• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Midwest207

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Indy
    I was talking with a friend over the weekend about the Louisville, KY. gun show and the question came up that we weren't for sure about.
    Living in Indiana is it legal to cross state lines to purchase firearms? Or are we only able to purchase in Indiana?

sj kahr k40

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2009
    I was talking with a friend over the weekend about the Louisville, KY. gun show and the question came up that we weren't for sure about.
    Living in Indiana is it legal to cross state lines to purchase firearms? Or are we only able to purchase in Indiana?

You would have to have a handgun shipped to a FFL in Indiana and do the transfer there, I'm not sure about long guns :dunno:

22rssix

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   2
    Mar 27, 2008
    Indianapolis
    You can buy a long gun from a FFL only.

you can buy a Pistol, but it has to be sent to a FFL in your home state where you do the paperwork.

No FTF sales....

paintball_addiction

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    180   0   0
    Sep 9, 2009
    SW of Indy
    I've been down to Louisiana and bought shotguns from a pawn shop. I filled out a 4473 and it went through. I've been wondering about this though because I thought you could only purchase long guns from your surrounding states. :dunno:

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    Not that Walmart is the go-to expert on this, but I remember seeing a sign next to the long guns at nearly every Walmart I go to that shows what states you can buy in. I believe it had Michigan, Ohio, Kentucky, and Illinios listed.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    For handguns: MUST always go through an FFL in the buyer's home state.

Now, that could mean that an Indiana FFL sets up a table at a Louisville gun show...

Or that the FFL in Salem, Oregon ships it to your FFL here in Indiana.

Paintball-Addiction: Were you able to take your long-guns with you when you purchased or did you have to have them shipped? Do you have a C&R FFL license?

If the ownership of a handgun changes states, it MUST go through an FFL.

MY understanding of long gun purchases is that you can buy out of state and take it with you IF you're in a state that shares a common border with your state of residence. For us, that'd mean MI, IL, KY, and OH. Each State's laws may vary. Bordering state sales still MUST go through an FFL, but can be in either the buyer or seller's home state (provided those states share a common border)

You can also buy a long gun from a FFL in Salem, MA and have it shipped to your FFL here in Indiana.... Provided the state you're buying in allows out-of-staters to purchase.

At least the above is MY understanding of the inter-state transfer requirements. Whether or not a particular FFL in another state abides by them is a different story. (IE, it's not the NICS folks' responsibility to tell the FFL in New Mexico that the firearm purchase being approved needs to be shipped to an FFL in IN)

Racerdj

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 1, 2010
    Indy
    I tired to purchase a Beretta in Florida last year since I own a condo there and found out that I have to have a Florida ID or shipping to an Indiana FFL for transfer.

standeford

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    MY understanding of long gun purchases is that you can buy out of state and take it with you IF you're in a state that shares a common border with your state of residence. For us, that'd mean MI, IL, KY, and OH. Each State's laws may vary. Bordering state sales still MUST go through an FFL, but can be in either the buyer or seller's home state (provided those states share a common border)

That is how it is.

When I was going to the Louisville show there were always IN FFLs set up there who would do handgun transfers right at the show. Some of the bordering gun shops do something similar. I know Whittaker Guns in Owensboro used to have an IN FFL in the shop one day every month.

paintball_addiction

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    180   0   0
    Sep 9, 2009
    SW of Indy
    Paintball-Addiction: Were you able to take your long-guns with you when you purchased or did you have to have them shipped? Do you have a C&R FFL license?

If the ownership of a handgun changes states, it MUST go through an FFL.

Yes, I walked right out the door with my shotguns after he called in the 4473. No I do not have a C&R or FFL license. Your understanding of long gun purchase rules is the same as mine. That is why I am wondering how this transaction was able to take place legally. My residency is in Indiana.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Yes, I walked right out the door with my shotguns after he called in the 4473. No I do not have a C&R or FFL license. Your understanding of long gun purchase rules is the same as mine. That is why I am wondering how this transaction was able to take place legally. My residency is in Indiana.

Short answer: It shouldn't have happened.

That gun shop's ignorance or unwillingness to follow the law can get 'em in trouble.

It may have also put you in legal jeopardy; but I'm not sure.

-J-

paintball_addiction

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    180   0   0
    Sep 9, 2009
    SW of Indy
    Short answer: It shouldn't have happened.

That gun shop's ignorance or unwillingness to follow the law can get 'em in trouble.

It may have also put you in legal jeopardy; but I'm not sure.

-J-

The thing that I'm not understanding is how was it approved when it was called in if it wasn't legal? Do they not check/care about those things. I know that a coworker also bought a shotgun there and went through the same process I did.

paintball_addiction

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    180   0   0
    Sep 9, 2009
    SW of Indy
    I just did a Google search and came across this on another forum. They said this comes from the ATF website

A person may only buy a firearm within the person's own state, except that he or she may buy a rifle or shotgun, in person, at a licensee's premises in any state, provided the sale complies with state laws applicable in the state of sale and the state where the purchaser resides. [18 U. S. C 922( a)( 3) and (5), 922( b)( 3), 27 CFR 178.29]

Long-Gun purchase in another state, possible? - THR

EPD1102

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Evansville
    You can buy long guns and bring them home with you from an adjacent state, except Illinois unless you have an Illinois FOID (Firearms Owner Identification) card or whatever they're called.
    Handguns from another state will have to be shipped to an FFL here in Indiana for the transfer.

Top Bottom