• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • InyDan

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 26, 2011
    So, I'm new to shooting. I took an NRA Basic Pistol course a few months ago. and have been going to a range every few weeks. I've gotten comfortable with my Glock 22, and I feel like I'm getting pretty accurate with it.

I picked up a new Kahr CW9, cleaned it, worked the slide a few thousand times, and put 250 rounds through it. I've had no problems during the break-in period, and I think this is really nice gun. Except;

The majority of my shots a just a little left of where I'm trying to put them. It's a pretty consistant issue, or as consistant as I can shoot, anyway. At first, I figured it was just getting used to the new gun, and a different kind of sight than I'm used to with my Glock. But I'm starting to wonder if I don't need to adjust the sights. I've been reding this forum for awhile, and I havent seen a lot of discussion about adjusting sights on brand new guns, so I'm willing to believe that I just need to get used to it. But I'm curious, how common is it to need to make sight adjustments?

Littlejoe

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Elrod Indiana
    So, I'm new to shooting. I took an NRA Basic Pistol course a few months ago. and have been going to a range every few weeks. I've gotten comfortable with my Glock 22, and I feel like I'm getting pretty accurate with it.

I picked up a new Kahr CW9, cleaned it, worked the slide a few thousand times, and put 250 rounds through it. I've had no problems during the break-in period, and I think this is really nice gun. Except;

The majority of my shots a just a little left of where I'm trying to put them. It's a pretty consistant issue, or as consistant as I can shoot, anyway. At first, I figured it was just getting used to the new gun, and a different kind of sight than I'm used to with my Glock. But I'm starting to wonder if I don't need to adjust the sights. I've been reding this forum for awhile, and I havent seen a lot of discussion about adjusting sights on brand new guns, so I'm willing to believe that I just need to get used to it. But I'm curious, how common is it to need to make sight adjustments?
    I have a cw9 and had the same thing happen.I was used to the Glock site as well with a little bump of the rear sight it is right on. But i have the right tools to do it. I hate to see you mark up your new gun. You said you was new to shooting so maybe you can find someone with the right tools to help you... I feel the CW9 is a great pistol

Last edited:

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    Its probably just adjusting to a different sight picture. Also try different ammo some guns are picky about what they like and dont. I know if i shoot my Sig alot then switch to my M&P i have to readjust my hold and aim. Welcome to INGO!

Littlejoe

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Elrod Indiana
    Its probably just adjusting to a different sight picture. Also try different ammo some guns are picky about what they like and dont. I know if i shoot my Sig alot then switch to my M&P i have to readjust my hold and aim. Welcome to INGO!
    What you said is very true, Shoot it some more before you go moving things

subtlesixer03

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 22, 2010
    My honist guess is you are squeezing your middle finger and ring finger when you pull the trigger. Try some dry fire pulls slowly and and watch your fingers. (Clear your gun!!!!) (Clear it again!!!!) It is just enough most of the time to cause what is happing. It tends to show up more with the smaller guns. Smaller sight radius, barrel and grip whould be most likly why it shows up in them as it magnifies errors like long range shooting does in rifles. Keeping both thumbs pointed at the target helped fix it with me and a crap load of dry fire and ammo as well.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    It tends to show up more with the smaller guns. Smaller sight radius, barrel and grip whould be most likly why it shows up in them as it magnifies errors like long range shooting does in rifles. Keeping both thumbs pointed at the target helped fix it with me and a crap load of dry fire and ammo as well.[/QUOTE]

+1 the smaller the gun the harder it is to shoot accurately, Practice Practice Practice Practice Practice Practice Practice Practice. Then if it still shoots left move the sights.

InyDan

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 26, 2011
    Rats, it looks like I need to keep shooting... Poor, poor me... :)

Thanks for the feedback, guys. I appreciate it.

GTM

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    Bloomington +/- 20 miles
    It may be the difference in trigger. I have a G26 and a Kahr CM9. The longer trigger pull on the CM9 takes some practice getting used to. You may be pushing the gun to the left due to the longer trigger pull. Buy some snap caps and practice dry firing to see if that helps.

InyDan

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 26, 2011
    I have to say, I've been on quite a few forums, and this one is about the best I've seen for daily activity, and good advice to questions. Thanks for the tips, everyone. I've learned a lot from you guys, and I'm sure that will continue.

Top Bottom