• ...and so much more!
  • gvsugod

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   1
    Mar 19, 2012
    SW Indianapolis
    So it was a weird night of fishing.

Caught alot of sunfish on poppers and spinners, first time I have ever had it happen in that frequency. One small largemouth on said popper. But to start the night, third cast, I caught a decent little crappie. I am fishing in my apartment complex fishing pond, and its loaded, sunfish, small and largemouth, cats, and now crappie.

With this revelation, I decided I want to eat crappie. What is a good set up for them? I am shore fishing and have never really tried fishing specifically for crappie before.

Thanks!

whackmaster66

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 3, 2011
    Brownsburg
    I use a Ultra light spinning setup with 6lb line and a 7foot rod... As far as lures goes and what i use is 1/8oz jig heads with double tails or single curly tail jigs tipped with a Minnow which is deadly and another jig that works good is a Panfish or Bass Assassin.. Hope this helps I catch alot of Crappies using these setups..

billcollector

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 24, 2012
    NW Indiana
    Usually a jig tipped with minnow on bobber works if they are not active but i will also use beatle spins and mep in line spinners (blue gill will also hit).

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    Anything that mimics a minnow will work on crappie at one time or another. Muddler Minnow on a fly rod works for me occasionally.

I just has to be above the fish. Distance above will depend on the clarity of the water. They won't go down usually to the bait.

.356luger

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 25, 2010
    martinsville
    Try a "bitsy minnow" I destroy bluegill with them they are from strike king. Available at Walmart for a couple bucks havent been in crappie waters yet this year but I imagine tey will do just as good on them.

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    I always used a small spinner with a white jig with a red dot on it. Crappie tore those up.

Finding out where they like to school is the most important part of catching them. The lake I used to fish had a point at the entrance of a small cove where they liked to school. If you wanted to catch crappie, that's where you went.

Modhydro

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 14, 2009
    Live minnows are great as live bait on a pencil bobber.

Beetle spins work well for ultralight casting.

My favorite though is a rubber minnow hooked through the head on my flyrod. It works especially well when they are hitting very light.

I caught around 40 last night on our pond with most in the 8-10 range. I wound up getting this one as a nice surprise. It was an honest 15 1/2" long and pulled the kayak around like you wouldn't believe!

DSC08710.jpg

DSC08712.jpg

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    ...My favorite though is a rubber minnow hooked through the head on my flyrod. It works especially well when they are hitting very light.

I caught around 40 last night on our pond with most in the 8-10 range. I wound up getting this one as a nice surprise. It was an honest 15 1/2" long and pulled the kayak around like you wouldn't believe!

Now that sounds like big time fun. Got any more details on your bait, hook, tippet, rigging? How does it cast?

Gibster

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2012
    Boone County
    panfish & crappie 4/13/12

Fished 4 acre pond 4/13/12...5 nice gills over 8 inches...2 crappie over 9 inches...one bass about 10 inches in about 1 hour from 75 feet of shoreline.

All on same lure that .356luger mentioned previously--- Strike King - Bitsy Minnow.

Very clear water at 60 degrees so now wonder bass were slow. Clouds had moved in an hour before.

A good afternoon. :)

Modhydro

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 14, 2009
    flyrod crappie

My rig is pretty simple. It is a generic Fenwick kit flyrod I built as a kid around 30 years ago. I use plain old level floating line with about 6' of 4# leader. I use a #4 hook and simply go through the head of a silver rubber minnow. It casts about the same as a big popper. If you twitch the rod tip the minnow will dart around nicely and get plenty of hits. If they aren't hitting hard just drag it slowly so you can feel the light strike.

If that doesn't work switch to a rubber spider and clobber the bluegill.

Hope that helps. Nothing fancy by any means, but a lot of fun!

sampo

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 27, 2012
    Owen County
    An ultra-light rod, open-faced reel, 6lb. test, slip-bobber to ajust to your desired depth is always good. and a long hook I think a #3. bait would be minnows or worms, both work great. Have fun fishin':hooked:

gvsugod

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   1
    Mar 19, 2012
    SW Indianapolis
    Crappie were biting tonight. On anything I put in the water. To bad the biggest one was about 4 inches. I tossed them all back to get bigger for when I am a) fishing for them and b) hungry

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    thatjimboguy
    Top Bottom