• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I got confused. I got excited there for a minute because I thought someone wanted to appropriate my horse manure.

...and if someone could determine what culture I represent, then appropriated some part of it in the form of teaching a class advocating what the culture had produced, call me crazy, I think I'd be flattered.

Lowe0

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 22, 2015
    Indianapolis
    We're cool with taking something that used to be religious and secularizing it? Me too. Think I'll go get a red cup from Starbucks, now that that's okay again.

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    Salem
    We're cool with taking something that used to be religious and secularizing it? Me too. Think I'll go get a red cup from Starbucks, now that that's okay again.

Pick any martial art with a religious background...

I could really give two craps what color a Starbucks cup is.

If YOGA (TM) needs trademark protection, then fine - ask for that. But getting all pissy because the person teaching your YOGA (TM) class isn't of a particular race seems over the line to me.

I would think that the spread of your ideas is a GOOD thing. Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, afterall.

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    Salem
    Call something else and move on... erotic stretching?

That's what trademark law is designed for. Protections are in place. That would force someone to use another name (and fair enough, that would make sense to me).

But that would be too EASY... the politically correct crowd has to make some wild ass assertions and shut people down, as opposed to a simple request for a name change - if someone else is the rightful owner/controller of that name.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    If only we'd have concocted "cultural appropriation" sooner. Then we could have thrown stones at David Brubeck.

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    If only we'd have concocted "cultural appropriation" sooner. Then we could have thrown stones at David Brubeck.

I can't wait to see how John "Mahavishnu" McLaughlin holds up to all this. I just had a vision of him sitting cross-legged with a Sitar player on his right, percussionist on the left...and a Monty Python character running across the stage, pursued by security, yelling, "Aha, now you see the violence inherent in the system!"

(Just to be safe...I'm checking my privilege and throwing my Konokol books in the trash).

Last edited:

Doug

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Obviously, it is "cultural appropriation" for any person to speak any language other than their parents.
    ALL CROSS LINGUAL COMUNICATION MUST INSTANTLY CEASE!

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I doubt you'll find a lot of people that appreciate the reference. Love Take 5.
    I don't think a finer group of four musicians has ever been assembled.

But maybe they weren't a fair example of cultural appropriation. After all, Miles Davis said Brubeck couldn't swing, so...

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    Salem
    I don't think a finer group of four musicians has ever been assembled.

But maybe they weren't a fair example of cultural appropriation. After all, Miles Davis said Brubeck couldn't swing, so...

I doubt that many folks here would get the reference - but I grew up just up the road from Ione , California - where he grew up. You couldn't live there and NOT have heard of him.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0

For some reason I just felt a desire to light a smoke and put on my Ray Ban Wayfarers.....

I like when people re appropriate the music of their past and celebrate it.....

[video=youtube;gJL1iDkF3OM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJL1iDkF3OM[/video]

Last edited:

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Obviously, it is "cultural appropriation" for any person to speak any language other than their parents.
    ALL CROSS LINGUAL COMUNICATION MUST INSTANTLY CEASE!

Excellent! So that means our government will quit wasting money printing official documents in 750 different languages now?

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jstan
    Top Bottom