• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • yournamehere

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2013
    Literally 10's of thousands of .223 match bullets loaded over 15 years of competition. 52 grain, 69 grain, 75/77 grain. NEVER crimped a single one. I do not crimp my 55 gr soft point hunting bullets even though they have a cannelure. Always used a proper powder that fills the case so you cannot get bullet setback. Full length sized every one.

A problem with range brass can occur if the guy that loaded it before you didn't know what he is doing. Some dies will allow you to push the shoulder back way too far before it bottoms on the shell holder. When fired, that brass starts stretching about 5/8 inch up from the base. This thin spot decays pretty quickly, and when it breaks during firing, your extractor pulls out what looks like a .380 case, and the body and the shoulder stays in the chamber.
    This. I saw a competitor at a match at Hillside a few weeks back have a case seperate like this. I am in porcess at the moment of loading 4K of 55gr Hornady for short range and plinking. No crimp. None on my 69 SMK as well. Check out the Enos forums for the most info on 223 reloading. Best place on the web IMO. AR15 has good info as well but Enos is the best place to find more info than you can go thru in a day. My testing shows no crimp is more accurate as well.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    florez30
    Top Bottom