• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jeronimo

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    AK prices have been heavily fluctuating these past few years. So much so that I have no idea what they should cost anymore. Anyone know a good website to find the current price on imported AK's?

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    Check Gunbroker for asking prices, and check their sold listing to see what they are actually selling for. Many variants are going for crazy high prices. Some there is no reason for, like the WASR series which is still current, to the Chinese which are high, but since their importation has been banned, all that are here are all that will be here, so buyer beware.

38special

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Mooresville
    They're running about $800-1000 these days, but I'll give you a STEAL at $600 for my WASR-10 :D

OK OK...not true. Actually, the WASR's these days can be had for $379-399 usually.

Shoots4Fun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    74   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    I look at Bud's Gun Shop (Guns for Sale) before I buy anything. I haven't bought from them, as I prefer to buy something from the local shops even if it is a little more, but they are a benchmark for me. Just a point of reference really, like gunbroker.

I don't know where you are located, but Kiesler's in Jeffersonville, Indiana has a lot of different AK's and Saiga's in stock usually.

I bought a Yugo underfolder there last year and I have been pleased with its performance and the price I paid. That's saying a lot because there have been so many fluctuations in prices, like you mentioned.

I'm talking mostly surplus style of AK's and variants, so if you are looking for something higher-end, forgive me...I'm not an expert on the many types...

UncleMike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    NE area of IN
    If there is a Dunhams Sports in your area check them out.
    They have WASR 10/63's for $379.99 and AMD 65's for $399.99 this week.
    Mike

g00n24

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    IN
    Not to jack the thread to much, but are there any AK's to stay away from (brand-wise), or be on the look out for. I will be looking to get one this summer (already stocking up ammo haha). Any brands to be on the look out for in the 300-500 price range?

southern.in.guy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 15, 2010
    switzerland county
    Ive seen some Century Arms in some gun shops for $389 just depends on what your looking for due your research find an AK that you like and then try to find the best price. I have an Arsenal SLR 95 with milled receiver and I've seen these AK's go for as little $500 up to $1300 on gunbroker. I paid $350 for mine but those days are gone.

jdhaines

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Toledo, OH
    One point I would make is to think about how you will use it. Do you want something fancy, pretty, to show off to friends or something to use/abuse and shoot.

Generally the consensus is stay away from WASR's if you have to buy sight unseen. Their problems (canted front sight, canted gas block, trigger slap etc.) can generally be fixed via tutorials around the web but it is best to handle them before buying. If you can pick from a few in a shop, chances are you can get a quality rifle for a great price that will outlast you. If you want the best, probably a custom build from someone of Jim Fuller's caliber or even an Arsenal build would be in order. You're talking more time and wait though.

I personally am working on a Saiga conversion as it allows you to have a brand new russian-made AK for less than 500, plus it's fun to work on the gun yourself.

Win52C

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    80   0   0
    Jan 27, 2010
    Lawrence County
    Before the election of our current Commander in Cheif you could buy new WASR AKs with all the trimmings for 450 otd...at pretty much any show..then they jumped to 700-800...for a while and are now back down in the 500 range...at a big show...so almost back to normal...not my fav AK but the most easily obtainable and cheapest I think right now...just my 2 cents

mavisky

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2008
    Greater Atlanta Area
    THe Wasr's are actually in the $300-$400 range

As mentioned above. Try to find a Dunham's sporting goods store near you. Picked up a very basic WASR-10 (not the 10/63 that comes with the slant brake) for $350 with two tapco mags and the tapco trigger group. 1964 build date on it and the front sight was straight along with the gas block. Wood is cheap, but it always is with the WASR line so I just replaced it all.

Shoots4Fun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    74   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    I heard the Dunham's sale was awesome. They usually have a good inventory and frequently have decent sales, like was mentioned, so it is definitely a place to check out...

Not to jack the thread to much, but are there any AK's to stay away from (brand-wise), or be on the look out for. I will be looking to get one this summer (already stocking up ammo haha). Any brands to be on the look out for in the 300-500 price range?

I bought a Yugo M70 last fall and I absolutely love it. To me it was good compromise between price and reliability. I've never heard much bad about them and mine has been awesome to shoot and own. My :twocents:...

sur+rifle

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 10, 2010
    Warrick, IN
    One item to look for is whether or not you can use imported mags and still meet 922r compliance. Those which meet compliance with U.S. internal parts tend to have a better resale value and higher initial purchase price than those which meet compliance via U.S. magazine parts.

Similarly, those AK models which don't accept high capacity mags (i.e. greater than 10 rounds) go for a song. Recently, I have seen them going for under $300 with 10 mags included. Which is a real bargain if you are aren't interested in high capacity.

j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    I just bought a Yugo underfolder M70AB1 with synthetic handguards a few weeks ago at Westside Loan for 325.00 out the door. It had a canted rear sight that bugged the heck out of me. Tore it down and got the sight straight,redrilled the barrel slot and now it is like it should be. Twenty minute job. Late last year I bought a WASR 10 from the same place for 300.00 I like buying used. Let the other guy pay the new price,heck most people will never shoot a gun enough to hurt them.

Top Bottom