• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Roncho

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    Reading Evan's post about his conversation with the clerk while trying to get his handgun permit laminated, it got me to thinking. How often do you see references to permit holders committing crimes? I browse the Indy Star everyday, and I read some of the articles folks post here, and I can't recall ever seeing that a person with a permit was arrested for an armed robbery, assault, murder, etc. For those of you that are more well read than I, have you ever seen anything like this? Or had conversations with LEOs about this subject? I think it's pretty obvious that permit holders are a fairly law-abiding bunch, but just wondered if there were any stats out there to back it up.

Lars

Rifleman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    Cedar Creek, TX
    I think the average citizen is four times more likely to be arrested for criminal behavior than a citizen with a license to carry a handgun.

I don't remember where I read the statistics, but they are posted somewhere on this site...... The math wasn't completely accurate because some of the numbers aren't available to work off of.

bigcraig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indy
    You will be hard pressed to get the actual info for this, but I agree with W9ZEB, permit holders are more likely to obey the law.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I know Texas and Florida keep stats. I've never seen stats for Indiana.

Professionally I have represented a few individuals with LTCH, but with the exception of one case, the crimes had nothing to do with misuse of a firearm.

heartless

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 6, 2008
    my uncle is a attorney! actually it wouldnt be mentioned unless it was a gun crime or a violent crime, - if say you was arested for public intox as example and u had your firearm taken u would still have your permit unless convicted of a fellony and would get your firearm returned if only recieving a misterminor.... with out ever had lost your permit.... the fact is many LTCH holders get introuble every day... unless its a (felony conviction) (not just a charge) or a violent crime you will not loose your permit and will only have the firearm you posess at that moment taken..... my uncle told me sum other stuff but i forgot, thought this was the basics...lol

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    According to the article :
    Sun-Sentinal said:
    According to statistics kept by the Cato Institute, a libertarian think tank, police drug raids have resulted in 42 deaths of innocents, 24 deaths and injuries of police officers, and 22 deaths of nonviolent drug suspects since 1985.
    Looking at those numbers it seems like honest citizens are TWICE as likely to be killed as either police or criminals in these types of Police actions. To me that seems irresponsible. I'm a supporter of our police, of swift justice, but this makes me wonder if this type of enforcement is just reckless.

rkba_net

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    About 0.2% - 0.3% of Indiana permits are revoked each year, there is no breakdown on how many involved gun crimes...

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    About 0.2% - 0.3% of Indiana permits are revoked each year, there is no breakdown on how many involved gun crimes...

Correct that there is no breakdown. When I called ISP Firearms Licensing last December to ask about stats for the last four years, I was told numbers that broke down to roughly 6% of the adult, non-felon population of Indiana hold LTCs and of those, over the four year period, roughly two of every thousand had a revoked permit over the entire four years, or on average, five of every 10,000 are revoked each year.

Hope that helps.

Blessings,
    B

RF7126

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2008
    West-Central Indiana
    I did a research paper on this in college and the stats were similar to the .2 or .3% posted above. When you include an overall national population it drops to something like .01%. As mentioned though, it was much harder to find info on non-violent crimes. This was mostly geared toward violent offenses or felonies.

Top Bottom