• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BKExpress

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 24, 2011
    Gaston, IN
    I am wanting to buy a crossbow for deer hunting next year. What's a good bow for the money? Best place to buy? Any guidance is appreciated. ADD has kicked in again so I need to fill a void. LOL:rockwoot:

cschwanz

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Better place to put this may be the "Outdoor" section. Lots of advice there on crossbows. Ten Point is one of the leaders of the pack for quality.

Willie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Warrick County
    Not sure how much money that you are willing to invest.

I use and hunt with TenPoints and favor them. They make crossbows from $419 to $2,000.. Every one of them will kill deer.

For a beginner bow I'd look at TenPoints "economy" bows that are labeled Wicked Ridge. Be sure and get a cocking device on it or a rope cocking aid.

http://www.tenpointcrossbows.com/shop/shopdisplaycategories.asp?id=73&cat=Crossbows

My next bow (soon) will be the TenPoint Stealth SS.. I fell in love with it at the ATA Show in Louisville a couple weeks ago. But it is about $1,100.

See….

http://www.tenpointcrossbows.com/shop/shopdisplayproducts.asp?id=109

TenPoint has what is called MAP pricing. So they keep their dealers selling at the same price. However, this dealer kicks in some extras which is OK to do. By far the best to deal with ..

Wyvern Creations, Modern Crossbows and Accessories

jath08

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 26, 2012
    Greencastle, IN
    Personally I like the Excaliburs. No cams to have to worry about being nocked out of timing and you can change a string in the field if you have to. Bass Pro has packages ranging from $549 up to $949.

Adrian8

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 5, 2011
    Big old can of worms.. just about everyone likes the crossbow own. There are two differences !. Bows with cams 2.. Bows without cams. Decide if you want a 'compound' crossbow or a Excaliber type with recurve limbs, narrow it down to the make and model.

Bmrdude

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Have had good results with my Parker crossbow. Shop around, research... then decide. Expect to pay $600 plus for a decent crossbow. Then add carbon arrows and broadheads. I like the "rage" broadheads. The last deer I got, left a blood trail in a cornfield that looked like spray-paint... easy tracking... deer only went 20yds. in before dropping. :)

EPD1102

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Evansville
    I like the Excalibur crossbows. They seemed more durable and accurate during my research. I also liked the fact that I could change the string myself instead of having to take it to a bow shop. From the reading I did, I learned that most compound crossbows will need to be re-strung after "about" 200 shots. I like shooting my crossbow and not just zeroing it and hanging it on the wall.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Barnett Quad 400
    150lb draw
    345 fps!
    20" bolt

It's a little heavy, but I sent a single bolt completely through two deer this past season.
    I did not realize that there was a second deer standing behind the one I shot at. Both dropped in less than 30 yards.

That arrow not only went all the way through 2 deer, it went another 25 yards and embedded itself in a tree 1/4" deep!

My Quad 400 cost me $369 shipped to my door from the Sportsman's Guide catalog.

Top Bottom