• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • C.H.U.D.

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    Elkhart
    yes your correct I did mean drt ,I was just wondering if anyone had first hand experiance in .223. The reviews i read say works as advertised in rifle cal. just thinking might be worth having a heavy snipe frangilbe

Last edited:

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    What reviews? The ones on Cheaper Than Dirt? Given their insane pricing and crazy shipping, I would not put it past them to write reviews themselves...

The DRT is simply a frangible bullet. Their claims in pistols and rifles of being of superior accuracy is bunk; they are as accurate as any other. The ONLY benefit to a frangible heavy .223 bullet would be its fragmentation threshold would be extended farther out in range. Other than that, meh. Look at long range rifle shooters and accuracy guys: They use open tip and boat tail hollow point ammunition designed for accuracy and with lead cores. If frangible bullets were all that, would they not be using them?

Works as advertised? So, they are shooting people and murdering others left and right for the "instant death" segment of their advertisement? They are using alot of buzz words and garbage language that means little. I could say my Ruger SP101 is a lawenforcement favorite and proven on the street (notice I did not put a space between law and enforcement, so I can deny claim later :D ). They can't say its being used in Iraq, so they say sandbox. Its about vague language now and deniability in claim later. Don't get suckered in!

Overall, the DRT stuff is WAY overpriced and overhyped frangible ammo. They market it as super ammo, instant death, ninja death gas stuff to appeal to the Fudds that are already overpaying for the other items at Cheaper Than Dirt. Go with what works in the real world and that which is proven. In 75gr .223 Remington, Hornady makes a great round that is accurate and consistant. There are LOTS of component bullets (if you handload) available that are in that weight and are superbly consistant and proven to work (not only on game but also in accuracy). Heck, even the Wolf in 75gr weight isn't terrible either (Prvi makes the component bullet for Wolf and Prvi also makes a 75gr weight "match" brass cased ammo too that is worth noting and stocking up on).

C.H.U.D.

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    Elkhart
    The Firing Line
    /showthread.php?t=314100
    This the review Irefer to. Yer long range shooter do use the type ammo you state but a frangiable at moderate range could greatly increase ballistic damage , I agree that this stuff is salty but it could have a perpose in sniping roll the heavys you list could over travel or not cause a big enough wound

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    The link given is a general link to the forum. As for "heavy ammo overpenetration", I have yet to see evidence of such. Maybe with .308, but not .223, at least from the testing done by the US government for their 77gr Mk 262 and the extensive testing done by ARFCOM.

All in all, I would not overpay for frangible ammo (the DRT stuff is more expensive than standard frangible). I would not use frangible ammo for a role as shorter range. I have a feeling the lighter weight individual fragment of the frangible stuff will not have the energy to penetrate deep enough to have a valid effect.

I know folks want to glamourize this stuff. They want to be the person to say "I told you so" when some department adopts this garbage ammo. But the stuff is old tech, old news and is a very poor attempt at such. While a different type of Fudd appealing ammo, I bought some Extreme Shock for my private testing. 2 out of 6 did not even go off, they did not penetrate worth a hoot (other than to give the potential attacker a severe cut) and they jammed. This ammo has the same appeal and general idea of marketing as DRT. Would I trust any other company that markets like that? No. What departments (police) or military (any) use frangibles as mainline issue ammo? What departments issue frangible ammo to their teams to reduce penetration? (of that note, they will issue varmit style bullets to reduce barrier penetration, keep from hitting someone else).

Frangibles are practice ammo, pure and simple. They should not be employed as a mainline ammo as testing throughout recent times has shown it to either not work or not have a valid effect. Stick with tried and true to keep from being black and blue.

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    The test I saw used uncalibrated, "glue slime" not properly calibrated ballistics gel. I would not and could not consider this a scientific test in the slightest. He was using something that was far less viscous and more flexible than ballistics gel.

Cool enough though: The Prvi ammo he tested seemed to do well.

If you want to overspend for garbage ammo, go for it. I just dont think folks should buy into overpriced frangibles that have a history of underpenetration in bad situations.

Top Bottom