• ...and so much more!
  • BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I just finished hand-writing a thank you note and mailing it off. I used cursive when writing the note, but I've noticed that a lot of young people print notes, and many only use capital letters. I know that there are a lot of young people on this board. I'm just curious. Do they even teach cursive in school these days?

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    I'm 37 and have not written in cursive since grade school...and I was terrible at it. I took years of drafting so I block print everything. My signature is pretty much a scribble. My 4th grader has cursive homework so it is still taught. Most paperwork needs to be block printed and the advent of email...few hand written letters anymore. Letters seems like they were the only place to use that style of handwriting.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I figure all U.S. kids use computers to type their reports, etc. OTOH, I didn't learn how to type until we bought our first computer 20+ years ago. The first thing I did on the computer was to install a "learn to type" program and let it teach me how to type. Although they were expensive back then, buying a computer and learning how to use it was a smart decision for us. "Windows" really made it all so easy.

As has been said, the only thing that cursive is used for anymore is probably notes in cards. I just didn't know if it was taught any longer in the schools. I suppose there is really no need for it.

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    Had a proper education, so I had to learn cursive ricky tick. Funny thing is I screwed up and wrote a production order in cursive and the folks in back didn't know what it said, not due to poor handwriting, but they could not read cursive. Keep in mind, the ages back there run anywhere from 18 to 70 so it's not just an age thing, it's a quality of education thing. :twocents:

sparky241

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 18, 2008
    a62c9b7b7296c60e746db75e11c8bd8b.png

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    I use cursive when writing something for myself, but I print if it's for someone else, because it's tough to read.

Most anything I write is done on a computer though...I don't know how many words a minute I can type anymore, but it's alot.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I just finished hand-writing a thank you note and mailing it off. I used cursive when writing the note, but I've noticed that a lot of young people print notes, and many only use capital letters. I know that there are a lot of young people on this board. I'm just curious. Do they even teach cursive in school these days?

I can not right in cursive for crap anymore, unless it's my name. In the service, we had to use all capitol block letters. So, that how I write now.

Suprtek

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    Wanamaker
    I'm in my mid forties, I was taught how in school and I can still do it reasonably well when I want to. It just seems like there is little reason to anymore. I remember as a kid seeing my father's block printing and really admiring how cool it looked. Trying to be like dad is how I got started block printing nearly everything.

wrigleycub

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 29, 2010
    West side of Indy
    I'm 31 and i have written cursive as long as I can remember. I guess i have always written in cursive due to the time it takes. Handwriting for me that flows seems to be faster than print. A couple of years ago I had a younger member (about 10 years younger) of my workforce ask me what it was. I couldn't believe it, he really didn't know what cursive was or how to read it

Will-IB-Ready

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2011
    Michigan
    I have a terrible habit of starting to write something and then slipping in and out of cursive... :dunno:

I wish I could blame it on a bad education, but most likely it's just my own laziness and lack of focus...:n00b:

Gareth

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I frequently use cursive to write. It's quicker than printing for me. And my cursive is as legible today as it was when it was taught to me in elementary school.

My older brother was a natural master of calligraphy. His handwriting was not only legible, but aesthetically appealing.

I never did learn how to type in a manner other than hunt and peck, which has always worked just fine for me. :D

Vince49

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 13, 2010
    Indy urban west.
    Too many forms!

I am a Old fart like you Mike and I quit using cursive in 1968 while filling out -12's! :D

As has been said, the only thing that cursive is used for anymore is probably notes in cards. I just didn't know if it was taught any longer in the schools. I suppose there is really no need for it.[/quote]

Top Bottom