• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 23, 2009
    Brainardland
    I have a S&W 2nd Model Hand Ejector in .455 Webley, one of the WWI contract guns for either the Brits or Canadians.

I'm considering the idea of converting it to make it an EDC.

Can a smithy here give me a ball park figure as to what it would set me back to:

1) Shorten the barrel to 3.5" and install a ramp sight

2) Bob the hammer

3) Remove the lanyard swivel

4) Convert it to .45 Colt.

I'm having a hard time making up my mind as to whether to do this to an historic revolver. But as it stands now it's a safe queen. A .45 Colt Hand ejector with a 3.5" tube would make one hell of a classy carry gun.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    I have a S&W 2nd Model Hand Ejector in .455 Webley, one of the WWI contract guns for either the Brits or Canadians.

I'm considering the idea of converting it to make it an EDC.

Can a smithy here give me a ball park figure as to what it would set me back to:

1) Shorten the barrel to 3.5" and install a ramp sight

2) Bob the hammer

3) Remove the lanyard swivel

4) Convert it to .45 Colt.

I'm having a hard time making up my mind as to whether to do this to an historic revolver. But as it stands now it's a safe queen. A .45 Colt Hand ejector with a 3.5" tube would make one hell of a classy carry gun.
    I'm not sure who in IN would even do that?

jcj54

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2013
    NE
    Converting S&W hand ejector in .455 to .45 Colt will require a new cylinder as the existing cylinder is too short. Also, the hammer is light by post WW2 standards and results in misfires when bobbed, requiring a heavier hammer spring which increases trigger pull. I have one of these which was converted to .45 acp by facing the back of the cylinder, had the barrel shortened, and hammer bobbed. I am searching for a pre ww2 hammer because postwar ones don't fit. I tried a heavier hammer spring, but when it reliably sets off rounds the trigger is unpleasantly heavy.
    My suggestion is find a 25-5 and have the barrel cut down.

Bosshoss

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 11, 2009
    MADISON
    Converting S&W hand ejector in .455 to .45 Colt will require a new cylinder as the existing cylinder is too short. Also, the hammer is light by post WW2 standards and results in misfires when bobbed, requiring a heavier hammer spring which increases trigger pull. I have one of these which was converted to .45 acp by facing the back of the cylinder, had the barrel shortened, and hammer bobbed. I am searching for a pre ww2 hammer because postwar ones don't fit. I tried a heavier hammer spring, but when it reliably sets off rounds the trigger is unpleasantly heavy.
    Bobbing a hammer doesn't cause misfires in a centerfire revolver using modern primers. In fact it reduces them with the same hammer spring and yoke screw length.
    That is the reason that competitors run bobbed hammers in their revolvers with very light double action pulls.
    Many things cause misfires like endshake or hammer is rubbing on something when it is falling and slowing it down.
    On your gun if the back of cylinder was faced off for moonclip clearance it might have had a little to much removed and excessive headspace is causing misfires.

Slow Hand

Master
    Rating - 99.3%
    146   1   0
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side

the cylinder will work. But not with all bullet designs. I have one that has been rechambered and it will fit most RNFP bullets in it. I like the old Keith design 454424, so I load mine into 45 S&W cases for plenty of clearance and also to make sure I never get a hotter loaded round into the old gal.

Slow Hand

Master
    Rating - 99.3%
    146   1   0
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side
    this is one I bought already rechambered and reblued so I wasn’t worried about value. I cut it down to 4” and mounted a front sight to it. I shoot it with basically .45 acp load data in .45 S&W cases. I really like the 454424 SWC bullet but for plinking it shoots as well with a case 200 rnfp from a Lee six cavity mold.

Walking Bear

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 21, 2017
    Floyds Knobs
    Hamilton Bowen took 38/44 and converted them to 45 Colt it was a super EDC. The cost of them made it unreasonable. I say go for it. Guns should be what you want it to be. Good luck

Top Bottom