• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Leggdpms

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 8, 2012
    Jeffersonville
    Aright I have a few questions for the coyote hunters. First question is when can I hunt them? As in time of day? Second question is what do you use to hunt them? As in bait, flash light and firearm? My buddy has some land here in southern Indiana and caught a few on his back porch this morning going through his garbag and eating his dogs food. That's a little to close for comfort for me.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    central indiana
    On public land there is an open season, & maybe hunting hour restrictions.
    On private land, with landowner permission, you can hunt 24/7 with just about anything.. Be nice & use enough gun to kill them quick..
    my choice is 22 k-hornet..

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    The DNR hunting regs are your friend in terms of legal hunting seasons on public land, etc. It also makes good mention of legal use of calls, etc.

Most folks like a pretty light and fast varmint round, like the 22-250, .223, .17HMR, etc. While they can be seen just about all hours of day, they are most typically nocturnal, so day break and just before dusk are good times. You can also hunt and night and use a light, or even use the light of a full moon to help you see and shoot.

Tobryan

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 6, 2013
    Lafayette
    Electronic calls are perfect every time, but fairly pricey. Stay away from the cheap ones though. No volume and terrible clarity. Hand calls work very well but take some time to learn. Plan on calling yotes in about one in seven outings. Bad calling will educate them. Scent, wind, movement and sound awareness is paramount. Stay at it, and your day will come. It is one hunting experience you'll never forget. Awesome time when it all comes together. Early morning and late evening are preferred. One man with a rifle and one with a shotgun...full choke and 00 Buck.

Leggdpms

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 8, 2012
    Jeffersonville
    Gotcha guys never hunted then before. Actually they are about 200-250 yards out now howling like crazy. I'll prolly be using my AR to hunt them with as that's the only caliber I have that will accurately shoot out to 200-300 yards and I'm going to bass pro in Clarksville tomorrow to check some calls out lol. What do you do with them when you kill them?

yote hunter

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 27, 2013
    Indiana

1. You can hunt all year round on private land with written permission 2. you have to go by DNR rules for hunting anything else 3. We use electronic calls Foxpro wildfire and Foxpro wildfire II (both with wigglers), no bait you will prob. never kill a yote over bait in the day time ? 4. My son-inlaw uses a 22-250 and I use a AR .223 55gr varment round and a 12ga pump 5. Play the wind just like deer hunting and don't move unless they can't see ya, yotes are very smart prob. the smartest animal you will ever hunt, they will try to circle down wind if they can, but some will come head on... "play the wind"!!!!!

Last edited:

Leggdpms

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 8, 2012
    Jeffersonville
    Buddy seen one yesterday as well he said within 50 yards or so.

BC67D288-CC97-46F7-B451-8AC71B9472E7.jpg

SteveM4A1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 3, 2013
    Rockport
    Buddy seen one yesterday as well he said within 50 yards or so.

BC67D288-CC97-46F7-B451-8AC71B9472E7.jpg

Looks like a chubby one!

Just make sure you read the regs and follow the continuously burning light at night rule. Electronic calls are fun but can be expensive. Diaphragm calls are cheap and can be used easily to make the sounds of an injured rabbit.

Leggdpms

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 8, 2012
    Jeffersonville
    Haha yeah I'm shooting on site for now own. Seen two walking a long in his back yard yesterday and fired twice with my colt 1911. They are becoming a problem and will hopefully be slowed down this weekend as I got my noveske sighted at 180 yards. Also believe one of them go ahold of his dog as it had to be taken to the animal hospital for bite marks and missing hair. Luckily he's a big boxer/pit bull.

hd96heritage

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 15, 2014
    Wheat-tucky
    went out hunting the this past sunday night in Knox. there was a pack of them very responsive to the mouth calls. they were playing with us, smart no doubt! very foggy night and couldn't get a visual on any but i'm telling you we would call and they would call back. went on for more than three hours. they didn't respond very well to my friend's fox pro tho. as we were leaving they started barking at us like they were taunting us. it was crazy. definitely got my heart started. they were never more than 100 yards away at most but couldn't ever get a visual through the fog. this was on farm land.

