• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • FCS-04

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 27, 2013
    Bloomfield
    Anyone else heading out at the end of the week? I've got a few spots lined up, seems like it will be an ok season, between camping in the summer and my game cams I've seen a decent amount of activity.

tmschuller

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    Grant county
    I am going to... finally getting close to me and going to set out some bait and have both rifles sighted and ready.. hear them around 9pm and early morning.. 4-5 am. only have gone a couple of times but loved it. (Thanks Jarod).. I am ready!

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    I've only killed one recently... I wouldn't say I'm going coyote hunting this coming week but I'll be out for some turkeys and if I see some coyotes they will be dead. I like hunting them a bit more when it's cold or I'm just bored. They come in a lot better though when it's cold, that and the coat is nice. I'll hit 'em hard in november during the waterfowl break, during deer season, and in January till it warms up.

Let us know how you do though, it's very rewarding to kill some coyotes!

FCS-04

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 27, 2013
    Bloomfield
    Got one in Friday morning after calling for about 10 minutes. He popped into the field, stopped, looked behind him, jumped about 10 foot into the air and bolted off. No idea what the hell happened never seen anything like it, almost like he got stung by a bee or something.
    Went out last night but only got to call for about 5 minutes before it was too dark, ran into a couple people deer hunting and didn't want to ruin their hunts.

JStang314

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 8, 2011
    I had one in my front yard this morning. Drew my pistol but knew if just be wasting ammo. 50 yards with a glock 23 is out of my range. Went in to get the Rifle and he was gone. Would've loved to take him out. I really don't want them around.

roscott

Master
    Rating - 97.6%
    40   1   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    We have a problem with coyotes out at the farm, and I have taken a couple, but they sure are tough to hunt. We've got an electric call, but it's not the best and we rarely seem to call them in.

Anyone have good tips and/or tactics for yote hunting?

SMiller

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    Hamilton Co.
    We have a problem with coyotes out at the farm, and I have taken a couple, but they sure are tough to hunt. We've got an electric call, but it's not the best and we rarely seem to call them in.

I don't go looking for them but I do keep my M4 damn close so I can quickly grab it and do some damage.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia

We've identified two den locations on our farm, primarily through the use of trail cameras. The female I killed a few weeks ago was leaving one of the den locations. I try to have a rifle handy any time we are out on the farm and the few I've killed have simply been right place/right time opportunities.

MRP2003

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Greenwood
    I have a decent electric call but have not had any success in calling coyotes. Mainly have seen them during bow season which I have been successful calling them in with just my mouth but have not taken a rifle with me as I thought it was illegal to hunt deer with a bow and have any rifle with you even if trying to hunt coyotes at the same time. I will bring my rifle with me next time I am on the farm that I hunt that has several coyotes running around.

roscott

Master
    Rating - 97.6%
    40   1   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    I don't go looking for them but I do keep my M4 damn close so I can quickly grab it and do some damage.

We've identified two den locations on our farm, primarily through the use of trail cameras. The female I killed a few weeks ago was leaving one of the den locations. I try to have a rifle handy any time we are out on the farm and the few I've killed have simply been right place/right time opportunities.

Same here. I seem to have more luck just carrying a rifle around when I'm out at the farm, and simply smoke 'em when I see em. But the YouTube videos make calling them on look so easy!!

SteveM4A1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 3, 2013
    Rockport
    Interesting some of you guys are having a hard time with the electric calls. They generally work pretty good down here for me. You'll even get some foxes come in on the call. Curious to know what calls you are using and what rotation?

w_ADAM_d88

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    Greenfield
    Had 2 together cross the road in front of me around 05:00 this morning. I see at least 1 a week out in/around Greenfield, and can hear them sometime at night when we're sleeping with the windows open.

infinititech

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 21, 2011
    They are running crazy in Putnam county near Leiber have chased them out of the front field 100 yards from the house 3 times in the last week. Usually opening morning of firearms deer season we see them quite a bit. So if anyone is looking there are plenty in that area

roscott

Master
    Rating - 97.6%
    40   1   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    Stevem4a1, we have a Fox brand (IIRC) electric call, and a cheap electric rabbit-looking decoy that moves slightly. I'm not terribly impressed with either. The call doesn't seem to reach out very far, and any wind at all seems to drown it out any further than about 200 yards.

Maybe better equipment is needed?

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Danville
    I've got a Fox call and a really neat moving decoy, but I've not had any luck, either. Of course, I don't have much experience and have only hunted public land. I set up a game camera near a decoy at Morgan Monroe once and we apparently called one in, because we got some nice pics. We never saw her, though, which is really frustrating because we had a good line of sight right to where she got her picture taken!

Mostly, I've tried a small piece of public land near the Cecil M. Harden Reservoir dam. I've seen plenty of scat, but haven't successfully called one in. I get nervous out there during deer firearms season, though, so I'm not sure if I'll try it there, or not. The terrain has some great sight lines for shots, though, based upon the location of the scat finds.

I'm going to give this a try sometime here in the next month or so, hopefully. It is a Site Mark Photon XT 4.6 x 42 digital night vision scope. I've just toyed around with it today, but it looks like it should do well out to about 100 yards or so, until I get a brighter illuminator.

20151024_103502_zpslsmxlkka.jpg

Top Bottom