• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • n9iui

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 4, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I bought some surplus 7.62x25 ammo at Bradis today and noticed cracks in the case neck. I examined only the top two layers in the box. Out of 14 rounds, 6 are cracked near or through the marks where the neck is staked to the bullet. I can't tell from the print on the box where the ammo was made.

7.62mmnabcje
    pistoletowe
    --70szt.--

I've never seen these cracks in any other ammo I've ever seen, but then I have just recently started buying surplus ammo.
    Have any of you seen this before? I can't imagine this is normal?! I'm wondering if I need to return the ammo.
    I'd upload a photo but I'm not sure how to do it.

builder_one

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2010
    I'm pretty well certain from your description that the ammo you bought is Polish. I've bought a ton of it and seen many rounds that had a cracked neck near where the staking marks were (perhaps the cases were improperly annealed or it's the style of crimp?), either way they all fired perfectly fine and safely from my Tokarev. FYI, most of the non-cracked loaded ammo will have a split neck after it has been fired.

Last edited:
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 19, 2009
    Central Indiana
    Thats why you paid 9~ cents a round ;)

The cracks are (in this instance) mainly cosmetic and it should be safe to fire. I sent a few hundred thru my CZ and TT

They'll cycle. In my younger days I've been known to disregard a slight crack in the case neck of surplus ammo - it was always the Polish stuff that had them. If they're not cracked before you shoot them, they certainly will be after you fire them.

I have slightly more regard for my extremities these days - and don't have a CZ52 to shoot, either.

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    Have never seen or had an issue with cracked neck ammo, but I do sort it all out. The non-cracked stuff goes into a sealed ammo can for later "usage" (Semper Paratus Stockpile or SPS), the cracked stuff and heavily discolored stuff goes into the shoot it on Sunday 'cause I don't like watching football all day pile. :D

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    It sounds like Polish, that particular issue has been known for several years and apparently does not cause any problem other than consternation.

djl02

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 18, 2009
    Indiana
    Years ago I had a friend that got his arm blow off because of a faulty load.Possibly a piece of brass case lying in the barrel.I'm not sure. Just know the round was stuck in the barrel and the next round blow the reciever up and blow his arm off . I wouldnt shoot any round that was questionable. But thats just me.

SKSnut

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    ran into the same thing myself once. it shoots fine, no worries. the chamber completely surrounds the case, it will shhot just fine.

christman

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 27, 2010
    Terra Haute
    I love Bradis, but I will never EVER buy Yugo 7.62 stripper ammo in their green crates again. EVER. Junkiest stuff I have ever used. FTF every 10 rounds on 3 separate ak's that never FTF. Price was average too, so it wasn't like I thought I was getting a steal. Oh well. They rock on everything else.

Top Bottom