attachment.php

very new to coyote hunting as that was only my second time out but my system includes an AR15 with winchester varmint x rapid expansion polymer tip rounds with a red light for hunting at night. the light wont scare them off and makes them more visible as their eyes will glow and stand out. i have an eotech on my rifle but may switch out to a rifle scope at least 1-4x for this "mission" as it seems that more distant shots will be the likelier reality. public hunting starts Oct 15 and runs till March 15 i believe. private land hunting is year round. no time restrictions/24 hour hunting for both. must have basic hunting license for hunting any public or private land that's not your own and when hunting other's private land have them fill out a permission form. you can find those on dnr site or in the back of the IN hunting/trapping guide.

very smart to wind/scent. be smarter than the dog! happy hunting!

Last edited:

Lonnie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 17, 2010
    Hamilton county
    Sometimes I'm amazed at the replies I see when people ask questions. If a person is asking a question and you yourself don't know the correct answer , than why muddy the waters with untrue or misleading information??

There are no hunting hour restrictions on coyotes.
    They can be hunted 24/7 during open fur season.
    With landowner written permission they can be hunted 365, but outside the regular fur holding season you can not pocess them, you must bury , burn or dispose of them properly.
    All this information can be found on the IDNR website about Indiana hungting and trapping regulations.

I have have early morning at 1st light is a great time to catch them out looking for food etc. , although at certain times of the year you will see them out and about any time of the day or night.
    If you hunt them at night , try using a red light or red lens on your light , they are not as spooked with the red light as they are with a white light. Many times you can bring them right in using a call and a red light.
    Some guys I know bait them with road kill deer carcusses or dead hogs from a farmer. Stake them down and use cable or wire between stakes or they might get drug off out of site. Again visit these baited sites at 1st light and play the wind, setup on the down wind side. Camo and very little movement is a plus when hunting in the daylight.

I perfer a 22-250 for coyotes when taking long shots.
    For close up in the face graveyard dead kills I like the Winchester 3.5 inch #4 Buck , I shoot it through my Beneli Nove with a Dead Coyote choke tube. This set up allows me to kill them up to 65 yards. The #4 Buck is very compairable to higher priced DEAD COYOTE load made by HEVI SHOT. THE DC will run you around $35 for 10 rounds and the #$ Buck with run around $10 for 10 rounds.
    I think there is 57 T-shot pellets in the DC and 54 pellets in the #4 Buck , this is in the 3.5 inch shell , these pellets are close to a 23 caliber pellet.

Electronic or mouth calls can both be affective , do some research before you buy a electronic call , they are not all the same .

good luck , enjoy yourself

Nodonutz

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 12, 2014
    Alexandria
    Gotcha guys never hunted then before. Actually they are about 200-250 yards out now howling like crazy. I'll prolly be using my AR to hunt them with as that's the only caliber I have that will accurately shoot out to 200-300 yards and I'm going to bass pro in Clarksville tomorrow to check some calls out lol. What do you do with them when you kill them?
    Where I'm currently at (ND) there is a local guy who buys the whole dog. He doesn't want someone else screwing up the skinning/stretching. We hang 'em up, they freeze and then he buys them. Haven't been out yet this year, so I don't know what the going prices are. Here's a list of fur buyers I found online.... find a local and see what he prefers. I personally wouldn't want to hassle skinning them. They get pretty damn fluffy this time of the year and can have some nice pelts. First time in years I've been getting calls from hunters wanting to come onto our land to hunt. They're getting pretty thick out here.

Oppsss... here's the link I found: http://www.in.gov/dnr/fishwild/files/fw-Fur_Buyer_List.pdf

Last edited:
    Top Bottom