• ...and so much more!
  • Bowman78

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 12, 2010
    Camby
    Registered

There is no such thing here in Indiana yet...... Typical false stories that get spread when panic sets in!!!

KoopaKGB

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 99%
    99   1   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    South Bend
    I've had more then a few military buddies that also never purchased a single gun thru FFL simply because they dont want their names on file anywhere. I've also seen folks at gunshows wear gloves when handling firearms if only to keep their prints off of any guns they handle, I call both of these actions paranoid. But to each their own... Regardless if anybody's name is found on a 4473 the government cant take/steal guns they cant physically find or prove that I still possess them. Even if I bought a gun yesterday and the ban is tomorrow, the government couldn't prove that I still owned said guns. That seems to be the running joke here with all these boating accidents.

reedo

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    Eve though guns in Indiana are not registered, I have seen people recently at gun shows wanting to purchaser only from "person to person" and willing to pay higher prices. This is absolutely insane. But, why break the news to them-let capitalism prevail...lol:rockwoot:

Booya

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Aug 26, 2010
    Fort Fun
    Neither will handguns, shotguns, muzzle loaders, slingshots... :dunno: At least not in this state.

I never really understood this type of comment? I know we don't "register" our firearms per se, but everything you've purchased through an FFL or filled out a 4473 for is essentially "registered" to you. Maybe the verbiage is incorrect or register isn't the right word, but I think we all know what people mean when they say this.

When a gun is found to have been used in a crime they trace it back the same way they would trace a "registered" gun for the most part.....

Am I wrong here?

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    When a gun is found to have been used in a crime they trace it back the same way they would trace a "registered" gun for the most part.....

Am I wrong here?

Yes, you are. As an example, I had a prosecutor ask me to do a "trace" on a pistol used in a robbery. The only information the ATF had was the retail shop it was shipped to in the mid 1990s. Not even the first customer is recorded. If I had wanted to pursue it further, I would have had to contact an out of state gun shop and try to get the information out of their bound book as to the first purchaser, then tried to go through the entire chain of owners.

Burglary victims often don't know their serial numbers on their firearms, and if they don't remember what store they bought them at so they can return to that store and try to get the information, I have no way to find the serial number for them.

Quite a bit different than, say, a motor vehicle which is registered. I can easily follow the title history or find a VIN for you.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I mentioned to my buddy a few weeks back that once a ban went into effect registration would follow, and after that confiscation.
    From another thread https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...ou_must_watch_this_video_and_take_action.html

Is that what happened with fully automatic weapons in the US? They've been registered for, what, about 3 decades now? Any hint of confiscation? What about SBRs, silencers, etc? Any confiscation?

I'm not for a registry in the slightest, but I often see people saying that registration leads to confiscation. They'll cite 1930s Germany in an instant, but ignore our own history in our own country.

KoopaKGB

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 99%
    99   1   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    South Bend
    Is that what happened with fully automatic weapons in the US? They've been registered for, what, about 3 decades now? Any hint of confiscation? What about SBRs, silencers, etc? Any confiscation?

I'm not for a registry in the slightest, but I often see people saying that registration leads to confiscation. They'll cite 1930s Germany in an instant, but ignore our own history in our own country.

The idea of a registry of all the gun owners is a black flag to me. It reminds me of learning about the the McCarthy era and "communist" list of names who were either communist themselves or just supporters. And they were vilified for it. Granted I’m sure we can agree capitalism is great. But being on that list meant you were an enemy to the state and to America. Lost your job, broke up your family life, made your entire community despise you. I don’t like the idea that I’m on a list of gun owners. I think that very notion flies against the face of freedom. Because really registration IS the final line before confiscation. Because now you can’t claim you sold/traded/lost all of your guns in a boating accident or some other way IF the government decides that you shouldn’t own any weapons for whatever reason they choose. That makes the registration system dangerous to Americans in my mind. At least to our freedom.

Its not the matter that our NFA items hasnt been taken yet, its the idea that now there is a bonafide list of ALL GUNS and ALL GUN OWNERS in America. Which means that at ANY time the gov could demand those guns from you and you would have to comply. Right now without a registry the government could demand you hand your guns over but theres really no proof you have said guns anymore. An old 4473 is only going to be proof that you bought it at one time, but with a registration THAT would be proof of where that gun is right now. Of course they wouldn't be able to collect everybodys, because lots of folks probably would not go willfully into the night. And now all of a sudden people who were once law abiding gun owners become criminals/terrorists overnight for not complying with whatever BS law that is enacted.

Last edited:

Booya

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Aug 26, 2010
    Fort Fun
    Yes, you are. As an example, I had a prosecutor ask me to do a "trace" on a pistol used in a robbery. The only information the ATF had was the retail shop it was shipped to in the mid 1990s. Not even the first customer is recorded. If I had wanted to pursue it further, I would have had to contact an out of state gun shop and try to get the information out of their bound book as to the first purchaser, then tried to go through the entire chain of owners.

Burglary victims often don't know their serial numbers on their firearms, and if they don't remember what store they bought them at so they can return to that store and try to get the information, I have no way to find the serial number for them.

Quite a bit different than, say, a motor vehicle which is registered. I can easily follow the title history or find a VIN for you.

OK, so your example paints a poor picture, but shouldn't the first store it was shipped to have had the first customer (at least) listed. everything in the bound book should tell you everything you need to know. In theory, the gun should be "traceable" all the way up to a personal sale, should it not?

Magnum

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 27, 2011
    North Indy
    So let's say that the ATF came knocking about a gun you purchased and your response is "Well I sold it to Mr. Blue," could the ATF make the claim that in not using an FFL transfer to sell your pistol you became a straw buying, and by your own admission you are a felon? And possibly incarcerate you? I know we're talking about an Orwellian scenario here, but let's just say hypothetically, is this even possible?

Top Bottom