• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mammynun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    New Albany
    I have several firearms that I rarely shoot, and I'm wondering what the current thinking is on long term storage.

At present the guns (long and pistol) are stored in socks, and get inspected every 6-12 months. Most were originally put up with a coating of CLP. I don't use CLP for lube and cleaning any more and the last of my stash it about gone. I'm planning on cleaning off all the CLP and going with something that I can hopefully leave on for years without worry. Yeah, I'll still worry and check them... but I don't want to feel that I have to check them on a regular basis.

I'm not going to go full cosmoline, but I don't mind needing to clean/remove excess before firing. I'd prefer not to have to keep them in sealed bags as I do tend to shoot them, but I'd like to get 3+ years of worry-free protection.

CLP has performed well in my temperature controlled environment, but is there anything better? How do the newer Froglube paste type products stack up? I specifically mention Froglube paste as I was given a big tub of the stuff...

Here's what I'm considering. Removing all CLP, then coating with froglube. Wrapping froglubed weapon in VOC paper and inserting back into gun sock.

t-squared

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 9, 2012
    Crown Point
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    I've been using Hornady One Shot lately. It sprays on and leaves a dry film that is also an excellent lube, so no need to remove before firing. Several tests I read rated it #1 for long term storage, and my experience so far has echoed that. Previously I used CLP and the Breakfree Collector, and neither was totally satisfactory.

bobjones223

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    55   1   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Noblesville, IN
    Ok I have some of my dad's guns that are in the same boat...don't shoot them but will never sell them... I ended up with Shooters Choice Rust Prevent.... Damn close to cosmolene in a spray on form....them put some Decant packs and Food Saver the entire package..... Yes my gun safe looks like grandma's freezer in some areas?.... Ohhhh the shame!....(but it works)

Side note...some guns have a couple of sharp points that will cause the food Saver to loose seal but the holes are so small that with the Decant no problems after 6 years....make your bags long enough you can cut them and reseal a few times just to check on their well being.

03A3

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Shaker Prairie
    I use Birchwood Casey's Barricade. It seems very similar to the old Birchwood Casey Sheath that Barricade must have replaced.
    I've had the Sheath dry out to the consistency of varnish. That was a mess. So far the Barricade hasn't dried out like that.

SnoopLoggyDog

I'm a Citizen, not a subject
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw
    Birchwood Casey's Barricade is good stuff. I have used it along with a Golden Rod in my gun safe to keep the rust away.

I have a fried who stored his family heirloom guns in gun socks. He then put them in the back of the closet and forgot about them. Couple of years later, he took them out and discovered that they had rusted up big time. It was a shame it happened and he was madder than hell at himself.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    This. Rig grease, bearing grease, 10w30, or whatever else will be fine for storage. The thicker the better, but the more pain it will be to clean before shooting.

I put a coat of 10w30 on mine (or whatever, 10w40, 5w30, etc...), and then put them in a silicone impregnated gun sock. Then just stick them in the safe. You can also put a small bowl of baking soda and/or desiccant packets in the safe to soak up any moisture.

I've used Rig grease for 50 years to wipe down everything and I've had zero rust problems

Top Bottom