. When the shooting on the Ryan a year and a half ago or so at 89th happened, I was sitting on the shoulder at 87th with a busted radiator. Sounded like it was right in front of me. I was VERY on edge.

OneShotFOGE

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2013
    Lafayette, Indiana

I feel the same way reading this thread. I go to Chicago several times a year. I walk around Wrigleyville drunk off my ass and never have a problem. Dont be an idiot and you'll be fine. Its safe for the most part. Just stay away from the South Side.

sonofd

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    Valparaiso Indiana
    I unfortunately must go into Chicago (downtown). Five days a week for work. And, I work nights. I just keep mine in the glove compartment. Since I park in a secure, underground parking garage, it works out pretty nice since it's less than a block to walk from work to the garage.

Top Bottom