• Which caliber for coyotes?

• Total voters

sheepdog697

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Sep 2, 2015
    Cedar Lake
    as others have said i would take a hard look at the 224V if you dont mind spending $1/bullet its a very capable coyote round if you want to keep the fur

Max Volume

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 26, 2008
    da region Highland
    Took someone elses advice and bought a Savage 10 package in 223 with a cheap a** scope for the same purpose quite some time ago. First shots out of the box at 100 yards with factory American Eagle ammo looked like this. Never got the chance to use it for that though it will work great. Wouldn't hesitate to use one of my AR's that do the same or better.

Savagetarget.jpg
    [/URL]

Last edited:

Max Volume

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 26, 2008
    da region Highland
    A cap lock muzzle loader works great. Fifty cal patched ball leaves a .50 hole in and out. Drop instantly. Bow is rather difficult. Had 'em in with a fawn bleat but they make deer look slow and stupid.

IMG_4769_zpsxef4prrh.jpg

Last edited:

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    A cap lock muzzle loader works great. Fifty cal patched ball leaves a .50 hole in and out. Drop instantly. Bow is rather difficult. Had 'em in with a fawn bleat but they make deer look slow and stupid.

IMG_4769_zpsxef4prrh.jpg

And cap lock muzzleloaders are so easy to mount thermal's on, and shoot at unknown distances, and shoot multiple dogs when they come in in pairs.

Last edited:

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I shot one with a recurve, from the ground.........up hill..........42 yards.
    Was using "thermal vision" kinda sorta...........SOB spooked a doe I had crawled into position to shoot...........so I was really hot...... LOL

JonProphet

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    I read his post as the system is untested past 100 yards. If it were me, I’d try an existing setup at 200 yards before investing in a new one. I really like a 223 on coyotes. However, I’ll never say “Don’t buy an new gun”.

I'm very much against taking a round that is capable of 600 yards or more hunting in Indiana. .224, 308, 300WM, any of them. I prefer a round like 300 BLK. Even supersonic it looks like its dead at around 500 yards. Sub, its even better. Not sure what it will do to something as small as a coyote.

Further, if you (anyone, not just OP) haven't taken a shot beyond 100 yards, you have no business taking a shot over 100 yds. Just my opinion.

I understand everyone has different areas they hunt in, but an errant round can do some damage. Northern Indiana is a FLAT flat place and a round can travel......

-JD-

kolob10

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Nov 28, 2008
    Beautiful Southern Indiana
    I've used everything from a 22 lr as a kid to 308. My go to coyote rifle for the woods is a 22K Hornet. for open field calling, I prefer a 22-250. Use whatever you can shoot well considering range limitations. I have never shot a coyote with the 22-250 that didn't go down.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I'm very much against taking a round that is capable of 600 yards or more hunting in Indiana. .224, 308, 300WM, any of them. I prefer a round like 300 BLK. Even supersonic it looks like its dead at around 500 yards. Sub, its even better. Not sure what it will do to something as small as a coyote.

Further, if you (anyone, not just OP) haven't taken a shot beyond 100 yards, you have no business taking a shot over 100 yds. Just my opinion.

I understand everyone has different areas they hunt in, but an errant round can do some damage. Northern Indiana is a FLAT flat place and a round can travel......

-JD-

.223, .22-250, .243 and similar...........just fine for yotes and chucks if using varmint bullets.
    100 yard only practice................if you know your drop and range.............200 yards should be a gimme.

JonProphet

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    .223, .22-250, .243 and similar...........just fine for yotes and chucks if using varmint bullets.
    100 yard only practice................if you know your drop and range.............200 yards should be a gimme.

Imtalking about that "IF".

How many good ole boys zero a rifle at 50 and 100 yds and use "Kentucky Windage". Guess wrong and yer asking for trouble.

Better to use a shorter distance caliber and know it before taking long range shots.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Imtalking about that "IF".

How many good ole boys zero a rifle at 50 and 100 yds and use "Kentucky Windage". Guess wrong and yer asking for trouble.

Better to use a shorter distance caliber and know it before taking long range shots.

Coyotes bigger than chucks.

If all they have is a 100 yd range, just zero it a half inch or so high at 100.
    Hold center to 200

.223 w 55gr is half inch high at 100, 2" low at 200 and 11 low at 300.
    BTW...........that's pretty minor adjustment......... and it's "Tennessee elevation".

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Varmint hunters tend to be shooters/reloaders...........use proper bullets, and place them well.
    Fair number of folks talk about yote hunting. Some proly do it.
    Bet very few stick with it.
    You need some big ground, for multiple setups...........and other folks run them with dogs............aint no dumb ones left this time of the yr.
    Daytime calling............is a great way to burn time and gas.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Did she get hit with a bounced bullet or one that was fired high?
    What kind of bullet was it (caliber and construction)?
    Was she on the back end of a known shooting area (heightened risk)?

If you don't want it on your conscience then don't shoot any gun, as any bullet poses risk.

We were talking about varmint hunting. And when doing so anybody with half a brain, should be using varmint bullets.
    They are MUCH safer, as they often fail to even exit the animal, they are so frangible.
    Have seen the lead powder where they have hit the dirt and come apart.

Of course, not everybody out chasing Wile E has half a brain.

And Ft Wayne was according to USA Today, the dumbest city in America.
    Danger might be higher up there.

So drive to another county and hunt.

Top Bottom