• ...and so much more!
  • ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    And there are other sites that say in some circumstances printed is not considered legal and binding. If you can’t sign cursive, that says a lot about you. My sign is atrocious, but I still sign with it. It‘s the correct way to conduct business transactions.
    What exactly does it say?
    So your sign is atrocious, what if someone judges you based on that, that you can’t write cursive up to their standards? Whose standards do we use?

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018

Shadow01

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2011
    WCIn
    What exactly does it say?
    So your sign is atrocious, what if someone judges you based on that, that you can’t write cursive up to their standards? Whose standards do we use?
    It said in some business transactions that the lack of a cursive signature could render the contract void and in instances where a cursive signature could not be given that a notary would be required for the validity of the contract.

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    It said in some business transactions that the lack of a cursive signature could render the contract void and in instances where a cursive signature could not be given that a notary would be required for the validity of the contract.
    Ok, the way I read it earlier it sure sounded you were talking about the character of a man (or some other value) is reflected in his ability to sign cursive. That’s how I read others arguments here as well.

Pertaining to your latest post, can you provide any example of a transaction that would be null and void due to lack of a cursive signature?
    Obviously, I don’t mean printed, just straight printed. Is there someone trying to do this? I mean, I’ve already said I don’t write cursive. I just print really fast. And happen to connect some letters. It’s certainly not art in any way.

To be clear, I’m not all that wrapped up about cursive, but I’ll argue bad logic.

Shadow01

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2011
    WCIn
    Ok, the way I read it earlier it sure sounded you were talking about the character of a man (or some other value) is reflected in his ability to sign cursive. That’s how I read others arguments here as well.

Pertaining to your latest post, can you provide any example of a transaction that would be null and void due to lack of a cursive signature?
    Obviously, I don’t mean printed, just straight printed. Is there someone trying to do this? I mean, I’ve already said I don’t write cursive. I just print really fast. And happen to connect some letters. It’s certainly not art in any way.

To be clear, I’m not all that wrapped up about cursive, but I’ll argue bad logic.
    What I googled said in some business transactions for the contract to be legal it required a cursive signature or a notary that has verified the identity of the one using a mark or printing their name. It didn’t give specifics. I would guess that it would be in a highly valuable circumstance beyond my modest means. Say you are buying Trump towers maybe?

I make judgements every day. I wouldn’t say I look down on people that don’t use cursive when it is appropriate, but I would say it does reflect on them. Like I said, mine is atrocious, but I know to use it at times that are appropriate. If they judge me on poor penmanship, so be it, but at least I grasp the need to sign cursive in important documents. I see it as acknowledging the seriousness of the transaction. Some may not, that doesn’t mitigate that I feel it is important.

MindfulMan

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 14, 2016
    Indiana
    Like shooting, writing in cursive is a skill that must be practiced to maintain skill.
    My handwriting is pathetic these days.
    At my age, signing my name is almost embarrassing.

Whether I think teaching cursive is important is irrelevant.
    Right, or wrong .... a younger generation will make the world that they want to live within.

JRHawkins1118

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2023
    Fort Wayne
    O
    What I googled said in some business transactions for the contract to be legal it required a cursive signature or a notary that has verified the identity of the one using a mark or printing their name. It didn’t give specifics. I would guess that it would be in a highly valuable circumstance beyond my modest means. Say you are buying Trump towers maybe?

I make judgements every day. I wouldn’t say I look down on people that don’t use cursive when it is appropriate, but I would say it does reflect on them. Like I said, mine is atrocious, but I know to use it at times that are appropriate. If they judge me on poor penmanship, so be it, but at least I grasp the need to sign cursive in important documents. I see it as acknowledging the seriousness of the transaction. Some may not, that doesn’t mitigate that I feel it is important.
    Good points. Just look at some medical professional signatures. I’m certain they are not the only ones with pretty rough signatures.

As for purchasing Trump Towers I bet it would have to be a pretty Stormy night to sign off on those buildings.

xwing

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 11, 2012
    Greene County
    Cursive is a dead art with very little real applicability in today's world. If the schools used the time previously spent on cursive to study more math, science and (actual) history, that would be great. But I'm sure they are too busy adding more "I'm offended" and "Americans are evil" indoctrination instead. :(

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Seeing some "rhetorical questions" being posted, how many here are aware many schools aren't teaching cursive handwriting?

We bought our boys some workbooks and are teaching them to read and write it. But if you can't write cursive, how do you sign your name?
    I tutor a student - he sucks at reading, but he can write cursive! :rolleyes:

Personally, I'd rather schools replace it with something more useful.

And more importantly, how do you read the Constitution or the Bill of Rights?
    I'm in my forties, I'm not sure I can make out the original handwriting. I probably can't read the Magna Carta as written or Luther's 99 Thesis, and certainly not Hamurabi's Code.

So what?

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    I tutor a student - he sucks at reading, but he can write cursive! :rolleyes:

Personally, I'd rather schools replace it with something more useful.

I'm in my forties, I'm not sure I can make out the original handwriting. I probably can't read the Magna Carta as written or Luther's 99 Thesis, and certainly not Hamurabi's Code.

So what?
    I have a buddy into genealogy who was talking about reading deeds and other info from the 1830’s and 40’s, and he mentioned he couldn’t hardly read it.
    Made me think of this thread.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    How do you read the Bible if you can't read Aramaic?

This is such a stupid argument. How many people read the original bill of rights? Also their cursive doesn't match the current version of cursive.

Cursive is unnecessary and we don't need to force students to learn it. The best option would be to make it an elective class not a requirement.
    It's not even worthy of a full elective class - it's not like a foreign language, and it's certainly something anyone can pickup in a week.
    That doesn't answer the question about signatures. A printed signature isn't a signature.
    And what has become a series of scribbles in my signature no longer qualifies as cursive writing; it's just a distinct series of hand movements translated via pen.

A printed signature certainly qualifies so long as it's yours.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    The state is hot and cold on cursive handwriting. There is more of a push for the lower grades. The higher grades just need to be reported to the state if you are doing it. There might have been a bill passed last year or early this year, but it’s not really significant.
    INGOtarians: "The government needs to get out of schools!"
    Also INGOtarians: "The government needs to force schools to teach what I want!"

For some state rep, it's certainly a way to get your name out there - write a bill demanding some hotbutton issue gets taught.

I'd rather spend that time on just general communication skills, i.e. how to write an effective email with good grammar.

It's part of the dumbing down of children. I bet the students who don't know cursive do know all about gender equality, diversity, trans gender/gay rights, etc.
    Now that, is a straw man argument. It's perfectly possible to not go woke and forego cursive writing.

Top Bottom