Crush Washer for AK LH 14x1 - Does it exist?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TheWabbit

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    In my lair
    All my other AKs have a FSB with the pin to hold the muzzle brake in place but on a VEPR 02, the FSB is integrated on the gas block. I guess I have to use a crush washer but I know nothing about them. They appear to be listed by caliber and some with threading pattern.

Does someone actually make a 7.62 LH 14x1 crush washer or can I use one for a M14 (.308) instead?

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    A crush washer came with my TAT and die from Carolina Shooter's Supply. I can't see anything that would be thread or direction specific. When you tighten the muzzle break down it flattens out the crush washer which acts kind of as a spring to keep tension on the break so it doesn't work it's way loose.

I've seen people just use a split washer or even a rubber washer or oring successfully for the same purpose and they can be found at any hardware store for pennies. They even hold proper index for a slant break.

engineerpower

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jun 1, 2008
    State of Boone
    A crush washer is simply a washer that squishes more than your muzzle device or the barrel shoulder, so you get a good torque without deforming either. It also allows you to time your device properly. Just use a lock washer for a quick fix, or find an appropriately sized copper washer.

N_K_1984

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Dec 15, 2009
    You could always use shims. I shimmed and timed the slant brake on my SA93 since there is no detent pin on the FSB. I shim all my muzzle devices on my ARs, so it came natural to shim my AK when installed the slant brake.

Last edited:

Cerberus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2011
    Floyd County
    The "M14" is referring to the M14x1.0 LH threads on an AK, not an M14 rifle.

The Wabbit wrote "or can I use one for a M14 (.308) instead?" M14 (.308) does not seem in any shape, form or function to imply an M14x1.0LH thread.

OP, if you can find a crush washer for a 9/16 thread it should fork just fine. A 5/8 thread would also, but it would be a very loose fit. What size threads do the .308 ARs use?

TheWabbit

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    In my lair
    The M14 confusion was my fault. I thought it was for the M14 rifle.

I picked up a couple of caps already from a guy on AKFiles to cover the pin holes on the end of the VEPR 54.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom