• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DeanSports

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 23, 2014
    Columbus
    I spoke with someone around a year ago about making parts with a CNC. At the time we were talking about making lower receivers with a CNC.

We got into the conversation of making parts other than lower receivers and how we would go about that. The gentleman mentioned there is a process or a company that you send them the part, they put it in some machine that "maps" it out. And the CNC can now create this part.

For the life of me I cannot remember who it was that I was speaking with and I no longer work at that place of employment so I cant even get a hold of him.

I am no longer interested in making the lowers. They are a dime a dozen now. I am thinking about having a company making some hard to get parts for rifles other than AR platform by "mapping" and recreating the parts.

I'm just in the thought process of this idea so don't be too harsh on me.

Is any of this possible? Or is the guy I was talking to an idiot?

Sorry if my terminology is off, I am not to familiar with this process.

Thanks in advance.

MontereyC6

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 16, 2008
    Greenwood
    A coordinare measuring machine or CMM? That is one technology that has been around for awhile that will let you do this.

romack991

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 27, 2012
    Yeah, look up 3d laser scanning. It's an easy way to reverse engineer a part. There are a lot of service companies that offer it. That will get you a mapping of the actual pay you have. Then you can work with that scan to 3d print or CNC machine it. Scanning will also include any imperfections from the part you scan. It's typical to use the scan and then based off that data, you create a solid model in a CAD package so that you have correct geometry to manufacture to.

You can also use CT scanning but laser is cheaper and works better for most parts.

DeanSports

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 23, 2014
    Columbus
    Awesome guys, thank you that is exactly what I am looking for.

Do you guys happen to know what kind of price this would have on it? Just to get it measured?

Top Bottom