• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • billcollector

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 24, 2012
    NW Indiana
    Looking for help. I am looking at getting a new Coyote shotgun. Looking at 870 Tactical as of now but not sold due to recent horror stories about Remington guns. Would love Benelli M4 but budget doesn't support it. Will be shooting Buckshot primarily. Not a huge Mossberg fan either.

Iroquois

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2011
    Have heard Stories about mod.700 ....not 870 . 700 has a special trigger setup that can be
    problematic. A lot of people have 870s . Never heard a complaint about them.
    A goose setup with extra full choke and no mag plug should work. There's even some special
    Ammo out there.....

BoilerWes

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 2, 2010
    Pendleton
    I would say can't go wrong with an 870 as there are so many after market parts and upgrades you can put on it if your intended use changes.

If an auto-loader is more your style, I would not hesitate to get a CZ 712 special purpose. I have read multiple reviews on them and several side by side comparisons where they out performed the Mossberg 930. I nearly bought one, but stumbled across a never fired Beretta 390 and the price was right :)

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Any shotgun will do but I would shy away from a tatical gun with extended mag cause it is extra weight and frankly the new ones seem to rattle a little like a mossburg.

Normally you will get off 1 good shot and maybe a couple of followups with a shotgun max. I think you should look for a used 870 wingmaster. You can make them into anything you want. You can't take an express or tatical and make it into a blued reciever wingmaster.

My setup (which I think works pretty well) is a 3 inch 870 wingmaster with a full choke barrrel 30 inches long. I tapped the top adding the weaver rail with a long eye relief 4 power scope but used to use a cheap red dot. A nice red dot would work better than the scope. Don't buy a cheap red dot.. I also use lead BB's or BBB and sometimes #4 buck lead. In my full choke the lead groups very well but plated shot opens up. I think a modified choke would group the platted stuff better. (pattern the gun often) I also have a white gun cover if the snow is on the ground.

I use 2 3/4 inch shells only except for a few shells of 3 inch #4 i have left. Check you scope/red dot anytime the barrel nut goes loose or you change it out as right or left patterns can occur and when they are in close can cause missed shots.

I am often the caller or close to the the decoy with a hunting partner is ambush higher with a rifle. Most shots have been dead on less that 30 yards and moving slow to fast. At night we have more come in near the caller.

nickman54

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2012
    Baikal

Look for the Russian made Baikal 435. I think that is the model. I have one for coyotes. It has a 26" barrel and comes with extra choke tubes and it has a chromed bolt. Its also a autoloader. I have taken coyotes with a .70 choke and 4 buck out to fifty yards. The gun only costs around 400 and eats any ammo you can throw at it.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    The 700 horror story is BS. New Rem stuff has shown to be a little lacking at times in QC.
    Get a pre cerberus 870 express and shoot the crap out of it.

I got a used one, first run Supermag Express turkey model (3.5"), all covered in camo tape (2 hrs to clean it up). Underneath it was like new. $215 plus a can of Gunscrubber and burning some elbow grease. What a slimy mess that was.

Scored a beater 1100 magnum for around 300. Still waiting on Gunkote from Brownells to make it look like new.

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    Remington 870s are one of the best damn pump shotguns ever built, and are more than capable of knocking down a coyote. If possible, buy a Wingmaster or Police. The trigger guard will be metal rather than plastic, and overall fit / finish will be better.

Bang-bang

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    Indy/Homeplace/Carmel
    Stoeger makes a great line of shotguns!! I only had 1 very minor problem , and the customer service was A+. The prices are affordable too. Unrated IMO, I've abused mine a bit, very high round count. Allowed others to try mine and they were sold on it.

bonzaiberger

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Milan
    I love my 870! I use this for deer, turkey coyote, and whatever else needs shot. It's an 870 express mag with a side saddle, thumbhole stock and halo sight. I like a screw in choke and short barrel for my needs.
    870.jpg

870left.jpg

Top Bottom