• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • clfergus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southeast Indy
    I have only been yote hunting a few times during the day and didn't have much luck. I received a Foxpro Inferno caller and a Mojo Critter for my birthday awhile back and am planning to try these out.

My gun is a Howa 1500 chambered in .223.

My questions are:

1. Would bulk PMC FMJ, 55 gr work ok? Seems to shoot well from my gun.
    2. Night hunting, do you need a colored light on the gun as well as a scanning light? I see these guys using that expensive Foxpro scanning light and wonder what I would need to do it with a buddy at night. How cheap can I get the right lights?
    3. Where do you leave the bodies?

Thanks

alclark2

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2014
    Muncie
    I also run vmax. Usually a small entry, expends energy, no exit.
    I like the red LED lights for scanning and green for shooting. I've watched video of people running all kinds of lights. I wouldn't overthink this.
    Sit still, play the wind, scan slowly. Some people run their call loud. Some soft. Some run it for 45 minutes non stop. Some play short sequences. Sometime they come running in, sometimes they hang up 300-400 yards back and won't commit. Sometimes they sneak in behind you and you never knew they were there.
    Leave the bodies where people won't see them. Antis love to make a big fuss about carcasses.
    Again, just get out and run that caller. Don't overthink it.

diver dan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    DeMotte
    If you want, look up fur buyers in INDIANA, you will get a few bucks for hide,or call a taxadermist he might buy hides cheap.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    I have only been yote hunting a few times during the day and didn't have much luck. I received a Foxpro Inferno caller and a Mojo Critter for my birthday awhile back and am planning to try these out.

My gun is a Howa 1500 chambered in .223.

My questions are:

1. Would bulk PMC FMJ, 55 gr work ok? Seems to shoot well from my gun.
    2. Night hunting, do you need a colored light on the gun as well as a scanning light? I see these guys using that expensive Foxpro scanning light and wonder what I would need to do it with a buddy at night. How cheap can I get the right lights?
    3. Where do you leave the bodies?

Thanks

Ive killed many yotes with 55gr FMJ. Are they idea? No sir, will they do the job? Yes sir.

Lights I dont know about.

I leave the bodies where I find them. I have a buddy who traps, so I call him from the field, and if he wants them bad enough to pick them up I bring them up for him. 9 times out of 10, its not worth his gas to pick them up. If he is coming out anyways, he will have me bring them to the house.

w2k0311

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Wanamaker
    So every year now as soon as the smoke pole season is out, I am itching to get out for some yotes. This year as with the past few years running, the first sit is always a folly. After figuring out my first time out by myself would probably be my last, the same thing happens again year after year. After having what I thought to be a very good set up after walking to the field with the wind in my face, in sit. My partner is 10 yards behind me scanning the 6 with my 12 ga. 3 min into the calling I hear BLAAAAAMMMOOO!! A huge red yote rolled by me about 3' from my tree. Partner said he was haulin for the decoy when he spotted something a came to a stop, heckles went up, and we was headin for my tree!!!! Needless to say we only got one that morning, but its always great to have somebody watching your six if you set up on a field edge with dense woods. Never know where they may come from

Top Bottom