• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    central indiana
    It's a reason to own multiple guns.. 30-06 might be legal for coyote, but not appropriate for the field you get to hunt..
    if you reload you can make varmit specific loads that can reduce the risk of over penetration & the bullet going on..

I've made up .308 loads using speer 110 SP rounds..

bonzaiberger

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Milan
    You can coyotes in Indiana with anything except a silencer. You can use night vision and a machine gun if you want.

This is what I use, whats wrong with that:dunno:
    At least I would if I had a machine gun anyway:D
    I've used everything from a .22 rimfire to a 12ga to a .308, it just depended on the situation, and if I had a .50BMG I would use it too if the area was good for it. I hate coyote's and I shoot them every chance I get! Hmm, I think I'll go out this weekend:biggun: BTW, there is no such thing as overkill...it's just killed. :twocents:

bonzaiberger

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Milan
    I should have stated this just to be clear, my weapon of choice is a Savage .223 with a moly coated 55gr Vmax bullet. Which could be called overkill I guess, but it seems to get the job done.

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    117   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    here is my new yoto gun

DPMS LR-308AP4 with ATN Aries MK390 Paladin Night Vision.....will be loadin' V-MAX 110gr @3200fps...:D

wchf0n.jpg

rookie0014

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 21, 2009
    kokomo
    It's a reason to own multiple guns.. 30-06 might be legal for coyote, but not appropriate for the field you get to hunt..
    if you reload you can make varmit specific loads that can reduce the risk of over penetration & the bullet going on..

I've made up .308 loads using speer 110 SP rounds..

I have to agree if u reload the choices are endless. I load my own for everything i got. I use my 22-250 with 50gr vmax but most of the time i still take my 25-06 with 75gr vmax or 85gr noslers. I tried the 87gr tnt's and they just make a mess when u hit them. So i have to say use what ever u want but use some sense about it.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 30, 2011
    I know this is a "tailend post" but since season is still in I'll go ahead and throw this out there. First of all, we all want a reason to use our "big" guns. For me its a .308 Savage with a 6x26x50 scope. However, this is not an ideal round if you consider the whole picture or you are going to sell the pelts. Also if you want to get multiple kills (more than 2) in the same area on the same morning or evening.

First of all coyotes have extremely sensitive hearing. They can hear that bullet crack (breaking the sound barrier) for ten miles. If they are close, they are alerted to the fact that someone is after them. Most of them know what a gun shot is by now and react to it by bugging out (the ones you don't see).

On a round that's going 2400+ fps at the muzzle, it's still "cracking" the sound barrier out at 1500 yards. They hear it and get more wary and many times leave, before you see them. Of course the dog you shoot won't hear it, because he is dead before the sound gets to him. I'm talking about the other dogs that he may be with.

If you're "calling them in" a .22LR, subsonic round will give you:

(1) No bullet crack at the muzzle or down range, besides the ignition bang, which is quieter.
    (2) Opportunity for dozens of follow up shots on other dogs who are not spooked by the initial take down shot.
    (3) Cheaper to shoot.
    (4) Less damage to the pelts.
    (5) Subsonic soft tip round flattens out on contact with bone and muscle, much the same as a hollowpoint.
    (6) more kills in a single area, everything else being equal.

You can also use .22LR HP hyper sonic round if target range is farther out because bullet slows and doesn't carry the crack down range to the target. However, the crack can still be heard, it just sounds distant.

A .22WMR is what I use at +100 yds (instead of my .308, .556, .30-30, etc.), sighted in, point blank at 125 yrds, 40 grn soft-tip HP with a 6x24x50 Barska Varmit Scope. I use a Marlin .22LR with sub-sonic round if I'm within den range, 30-75 yrds. Just sayin'.... Your mileage may vary.

Of course if you just want to shoot some dogs with your big gun, more power to ya! Have fun!

Dss21

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 15, 2009
    Subsonic round will give you : (7) the opportunity to track a bleeding wounded dog several hundered yards through the weeds and briars.

Jeffrey

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    May 10, 2009
    Central Indiana
    I agree with the fact that a .22lr may be able to take coyotes, as I am sure many people have done it. I know that on more than one occasion though, I have had shots on second coyotes within minutes/seconds of the first with a .17 remington. Far from a big boomer, but at around 4000fps, still has a crack to it. It just has not seemed to phase them too much, and its almost like the other coyotes come back looking to see what happened to their friends. I am sure I have had some bug out due to the report of the rifle, but at the same time have had others who don't seem to mind. Could have something to do with how much shooting is done in the area by neighbors as well.:twocents: Happy Hunting

Last edited:
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 30, 2011
    Subsonic round will give you : (7) the opportunity to track a bleeding wounded dog several hundered yards through the weeds and briars.

I agree if your shot is to the body of the animal. A head shot at 35 -75 yds., they drop like a rock and not difficult at all to do. Plus, no pelt damage.

Top Bottom